Besides 'because the bible says so'....

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Besides 'because the bible says so'....

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

Let's leave out the 'because the bible says' arguments for this thread; biblical quoting is pointless in this discussion as a book claiming itself to be true is ludicrous and is seemingly only permissible with the bible itself.

What are the (I'd guess) many reasons why someone that currently doesn't believe in the biblical god* should believe in the biblical god?
Are there any items you can point to nature and say "See? God!" without debate?
Are there actions that everyone comes in contact with that says "See? God!" without debate?
Are there any part of humanity where one can point and say "See? God!" without debate?
Or are all non-biblical references to God simply too personalized to use in this scenario?

* Biblical god here meaning not 'a god' but the god as described in the current, modern Christian bible from both Testaments

historia
Prodigy

Re: Besides 'because the bible says so'....

Post #31

Post by historia »

Youkilledkenny wrote:
Besides 'because the bible says so'.... What are the things that makes one believe in God?
Arguments for the existence of God outside of revelation are generally referred to as 'natural theology'. This includes cosmological, teleological, and ontological arguments, as well as arguments from consciousness, reason, morality, religious experience and miracles.

Each of those, of course, deserve their own thread (if not multiple threads), so I'm not sure what, if anything, you hoped to accomplish with so broad a question here.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #32

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 31 by historia]

The hope was to see what, if any, independent thought existed outside of "well, to quote the bible..." or the like.
Rather that includes items that you listed or others would be up to the individual to include.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 5 by ttruscott]
ttruscott wrote: I've not seen 'because the bible says' in this place for the last 5 years..
What's the proof of God's existence, then?

:)

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Blastcat »

historia wrote:
Each of those, of course, deserve their own thread (if not multiple threads), so I'm not sure what, if anything, you hoped to accomplish with so broad a question here.
Perhaps a broad kind of understanding.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by polonius »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 5 by ttruscott]
ttruscott wrote: I've not seen 'because the bible says' in this place for the last 5 years..
What's the proof of God's existence, then?

RESPONSE: Common sense. There was always something in existence which had, in some way. to contain all that was subsequently going to exist, or we would have to have had creation from nothing.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Zzyzx »

polonius.advice wrote:
Blastcat wrote: What's the proof of God's existence, then?
RESPONSE: Common sense. There was always something in existence which had, in some way. to contain all that was subsequently going to exist, or we would have to have had creation from nothing.
UNcommon sense (apparently) tells me to NOT claim to know what I do not know -- and to avoid presenting guesses / speculation / conjecture as though it was knowledge (only present speculation if clearly and honestly identified as speculation / opinion and NOT masquerading as truth or knowledge).

Origin of 'everything in existence' is beyond current human knowledge. A few astrophysicists study such things and propose THEORIES. Many religionists study ancient texts (if even that) and claim to KNOW.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #37

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 35 by polonius.advice]

Why do so many people revert to the "well if not THIS then we came from nothing" response? That seems to indicate if it wasn't God, then it was nothing. That seems short sighted to think there are only THIS or THAT available.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 35 by polonius.advice]

[center]Just because something makes sense to me, it doesn't mean it's true.
Just because something doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't mean its false.
[/center]

Blastcat wrote: What's the proof of God's existence, then?
polonius.advice wrote:
RESPONSE: Common sense.

You think that your common sense can serve as proof of god?
Maybe common sense isn't the kind of tool needed for the job.

polonius.advice wrote:
There was always something in existence
You know about "always"?
Some people think they know about "always".

I'm very skeptical of these kinds of INCREDIBLE claims.

polonius.advice wrote:
which had, in some way.
Probably some magical way.
Right?

polonius.advice wrote:
to contain all that was subsequently going to exist,
The whole universe was "contained" in your god?
Some pregnancy!!

I wonder how long the gestation period was and just who it was that crammed the universe INTO god. ( or impregnated god )

polonius.advice wrote:
or we would have to have had creation from nothing.
How do you know the universe didn't come from nothing?
I'd guess.... you really don't.

I'd guess... you are guessing.

If the universe was CONTAINED in God... and god is eternal in the past.. then the universe was contained eternally in the past, or God created it from nothing.. and .. apparently, that's not allowed. Your explanation could generate maybe a dozen more questions like that.

When an explanation is way less understandable than what it tries to explain.. that's a failure. You may want to try again.

I think you just said that the universe existed eternally in the past but was "contained" in a universe container that you seem to call "God".

How very odd.
But it's even odder to me that you would EVER claim to know that.

I think you're just guessing, right?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #39

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 38 by Blastcat]
You know about "always"?
Some people think they know about "always".

I'm very skeptical of these kinds of INCREDIBLE claims.
Technically, polonius is right there. If we take 'always' to mean 'throughout all of time', existence has occurred throughout all of time, from the moment time itself began at the Big Bang.
In other words...there has never been a moment in time where no thing has existed.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by Blastcat »

[center]

No time like the time that wasn't before time began to start a plan, or something like that.
[/center]

rikuoamero wrote:
Technically, polonius is right there. If we take 'always' to mean 'throughout all of time', existence has occurred throughout all of time, from the moment time itself began at the Big Bang.
In other words...there has never been a moment in time where no thing has existed.
Oh, ok.

I thought he meant "always" as eternally in the past as God has been sometimes described, you know.. before the Big Bang banged God hanged with the angels.

I took "always" for "forever".

You are saying that "always" means "since we think that time itself began". Nothing at all existed before there ever was a before anything existed.

That would mean that God began at the Big Bang, too.
I hardly think apologists would agree with that.

Although.. I seem to recall Willy Craig saying something like that.. God might have existed in potentiality but only became IN EXISTENCE at the same time as time began. Which God began. At the same time as he did. In eternity.

( I think I don't have it quite right )