Does God cause anything?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Does God cause anything?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Daniel the Dragon asked us if God caused evil.

I'd like to ask the question: Does God causes anything?

We will skip over creation, as it is done to death in other OPs.

So, can anyone show where God caused anything?

The Bible is a great starting place, but it needs back-up of course, and I am more interested in modern events:

The premise, is of course, that God does not cause anything, or do anything.
V/R

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 2:
harvey1 wrote: God caused the universe to exist. He causes miracles. He causes history to flow in a certain way.
Go ahead, provide confirmatory data, and let's see how many trees hafta die.
harvey1 wrote: I'm not sure why you ask this question, tbh.
I propose, tbh, that you can't figure out that question, 'cause it was never it one for ya.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Does God cause anything?

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Willum wrote:
V/R
Confused here: This question is based on a presumption that God does nothing and can cause nothing but that he exists?
If only for me, I'll play along - "God exists, and here it is I am to tell, if'n y'all don't hold me to show I speak truth on that bit, well boy howdy, Whoppers is on sell!"

I'll take two dollars and forty seven cents worth of Whoppers, if'n you'll let me borrow the two dollars and forty seven cents.

We'll call this program "Whoppers For God!"
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Youkilledkenny]

Well, I disagree, you do things,I do things, none of this requires proof. Why is a God held to a different standard?
So basically are you asking "prove God exists"? Or, for the sake of argument are we presuming God does exist but prove he created the universe. Or for the sake of argument are we presuming God exists and created the universe?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #14

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 13 by JehovahsWitness]

I guess you are really having trouble discussing God in this context if you don't get to play the "creation card," huh?

Creation of the universe, or Earth, or duck-billed platypuses is discussed at length in other OPs.

DtD asked if God caused evil, so we can exclude evil as well.

So I am asking, with those issues landing nowhere, Does God cause anything (else)?
What is so difficult? The Earth isn't nearly as powerful as God, right? but it has substance, structure and gravity. The Sun isn't nearly as powerful as God, but it causes warmth and light. A neutrino isn't as powerful as God, but it causes nuclear transformations.
Plato isn't as powerful as God, but you can read his wisdom.
I ain't as powerful as God, but you can read my posts.

All these things cause something...

What's God do?

jcforever
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by jcforever »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]

Trying to explain God to an atheist is like talking to a dead rock. Dead rocks don't know how they were created, either.

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by Youkilledkenny]
A good question. Why is it OK for him to eliminate a whole society but not for me to kill one person (unless, of course, it's in his name).
This is a pretty little segue.
If he did slaughter peoples, or cause plagues and floods, and so on, we should be able to find evidence.

and, taking as different tact: The suicide clause in Christianity, you can be a Saint, but if you suicide to go to heaven, because your fortunes have changed, Gods sends you to the other place.

It seems the religion's causes are conveniently hedged against taking advantage of it. I wonder if the first Christians committed suicide, before they came up with that rule.
Hmmm, that rule does not seem to be in the Bible.
That could be a problem.

Seems like a couple of OPs could be started, even if one would be detrimental to society.

[Replying to post 15 by jcforever]

On the contrary, by examining rocks, they can tell you exactly when and how they were made, the causes. We even have rocks on Earth that somehow came from Mars. We have rocks in meta-stable states that millions of years ago were formed as one kind of rock, and is slowly changing into another.

That is exactly the point of the OP, we can indeed find the causes and learn what created them... so what does God cause...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by JoeyKnothead »

jcforever wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Willum]

Trying to explain God to an atheist is like talking to a dead rock. Dead rocks don't know how they were created, either.
Or, it's being incapable of showing you speak truth, and getting upset about it so much, that you'd compare some of your fellow human beings to "dead rocks".

What's "dead" here, is assuming the Bible is an accurate reflection of reality.
-Punkinhead Martin

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]

[center]

What kind of "cause" are you asking about?
[/center]

Willum wrote:
I'd like to ask the question: Does God causes anything?
I think that the Bible says God is the effective cause of the universe.. but I don't think that "creation" has to mean a material cause.

I create brand new stuff out of pre-existing stuff all the time.
Re-arranging those atoms, yo.

:)

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by rikuoamero »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Willum wrote:
V/R
Confused here: This question is based on a presumption that God does nothing and can cause nothing but that he exists?
Why is this hard to understand? Try the analogy of a member of the forum who just reads posts but never writes anything himself.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

marco
Savant

Post #20

Post by marco »

harvey1 wrote: God caused the universe to exist. He causes miracles. He causes history to flow in a certain way. I'm not sure why you ask this question, tbh.
Moderator Comment

We are debating here so it is inappropriate to issue such statements without backing them up. You are preaching, not arguing.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.