Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Theological bias in the Amplified Bible

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Genesis 1.26
God said, Let us [Father, Son and Holy Spirit] make mankind in our image...
That insertion is not my insertion, but is there in the Amplified translation of the Bible. It reveals a blatant Trinitarian Bias that no Jew would accept.

Talk about ignoring "original intent"! ;)

For debate, how common is this kind of corruption in the various translations of the Bible?

Do you have examples of other Bible corruptions?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

For example, Luke 2:23 in Greek is, "καθὼς γέγ�απται �ν νόμῳ κυ�ίου ὅτι Πᾶν ἄ�σεν διανοῖγον μήτ�αν ἅγιον τῷ κυ�ίῳ κληθήσεται."

Most translators render this something like, "as it is written in the Law of the Lord 'Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord.'"

But the New World Translation renders this as, "just as it is written in Jehovah’s Law: 'Every firstborn male must be called holy to Jehovah.'"

The word Jehovah is a transliteration of a Hebrew word. That Hebrew word or its equivalent occurs exactly zero times in the texts of Greek scriptures. To render κυ�ίουnas Jehovah is not translation; it is interpretation.
I agree that the NWT has some problems. But letting the sense of the passage dictate the translation of the passage seems entirely reasonable.

After all, who but YHVH would the passage from Luke be referring to? Jesus is not THE LORD in the context of that passage. It would be YHVH, no matter how one chooses to pronounce the Name.

And the fact that the Greek speaking authors may have redacted the name YHVH out of their writings to suit their own agenda, only means that the NT has corrupted the "Old" Testament passages which they quote or allude to.

-YHVH is LORD

bjs
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by bjs »

It depends on the translation. The NWT has been mentioned for its translation problems. The Living Bible is another famous example of a text that is not a faithful translation (though in that case the paraphraser had a note at the beginning saying that it was not a strict translation and should not be read as such).

Other better reviewed translations, like the NIV or the NRSV, are more faithful to the original. They include footnotes about manuscript issues and more explicit “amplifications� are rare to non-existent.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

McCulloch wrote:The word Jehovah is a transliteration of a Hebrew word. That Hebrew word or its equivalent occurs exactly zero times in the texts of Greek scriptures. To render κυ�ίουnas Jehovah is not translation; it is interpretation.

Thank you for your opinion, but you still haven't explained the sentence below what is "an entirely greek word into the Hebrew tetragramaton"... what does this sentence even mean?
JehovahsWitness wrote:
McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]

Translators from Greek into English render the Greek name Ἰησοῦς into Jesus. Ἰησοῦς is, of course, a Greek form of a Hebrew name. The Hebrew root for Jesus' name does not justify translating en entirely Greek word into the Hebrew Tetragrammaton.

What do you mean by "[an] entirely Greek word into the Hebrew Tetragrammaton" this sentence makes no sense to me, could you explain?

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 11 by Elijah John]

As for the place of the Tetragramaton in the Christian Greek Scriptures I have already posted extensively on this, did you miss it? I'll post the link in case you did. If you would like to challenge any of the points therein feel free (perhaps quoting the specific point you are challenging to avoid reader confusion)

The Divine Name in the "New Testament"
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 274#822274

Various Translations
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 460#858460
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tigger2
Sage

Re: Theological bias in the Amplified Bible

Post #15

Post by tigger2 »

Elijah John wrote: Genesis 1.26
God said, Let us [Father, Son and Holy Spirit] make mankind in our image...
That insertion is not my insertion, but is there in the Amplified translation of the Bible. It reveals a blatant Trinitarian Bias that no Jew would accept.

Talk about ignoring "original intent"! ;)

For debate, how common is this kind of corruption in the various translations of the Bible?

Do you have examples of other Bible corruptions?

There are so many that it is difficult to choose just a few.

CEV: "Uncompromising simplicity marked the American Bible Society's (ABS) translation of the Contemporary English Version (CEV) that was first published in 1995. The text is easily read by grade schoolers, second language readers, and those who prefer the more contemporized form. The CEV is not a paraphrase. It is an accurate and faithful translation of the original manuscripts." -

https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/C ... CEV-Bible/

Phil. 2:6 - "Christ was truly God. But he did not try to remain[*] equal with God."
"[*] remain: or 'become.'" - CEV.

The Greek reads "Christ Jesus, who in [the] form of God [or 'a god']" where morphe means the outward appearance, not the "very nature" of someone. It could mean that Jesus appeared as a spirit person in heaven. God and His angels also are spirit persons.

"Become" as found in the footnote is closer, but the Greek word is harpagmos which means "take by force." - See TEV/GNB. "Grasp" and "cling" as found in most translations are incorrect.
Phil. 2:6 - "Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage" - NIV.
Phil. 2:6 - "who, though he was in the form [morphe] of God [theou], did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited," - NRSV.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #16

Post by Elijah John »

bjs wrote: It depends on the translation. The NWT has been mentioned for its translation problems. The Living Bible is another famous example of a text that is not a faithful translation (though in that case the paraphraser had a note at the beginning saying that it was not a strict translation and should not be read as such).

Other better reviewed translations, like the NIV or the NRSV, are more faithful to the original. They include footnotes about manuscript issues and more explicit “amplifications� are rare to non-existent.
I disagree on both counts, because of their translations of John:1.18.

Both have Jesus as the Son of God, but both also call him, "God".

The NIV, "the Son, who is himself God"
The NKJV "God the only Son".

There is a difference between the terms "Son of God" which is Biblical, and "God the Son" which is Church derived theology.

Even the KJV does not go as far as the NIV or the NRSV.

-YHVH is LORD

bjs
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by bjs »

Elijah John wrote: I disagree on both counts, because of their translations of John:1.18.

Both have Jesus as the Son of God, but both also call him, "God".

The NIV, "the Son, who is himself God"
The NKJV "God the only Son".

There is a difference between the terms "Son of God" which is Biblical, and "God the Son" which is Church derived theology.

Even the KJV does not go as far as the NIV or the NRSV.
That is indeed an interesting passage. The original Greek does not include the word “son.�

A very literal and wooden translation would be: “No one has ever seen God except the only begotten God, the one being in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.�

Translators add the word “son� to make sense of “only begotten,� but the word “son� is not found in the text.

This is a tough passage to translated. The focus is on the fact that the only begotten is God, is one with the Father, and has made the Father known. “God the Son� seems like as good of a translation as anything else.

If your theology is that there is a significant difference between “Son of God� and “God the Son,� then “Son of God� is a mistranslation of this passage.

The KJV translated an alternate reading of the text. The alternate reading included the word “son� after “only begotten.� That reading is certainly well attested in ancient manuscripts, but scholars overwhelmingly agree that the NIV and NRSV used the correct text and that the word “son� was added later to make the passage easier to understand.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Theological bias in the Amplified Bible

Post #18

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote: For debate, ...Do you have examples of other Bible corruptions?
I will offer:
Psalm 9:17 (NASV) The wicked shall RETURN to Sheol...
(Kiel - Delitzsch(#16)) Yea, back to Hades must the wicked RETURN...
which the KJV renders: The wicked shall be turned into hell...

The word under contention is Strong's H7725. shub Short Definition: return, to turn back. I contend it is a sign of strict "created on earth" bias of the writers of the KJV that they rendered return as turned into which has no concept of return in it.

The importance is that one cannot return to a place he has never been which supports the contention that we are spirits in Sheol pre-birth as well as after death. It is a word in a verse much ignored or even flatly denied as the KJV has done, putting theology first as the arbiter of meaning rather than letting meaning drive the theology.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by McCulloch »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Translators from Greek into English render the Greek name Ἰησοῦς into Jesus. Ἰησοῦς is, of course, a Greek form of a Hebrew name. The Hebrew root for Jesus' name does not justify translating [an] entirely Greek word into the Hebrew Tetragrammaton.
What do you mean by "[an] entirely Greek word into the Hebrew Tetragrammaton" this sentence makes no sense to me, could you explain?
κυ�ίου is an entirely Greek word. In both biblical and secular contexts it is usually translated into English as lord. There is no textual reason ever to translate this word into Jehovah.

------------------
In my first posting in this thread, I wrote: Rather famously, the Jehovah's Witnesses' translation of Greek scriptures into English includes an English transliteration of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, without any textual justification whatsoever.
---------------------
In reply you wrote:It also uses the English form of Yeheshua (JESUS) .... so?! Do you have a problem with English?

It seemed to me that in this you were justifying the translation of κυ�ίου into Jehovah because Jesus' name is at its root a Hebrew word. Maybe I was wrong. Was there some other reason that you bring up the Jewishness of Jesus' name?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John