What good things can we learn?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

What good things can we learn?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Evangelicals, what good things can we learn from other religions.

In my experience Evangelicals know very little about the major forms of Christianity, i.e. Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, not to mention other, non-Christian religions. And very often, what they do know is based on bias and misconceptions.

Willful ignorance seems to prevail in Evangelical circles.

So...Evangelicals, prove me wrong. Please demonstrate that you know about and appreciate at least some aspects of other religions.

And non-Theists,... can religion teach us anything about how to live a good life in the here and now? Is so, what?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: What good things can we learn?

Post #11

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 10 by Elijah John]
do any of the worlds great religiions teach anything useful and practical as how to live a good life in this life?
Depends on what qualifies a 'a great religion' I suppose. I'd think most of the common ones do, to some degree, but it depends on what one considers 'good'. To the extreme, killing others might seem 'good' to some, but not everyone (and likely no the 'others' lol)
How to be better people even if one does not believe in God per se?
A person can be 'good' (and better) independent of any god or God.
Some Jews embrace the ethics and traditions of Judaism, without even believing in God. And is sure does seem to make them better people, in spite of the fact that they don't "believe".
Looks like you provided an answer to the question...

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:
ttruscott wrote: We can learn the necessity of the command Revelation 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "'Come out of her, my people,' so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues;
What makes you think that other religions, like say, Judaism, Islam and Buddhism practice and teach people to sin?
No one needs to learn how to sin - it is their nature from before they are conceived.
So your answer then is that good Christians can learn nothing from other religions, even God-centered religions, except to avoid them?
Isaiah 60:12 For the nation and kingdom that will not serve you shall perish; those nations shall be utterly laid waste.

Zephaniah 3:8 “Therefore wait for me,� declares the Lord, “for the day when I rise up to seize the prey. For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of my jealousy all the earth shall be consumed.

Such references are not so much to political, cultural nations as to religious nations, including Christian nations in name only.
They have nothing of the Truth, no working of the Spirit in the good things that they teach?
The secular and the religious nations have more to teach about how to live in this reality than Christianity does with its focus on how to attain the next reality and live with GOD. Thus Matthew 10:16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. The snakes are shrewd in the ways of the world...the doves live by faith.

All the good things of law and proper culture in all the world are from the Holy Spirit restraining the natural evil of all the world. I see the Holy Spirit in all such good things but sadly, His praise is given to idols. Few, as in individuals, not groups, enter the narrow gate.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #13

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 12 by ttruscott]
No one needs to learn how to sin
You're right - once there are rules and the ability to abide by the rule or not, you have that option. Oddly enough, sin exists because God created it and allows it to flourish.
it is their nature from before they are conceived.
There is no proof of that
The secular and the religious nations have more to teach about how to live in this reality than Christianity does with its focus on how to attain the next reality and live with GOD
You're right. But one is 'here and now' and the other is, at best 'a possibility', I'd personally stick to the 'here and now' (which is to say not anything to do with the Christian god).
All the good things of law and proper culture in all the world are from the Holy Spirit restraining the natural evil of all the world.
Some people say things are 'good' that others don't see as good. Are both of those things from the holy spirit or only the Christian ones?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by ttruscott »

imCo
Youkilledkenny wrote: Oddly enough, sin exists because God created it and allows it to flourish.
There is no proof of this quote...in the spirit of your next point.
it is their nature from before they are conceived.
There is no proof of that
If you want to move over to the theology forum I will provide much Biblical support for this pov.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #15

Post by Elijah John »

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Elijah John]
How to be better people even if one does not believe in God per se?
A person can be 'good' (and better) independent of any god or God.
Some Jews embrace the ethics and traditions of Judaism, without even believing in God. And is sure does seem to make them better people, in spite of the fact that they don't "believe".
Looks like you provided an answer to the question...
Yes, one can be good independent of any belief in God, but from my Theistic pov I would say that it is God working nonetheless in said person's life, causing them to love, and follow the good. They are living according to their best Lights.

Regarding the example of atheistic Jews, Judaism teaches that obedience, halacha, is more important than belief. So God honors obedience even if one cannot believe, for whatever reason.

-YHVH is LORD

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #16

Post by Kenisaw »

Elijah John wrote: Evangelicals, what good things can we learn from other religions.

In my experience Evangelicals know very little about the major forms of Christianity, i.e. Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, not to mention other, non-Christian religions. And very often, what they do know is based on bias and misconceptions.

Willful ignorance seems to prevail in Evangelical circles.

So...Evangelicals, prove me wrong. Please demonstrate that you know about and appreciate at least some aspects of other religions.

And non-Theists,... can religion teach us anything about how to live a good life in the here and now? Is so, what?
Can religion teach us anything about how to live a good life? Absolutely.

Do we need religion in order to know and use those things that teach us anything about how to live a good life? Absolutely not.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #17

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 14 by ttruscott]
There is no proof of this quote...in the spirit of your next point.
Then the only other option is if God doesn't allow it to exist and flourish, then he's powerless to do anything about it.
So either he allows it because he COULD do something about it or it exists because he CAN'T do anything about it.
If you want to move over to the theology forum I will provide much Biblical support for this pov.
You brought it up so you're free to open your own thread there if you haven't already.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by ttruscott »

Youkilledkenny wrote:Then the only other option is if God doesn't allow it to exist and flourish, then he's powerless to do anything about it.
Are you sure the syntax of this sentence is what you want? If HE doesn't allow sin, it proves HE is powerless???
So either he allows it because he COULD do something about it or it exists because he CAN'T do anything about it.
OH, HE allows sin / evil alright and HE indeed is doing something about it everyday in order to bring HIS sinful elect (who are sinful by their own free will) to redemption and then, when the last sinful elect person repents in full, HE will indeed do the final "thing about it," the judgement and banishment of all evil and evil people to the outer darkness. imo

Elijah John
Savant

Post #19

Post by Elijah John »

Ironic that on this thread so far only atheists/agnostics or non-Theists say we can learn some constructive things from religion, whereas no Christian has yet indicated that we can learn anything constructive from other religions.

Perhaps the OP was unclear about what kind of things I was looking for. An interesting debate/discussion for one, but here are some examples that will hopefully get the ball rolling with answers other than (in effect) "sin, they only teach us sin", or "nothing, we can learn nothing form other religions"

How about these:

From Judaism, we learn the importance of remembering God, all throughout the day with Mitzvot and blessings. Sanctifying the "mundane"..by remembering Him..

From Eastern religion, we learn balance and harmony...moderation. Something that yes, is there in Christianity but is often buried under the hyperbole of extremes: "Sell all you have", "cut off your hand", "hate your parents" etc,...that kind of hyperbole.

From Taoism, we can learn to "go with the flow" a little bit more, not to struggle or strive quite so much.

From Islam we can learn dedication to prayer, daily, (5x) prayer. And that actions are not all good, or all bad. Some are required, some encouraged, some allowed, some discouraged, and some forbidden.

And from pagans, Wiccans and Native American religion we learn to see the sacred in Creation. Celtic Christianity, and St' Francis teach us similar things but in a Christian context. (instead of "Father Sun/Sky, it is "Brother Sun"...instead of "Mother Earth/Moon, it is "Sister Earth, Moon) acknowledging the planet as our fellow Creature.

And yes, even from atheists, and Deists, Christians can learn healthy skepticism, and the importance of Reason.

From Confucianism, we learn the importance of structure in society, beginning with the individiual in the family, and extended to respect for authority.

So, does anyone have any other examples to add, debate or discuss? Hopefully.....

So far, I am dissapointed but not surprised at the Christian response here. (or lack thereof) So Christians, prove me wrong. Show me that you are not ignorant or that you are not completely indifferent and unappreciative of other religions.

Show me that you can see some good in the approaches of even those who differ from you in your approach to God.

Even Islam teaches more understanding, when the Qur'an says that faithful "people of the Book", (Jews and Christians) will have nothing to fear or regret from God.

-YHVH is LORD

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #20

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 18 by ttruscott]

If HE doesn't allow sin, it proves HE is powerless???
Yes. Or doesn't give three hoots about what's going on.
I suppose for those who worship it they can create any excuse. It's easy after all to make a claim that can't be substantiated.
HE indeed is doing something about it everyday...HE will indeed do the final "thing about it," the judgement and banishment of all evil and evil people to the outer darkness. imo
Words are cheap. IMO.