JW organization.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to:

-vote
-celebrate birthdays
-celebrate Christmas or Easter
-donate or receive blood transfusions.

And if any JW openly persists in doing these things[edit to add publicly], they will be shunned or disfellowshipped, [edit to add or otherwise admonished or disciplined.]

For debate,

1) what do any of these check-list prohibitions have to do with Christianity?

2) And are any of these prohibitions compatible with the idea of Christian freedom?

3) Are these prohibitions arbitrary or legalistic?

4) And could Jehvoah's Witness as an organization flourish without these particular prohibitions and still honor God?

Please address any or all of the above.
Last edited by Elijah John on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Re: JW organization.

Post #291

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

This is just spin. I said name/title it does not matter. Your bias changed the Bible to fit your bias hundreds of times. This is the whole foundation of your faith to push this bias agenda no matter what. Jehovah is but one name/title in the Bible they say their is over 200 names but this means nothing to your religious bias. God places these name and titles these for a purpose and you do not care for all that matters to you is your bias. Sinking sand.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #292

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 281 by hoghead1]
hoghead1 wrote:
"Yehovah" is definitely not correct, however.
It's "translation".
Get over it guys...

A few letters don't add up to a hill of beans.

:)

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #293

Post by Benoni »

JW are such legalist and will argue scripture use the original language and each word they try to scrutinize usually with a bias spin but point being they are legalist. But not when it comes to these hundreds of example they changed the Bible when it comes to the name Jehovah. I am far from a legalist I believe God's Word is spiritual but we need the letter of the Bible to uncover the hidden spiritual Word. To change the letter to a bias dogma is a corrupts the whole Bible.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #294

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 292 by Benoni]

That's nice.

Now you still have the problem of your actually needing to PROVE the accusations of falty translation, unwarranted bias and insertion of the tetragrammaton where it presumably did not appear in the original text. You can throw negative comments around at will and hopefully you won't get yourself banned, but you might like to note there are a number of Jehovah's Witnesses on this board that will ask you to support negative claims especially when it come to the actual content and integrity of the Word of God.

Do you feel able to substantiate your claims or should we simply ignore your anti-witness rhetoric for lack of evidence as personal opinon to which you are welcome?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #295

Post by Elijah John »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

This is just spin. I said name/title it does not matter. Your bias changed the Bible to fit your bias hundreds of times. This is the whole foundation of your faith to push this bias agenda no matter what. Jehovah is but one name/title in the Bible they say their is over 200 names but this means nothing to your religious bias. God places these name and titles these for a purpose and you do not care for all that matters to you is your bias. Sinking sand.
There is only one name in the Hebrew Bible used almost 6000 times. That is the name "YHVH." That is the name King David with the Psalms impolres the reader to "give thanks to", to "praise the name of", to "call upon the name of" etc, etc, over and over and over again.

YHVH, is the Tetragrammaton, the four letters that represent God's name. That is the same name that Jesus praised in the Lord's prayer. THE personal, covenential Name of God.

"Yahweh", Y'hovah" and Jehovah are all reasonable renderings of the Name. His name is not "The LORD". That is a substtution.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #296

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to Blastcat]

Difference between you and me if God reveals something new to me I receive it and do not try to fit it into some preconceived bondage. God's Word is not old nor is it new its spiritual and that means when God reveals a new truth we need receive it instead of change it because or religion is our god. That's Bondage.
God reveals something "new" only in the sense that he, by his spirit, helps us to understand something more clearly that is already in the Bible. It is just "new" to us, at the time. IMHO there are no "new truths." We have all we need in the Bible.

The Scriptures say that [new] knowledge will end, along with speaking in tongues and prophesying (I Corinthians 13:8-10). These things ended when the last Apostle died, which, if I remember correctly, was John at the end of the first century.

"Bondage" is being blind to what the Scriptures are saying to you, and, instead, going after "knowledge" that is apart from Scripture....which would not be coming from Jehovah God the Almighty.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #297

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to onewithhim]

I agree so why does the JW religion change the Bible which is a new change and not scriptural hundreds of time and add the word Jehovah when it does not belong there. The new revelation of the Spirit. Did not you add "evil" to spirit and angels when they were no where in the text? Those are new changes. False but new. I am speaking of seeing God's Word though His Spirit as he reveals a new truth from His Word I never seen before. Like the baby goat in Matthew 25 being a clean animal.

God uses tradition to place us under the law to mature us; but our human nature loves to hang unto the old worn out garment for it is all we know. They built there towers of Babel to show all they can reach God.

The word revelation means reveal. How can God's Spirit reveal anything to you if you refuse to hear? The Bible is full of hidden deep truths they are called mysteries and the word mystery is used over 20 time in the NT.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #298

Post by Benoni »

Elijah John wrote:
Benoni wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

There is only one name in the Hebrew Bible used almost 6000 times. That is the name "YHVH." That is the name King David with the Psalms impolres the reader to "give thanks to", to "praise the name of", to "call upon the name of" etc, etc, over and over and over again.

YHVH, is the Tetragrammaton, the four letters that represent God's name. That is the same name that Jesus praised in the Lord's prayer. THE personal, covenential Name of God.

"Yahweh", Y'hovah" and Jehovah are all reasonable renderings of the Name. His name is not "The LORD". That is a substtution.
Did anyone say anything different? But why do you follow a JW Bible that adds hundreds of changes to falsely insert the word Jehovah where it is not anywhere in the original language. Why because your bias is your god.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #299

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 295 by onewithhim]

[center]
A story is believed[/center]

onewithhim wrote:
God reveals something "new" only in the sense that he, by his spirit, helps us to understand something more clearly that is already in the Bible.
Many have a belief in a spirit guide that guides them to their own ideas.
A claimed ghost in their machine.

It's an unsubstantiated claim.
Unless of course, by "his spirit" they mean "my imagination".

It's hard to tell, because some Christians have admitted to me that they don't know what "spirit" IS exactly. Could it possibly BE an imagined being whispering sweet nothings?

Full of wisdom?

I say "natural, common, personal, subjective" wisdom mistaken for something else that is way more "magical". Yeah, a lot of people believe in magic, miracles, ghosts, boogeymen, demons and goddesses.

They sure do believe.

:)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #300

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to post 273 by onewithhim]

Name title what ever according to JW Bible they inserted the word Jehovah they and thousands of other places in the Bible so you are adding to God's Word a false teaching. Bondage.
No, the New World Translation did not "insert" the name "Jehovah" where it does not belong. That name "Jehovah" appears as the Tetragrammaton (which I provided a link for, so you could see how the Hebrew letters look), 7,000 times throughout the Hebrew Scriptures. It is in every Jewish scroll in every synagogue in the world. They just don't pronounce it, saying "Adonai" instead.

Just so you'll know.....the New World Translation is not the only Bible version that leaves the name of God in all the places that it originally appeared in the Hebrew texts. If you look at Young's Literal Translation; Darby; the American Standard Bible (1901); & the King James Divine Name Bible, you could see that they include the Divine Name also, wherever it appears in the original Hebrew text.

The Jerusalem Bible and The New Jerusalem Bible render the Divine Name not as "Jehovah" but as "Yahweh," which is fine. The Living Bible also includes God's name in many places, but not all of them. The King James Version renders the Tetragrammaton as "Jehovah," and presents if in only four places in the Bible, but at least they do bring it out, as God's name. (Isaiah 26:4; Isaiah 12:2; Psalm 83:18; Exodus 6:3)

So you see, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't the only people who recognize that God's name has been in the Bible from the beginning. They aren't the only ones who include that name where it belongs, around 7,000 places in the Holy Scriptures.

:study: [/u]