Pressing matters of the day and of all time, debated among thoughtful participants of all faiths

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Reply to topic
Elijah John
First Post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 pm  JW organization. Reply with quote

Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to:

-vote
-celebrate birthdays
-celebrate Christmas or Easter
-donate or receive blood transfusions.

And if any JW openly persists in doing these things[edit to add publicly], they will be shunned or disfellowshipped, [edit to add or otherwise admonished or disciplined.]

For debate,

1) what do any of these check-list prohibitions have to do with Christianity?

2) And are any of these prohibitions compatible with the idea of Christian freedom?

3) Are these prohibitions arbitrary or legalistic?

4) And could Jehvoah's Witness as an organization flourish without these particular prohibitions and still honor God?

Please address any or all of the above.
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 281: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 pm
Re: JW organization.

Like this post
[Replying to post 279 by Elijah John]

"Yehovah" is definitely not correct, however.

Many Bibles simply use the term "the Lord" because people get confused on the names of God. For the laity, it makes it easier just to say 'the Lord," than in going into all this history bout names.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 282: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Like this post
hoghead1 wrote:

[Replying to post 279 by Elijah John]

"Yehovah" is definitely not correct, however.

Many Bibles simply use the term "the Lord" because people get confused on the names of God. For the laity, it makes it easier just to say 'the Lord," than in going into all this history bout names.

No excuse. The whole JW systems foundation is sinking sand because of these blatant lies add to scripture. They are not seeking truth they are just defending bias and error.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 283: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Like this post
Benoni wrote:

The whole JW systems foundation is sinking sand because of these blatant lies add to scripture. They are not seeking truth they are just defending bias and error.

Those are some serious accusations: would you care to substantiate them?

(The God of the bible most definitely has a personal name that is represented in Hebrew by the four letters YHWH and those letters are completely different from the Hebrew word ELOHIM which is the plural form of GOD, so to imply that Elohim is the personal Name of God is an error. I would advise you to use google and google the word "The TETRAGRAMMATON").

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

YouTube

JWB >> FOS >> TALKS: Geoffrey W. Jackson: The Divine Name of Our Heavenly Father
http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODStudio/pub-jwban_201506_1_VIDEO

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 284: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:25 am

Like this post
[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I ALREADY DID IF YOU READ MY POST. The name Jehovah is not the first name/title in the Bible but your so call experts ignored this fact and inserted/added the word Jehovah there where it should of been Elohim as well as hundreds of times though out the whole Bible. You claim to be literalist but this bias acts proves all you care about is defending turf and keep this lie going. Talk about sinking sand and promoting a lie. Try seeking truth.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 285: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 am

Like this post
Benoni wrote:

I ALREADY DID IF YOU READ MY POST.

No you did not. You suggested that ELOHIM is the "first name" of God (by which I presume you mean the personal name of God) and is demonstratively false; as onewithim (and others) have donehere

Benoni wrote:
The name Jehovah is not the first name/title in the Bible ...

If you mean "the first name" ever mentioned in the bible, what difference does that make? The name YHWH is the most important name in the bible as demontrated by the fact that it occurs more than all the other titles for God combined. Are you maintaining that the TETRAGRAMMATON does predominantly represent the personal name of God?

Benoni wrote:
but your so call experts ignored this fact .

You "fact" is not a FACT at all: it is a badly expressed pseudo-criticism. Most irrelevant if you are indeed suggesting that because the name is not the first title chronologically then it either doesn't exist or doesn't have the evident prominence it does in scripture.

Benoni wrote:
but your so call experts [...] and inserted/added the word Jehovah there where it should of been Elohim as well as hundreds of times though out the whole Bible.

This is something you may feel inclined to substantiate. This is a debating forum, so in order to be taken seriously you will have to actually provide proof of what you claim. Here you suggest that there are verses where in the original text ELOHIM [God] should appear where the NWT has "inserted" the Divine Name [Tetragrammaton].

The problem is for you to substantiate the claim your will have to have a certain knowledge of what we can understand was in the original text. Do you feel able to demonstrate that?

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 286: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 am

Like this post
Benoni wrote:

Try seeking truth instead of creating more lies.

Warning Moderator Warning

It is unacceptable to accuse people of 'creating lies'

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 287: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 282 by Benoni]

I view the Watchtower Society as an anti-intellectual, autocratic kind of cult, due to their demonizing of higher education, and really the rest of society, and insistence on a no-questions-asked approach. So I'm not sure calling them "liars" is exactly the way I would put it, though I, too, have a very negative impression of teh Society.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 288: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:35 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 284 by Benoni]

YHWH is the personal name of God. Elohim and Adonai are more like titles, not personal names.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 289: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:27 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 278 by hoghead1]

hoghead1 wrote:

Yes, there re about 100 well-documented contradictions in Scripture.

Some people say thousands more.. some people say none.
All well documented, of course.

Whataryagonnado?
Opinions concerning the Bible vary widely.

Smile

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 290: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 am

Like this post

This is just spin. I said name/title it does not matter. Your bias changed the Bible to fit your bias hundreds of times. This is the whole foundation of your faith to push this bias agenda no matter what. Jehovah is but one name/title in the Bible they say their is over 200 names but this means nothing to your religious bias. God places these name and titles these for a purpose and you do not care for all that matters to you is your bias. Sinking sand.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter