JW organization.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Elijah John
Savant
Posts: 12235
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: New England
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 15 times

JW organization.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to:

-vote
-celebrate birthdays
-celebrate Christmas or Easter
-donate or receive blood transfusions.

And if any JW openly persists in doing these things[edit to add publicly], they will be shunned or disfellowshipped, [edit to add or otherwise admonished or disciplined.]

For debate,

1) what do any of these check-list prohibitions have to do with Christianity?

2) And are any of these prohibitions compatible with the idea of Christian freedom?

3) Are these prohibitions arbitrary or legalistic?

4) And could Jehvoah's Witness as an organization flourish without these particular prohibitions and still honor God?

Please address any or all of the above.
Last edited by Elijah John on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

User avatar
Benoni
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 am
Location: Wilson NY (Niagara County)

Re: JW organization.

Post #281

Post by Benoni »

Elijah John wrote:
hoghead1 wrote: [Replying to post 275 by Benoni]

I agree with you. "Jehovah" is a serious mistranslation of YHWH. The fact the NWT repeatedly uses it just goes to show the 'translators" didn't know what they were dong. The NWT has also inserted "Lord Jehovah" abound 239 times in the NT, where it never occurs in the Geek texts. The NWT is a totally corrupt translation, condemned by the majority of major biblical scholars.
What about the Jerusalem Bible, the World English Bible and some others which render the Tetragrammaton as "Yahweh". His name, after all, is not "the LORD".

Karaite Jews render it "Yehovah" so "Jehovah" is not that far off.

And @ Benoni. Adding to God's word? Possibly...but more like restoring the Divine name to it's rightful place of honor, which the Rabbis out of an abundance (or excess) of caution, redacted from the original text. At least in the "Old" Testament. And where the New quotes the "Old", it only logical that the Divine Name be restored to those passages as well.
So what you are saying its ok to change God's Word because others have done it??? JW defend their bias no matter how corrupt. Try seeking truth instead of creating more lies.

hoghead1
Guru
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Re: JW organization.

Post #282

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 279 by Elijah John]

"Yehovah" is definitely not correct, however.

Many Bibles simply use the term "the Lord" because people get confused on the names of God. For the laity, it makes it easier just to say 'the Lord," than in going into all this history bout names.

User avatar
Benoni
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 am
Location: Wilson NY (Niagara County)

Re: JW organization.

Post #283

Post by Benoni »

hoghead1 wrote: [Replying to post 279 by Elijah John]

"Yehovah" is definitely not correct, however.

Many Bibles simply use the term "the Lord" because people get confused on the names of God. For the laity, it makes it easier just to say 'the Lord," than in going into all this history bout names.
No excuse. The whole JW systems foundation is sinking sand because of these blatant lies add to scripture. They are not seeking truth they are just defending bias and error.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18451
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 708 times
Contact:

Re: JW organization.

Post #284

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Benoni wrote: The whole JW systems foundation is sinking sand because of these blatant lies add to scripture. They are not seeking truth they are just defending bias and error.
Those are some serious accusations: would you care to substantiate them?

(The God of the bible most definitely has a personal name that is represented in Hebrew by the four letters YHWH and those letters are completely different from the Hebrew word ELOHIM which is the plural form of GOD, so to imply that Elohim is the personal Name of God is an error. I would advise you to use google and google the word "The TETRAGRAMMATON").





JEHOVAHS WITNESS

[youtube][/youtube]


JWB >> FOS >> TALKS: Geoffrey W. Jackson: The Divine Name of Our Heavenly Father
http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODStudio/pu ... 06_1_VIDEO
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Benoni
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 am
Location: Wilson NY (Niagara County)

Re: JW organization.

Post #285

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I ALREADY DID IF YOU READ MY POST. The name Jehovah is not the first name/title in the Bible but your so call experts ignored this fact and inserted/added the word Jehovah there where it should of been Elohim as well as hundreds of times though out the whole Bible. You claim to be literalist but this bias acts proves all you care about is defending turf and keep this lie going. Talk about sinking sand and promoting a lie. Try seeking truth.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18451
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 708 times
Contact:

Re: JW organization.

Post #286

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I ALREADY DID IF YOU READ MY POST.
No you did not. You suggested that ELOHIM is the "first name" of God (by which I presume you mean the personal name of God) and is demonstratively false; as onewithim (and others) have donehere

Benoni wrote:The name Jehovah is not the first name/title in the Bible ...
If you mean "the first name" ever mentioned in the bible, what difference does that make? The name YHWH is the most important name in the bible as demontrated by the fact that it occurs more than all the other titles for God combined. Are you maintaining that the TETRAGRAMMATON does predominantly represent the personal name of God?

Benoni wrote: but your so call experts ignored this fact .
You "fact" is not a FACT at all: it is a badly expressed pseudo-criticism. Most irrelevant if you are indeed suggesting that because the name is not the first title chronologically then it either doesn't exist or doesn't have the evident prominence it does in scripture.

Benoni wrote: but your so call experts [...] and inserted/added the word Jehovah there where it should of been Elohim as well as hundreds of times though out the whole Bible.
This is something you may feel inclined to substantiate. This is a debating forum, so in order to be taken seriously you will have to actually provide proof of what you claim. Here you suggest that there are verses where in the original text ELOHIM [God] should appear where the NWT has "inserted" the Divine Name [Tetragrammaton].

The problem is for you to substantiate the claim your will have to have a certain knowledge of what we can understand was in the original text. Do you feel able to demonstrate that?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
Location: Bible Belt USA
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Post #287

Post by Zzyzx »

.
Benoni wrote: Try seeking truth instead of creating more lies.
:warning: Moderator Warning

It is unacceptable to accuse people of 'creating lies'




Please review our Rules.

______________

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

hoghead1
Guru
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Re: JW organization.

Post #288

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 282 by Benoni]

I view the Watchtower Society as an anti-intellectual, autocratic kind of cult, due to their demonizing of higher education, and really the rest of society, and insistence on a no-questions-asked approach. So I'm not sure calling them "liars" is exactly the way I would put it, though I, too, have a very negative impression of teh Society.

hoghead1
Guru
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Re: JW organization.

Post #289

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 284 by Benoni]

YHWH is the personal name of God. Elohim and Adonai are more like titles, not personal names.

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: JW organization.

Post #290

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 278 by hoghead1]
hoghead1 wrote:
Yes, there re about 100 well-documented contradictions in Scripture.
Some people say thousands more.. some people say none.
All well documented, of course.

Whataryagonnado?
Opinions concerning the Bible vary widely.

:)

Post Reply