What is 'the meaning of life'?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

What is 'the meaning of life'?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

The term 'meaning of life' (or its offset, 'meaningless life') frequently appear(s) in these debates.

What, EXACTLY, do you mean when you use the term?

What, exactly, causes life to have 'meaning' (or to lack meaning)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: What is 'the meaning of life'?

Post #21

Post by Zzyzx »

ttruscott wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: As far as I can see, the only difference between a believer in God and a non-believer is that the believer believes he has God giving him that meaning and purpose, while the atheist doesn't.

The fact that I have so much meaning and purpose in my life as an atheist is major evidence that no gods are needed for such a thing.
On a secular level I agree.
Isn't the real world we inhabit 'on a secular level'?
ttruscott wrote: I've been over the fence and under the hedgerow myself. I went thru an existential phase in college where I had to create my own meaning for my life and I failed.
Exactly. You FAILED to create meaning for your life – so you 'turned to God'. Keep in mind that many do NOT fail to find meaning. Just because you couldn't is no indication that 'God' is necessary for others.
ttruscott wrote: I lived a meaningless (hedonistic) life for too long with suicide a constant option.
Condolences. It is unfortunate that you did not or could not find meaning through worthwhile pursuits, accomplishments, relationships, experiences. Perhaps if circumstances had been different (or you had been different) you would not have failed
ttruscott wrote: Being smitten by GOD put me on my feet and gave me a real place in life with a purpose.
Congratulations for finding a way out of your meaningless life with suicide a constant option. Evidently many people share that inability and that 'solution'. Many others of us do NOT share that inability. We are able to find / develop / earn meaning and purpose without recourse to supernaturalism.

If it works for you, great. But don't let that lead to thinking that religion or 'God' is required to give life meaning and purpose for others.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

[Replying to post 21 by Zzyzx]
If it works for you, great.
That is right.

It is not anyone's right to judge others as FAILURES because they find or do not find the 'meaning of life' through GOD.

I think there are all kinds of meaning of life. Is there an overall meaning of life for the human species?

What, if anything, does the existence of life on this planet tell us about any likely meaning of life?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: .
ttruscott wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: As far as I can see, the only difference between a believer in God and a non-believer is that the believer believes he has God giving him that meaning and purpose, while the atheist doesn't.

The fact that I have so much meaning and purpose in my life as an atheist is major evidence that no gods are needed for such a thing.
On a secular level I agree.
Isn't the real world we inhabit 'on a secular level'?
No, not for me where the secular takes a far distant place to the reality of the spiritual.
ttruscott wrote: I've been over the fence and under the hedgerow myself. I went thru an existential phase in college where I had to create my own meaning for my life and I failed.
Exactly. You FAILED to create meaning for your life – so you 'turned to God'.
You misrepresent me - I did not turn to GOD. While I rejected HIM, HE grabbed me and shook me and killed me and then brought me back to life. Then over a few years HE explained the meaning of my life to me. I don't think this is the same as what you wrote.
ttruscott wrote: Being smitten by GOD put me on my feet and gave me a real place in life with a purpose.
Congratulations for finding a way out of your meaningless life with suicide a constant option.
I did not find a way out, I was dragged out against my will.
If it works for you, great. But don't let that lead to thinking that religion or 'God' is required to give life meaning and purpose for others.
Did I say that? I doubt it but if I did I was wrong...if I did not why are you scolding me? I tried to say this very thing in the first statement you queried: On a secular level I agree. Did you not see what I was agreeing to?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #24

Post by Kenisaw »

Zzyzx wrote: .
The term 'meaning of life' (or its offset, 'meaningless life') frequently appear(s) in these debates.

What, EXACTLY, do you mean when you use the term?

What, exactly, causes life to have 'meaning' (or to lack meaning)?
Life has no specific meaning. Any meaning that a person feels or has in relation to their life is something they assigned themselves.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #25

Post by OnceConvinced »

ttruscott wrote: On a secular level I agree. I've been over the fence and under the hedgerow myself. I went thru an existential phase in college where I had to create my own meaning for my life and I failed.
I don't expect you to share anything personal, but I have to wonder just how much of your purpose you have now is the same as what you had before Christianity. When I was a Christian, I had purposes in life such as being the best father I could (and thus glorify God), best partner (and thus glorify God), best employee (and thus glorify God), . I believed God wanted me to see as much of his wonderful creation as possible (and worship him in it). I believed that one of my purposes was to have books published - Christian ones as well as secular. I also believed my purpose was to lead others to Christ and to mentor them. To be a Christian example to my friends and associates. Provide leadership in my church.

Now what are my purposes? Just take out anything relating to Jesus, God and the church and you have them.

Being the best father I can, best partner, best employee. I want to see and enjoy as much of this wonderful world as possible. I want to have books published. I want to lead and mentor others to have the best life they can and to be productive members of society. I want to be an example to my friends and associates. Provide leadership where it is needed.

Nothing has changed that drastically. I even have new ones now too.

I don't believe there is anything that much drastically different between a standard Christian's purpose in life and that of the atheist. Just no God included in it.

ttruscott wrote: I lived a meaningless (hedonistic) life for too long with suicide a constant option.
I'll admit, I went through a terribly miserable time when I lost my faith. It was a very difficult 5 years and there were times where I even thought I would be better off dead than having to go through the pain of losing my faith and the benefits that came with it. However now I am over that and am glad to be alive. I don't want to die. I want to stay alive for as long as I possibly can and enjoy everything that life has to offer. Life for me now is so good. So much better and more fulfilling then it was any time as a Christian.
ttruscott wrote: Being smitten by GOD put me on my feet and gave me a real place in life with a purpose. <shrug>
I personally think that a change of perspective can do wonders, which is why "God" can do so much for a person, especially when they are in a place of great despair. A new outlook. A new lease on life. Even if that god is not real, it can act as a mighty placebo.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World