Who is happier, the most or least religious?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Who is happier, the most or least religious?

Post #1

Post by TheBeardedDude »

This is a thread about happiness and religiousness around the globe as a way of assessing what countries are better off, the most or least religious ones?

Happiest countries on Earth according to the World Happiness Report Update 2016 from the Sustainable Development Solutions Network for the UN. (http://www.cnn.com/2...nited-nations/)

Top ten:
1) Denmark
2) Switzerland
3) Iceland
4) Norway
5) Finland
6) Canada
7) Netherlands
8) New Zealand
9) Australia
10) Sweden

Bottom ten:
1) Burundi
2) Syria
3) Togo
4) Afghanistan
5) Benin
6) Rwanda
7) Guinea
8) Liberia
9) Tanzania
10) Madagascar

Now let's compare the most and least religious countries and then find the rank of religiousness for the previously mentioned 20. (sources: http://www.worldatla...-the-world.html and http://www.worldatla...the-world.html)

Least religious:
1) China (7% religious, 83rd happiness)
2) Japan (13% religious, 53rd happiness)
3) Estonia (16% religious, 72nd happiness)
4) Sweden (19% religious, 10th happiness)
5) Denmark (19% religious, 1st happiness)
6) Czech Republic (23% religious, 27th happiness)
7) Hong Kong (24% religious, 75th happiness)
8) Netherlands (24% religious, 7th happiness)
9) United Kingdom (30% religious, 23rd happiness)
10) Vietnam (34% religious, 96th ranking happiness)

Average happiness ranking: 44.7
Max: 96th
Min: 1st

Most religious
1) Niger (100% religious, 103rd happiness)
2) Sri Lanka (99% religious, 117th happiness)
3) Malawi (99% religious, 132nd religious)
4) Indonesia (99% religious, 70th happiness)
5) Yemen (99% religious, 147th happiness)
6) Thailand (94% religious, 33rd happiness)
7) Armenia (93% religious, 121st happiness)
8) Bangladesh (93% religious, 110th happiness)
9) Georgia (93% religious, 126th happiness)
10) Morocco (93% religious, 90th happiness)

Average happiness ranking: 104.9
Max: 147th
Min: 33rd

And then a measure of importance of religion by country for the ten happiest countries. I am using this wikipedia site: https://en.wikipedia...on_by_country).The percentages I am quoting are those who say that religion is important in their lives:
Top ten:
1) Denmark 19%
2) Switzerland 41%
3) Iceland NA?
4) Norway 21%
5) Finland 28%
6) Canada 42%
7) Netherlands 33%
8) New Zealand 33%
9) Australia 32%
10) Sweden 17%

Avg: 29.6%
Max: 42%
Min: 17%

and the bottom ten:
1) Burundi 98%
2) Syria 89%
3) Togo 80%
4) Afghanistan 97%
5) Benin 93%
6) Rwanda 95%
7) Guinea 97%
8) Liberia 94%
9) Tanzania 89%
10) Madagascar 93%

Avg: 92.5%
Max: 98%
Min: 80%

Obviously there are other factors that go into happiness and religiousness too, but if we just look at the data I have pulled thus far we can make some interesting observations:
1) Happiest countries are less religious
2) The happiest countries consider religion to be less important in their lives
3) The unhappiest countries are more religious
4) The unhappiest countries consider religion to be more important in their lives than the happiest countries do

I thought this was very interesting to see. It would also be interesting to add more data on top of this. Such as how free these countries are, what the death rate is, what the intentional homicide rate is, what the rate of violent crime rate is, and what the GDP and other big economic factors are. But I don't have the time at the moment to compile all of that.

bluethread
Savant

Post #11

Post by bluethread »

H.sapiens wrote:
Or ... does happiness stem from being free of both?
What is the statistical value of happiness? Is there a machine that can be attached to someone that will give us a number? If so I would like to buy one of those machines, because quite often I can't tell whether I am happy or not. If I had a number, that would tell me for sure. :tongue:

zjsd26
Student

Interesting topic

Post #12

Post by zjsd26 »

Happiness comes from within. They are some people who believe in God that struggle and that go through hard times, same with unbelievers as well. We can't base religion as the principle on somebody's happiness. That usually comes from personal issues in their life. Religion has nothing to do with that. People get depressed on many different levels, it could be constant rejection, body issues, going through a crucial breakup or not feeling loved by your family. Loneliness is a huge factor on why a good portion of people feel sadness. It all varies from different countries, because they have better and more moral standards. Your attitude changes depending on the environment you are in. If you are raised in a neighborhood full of violence and gang affiliation, than you are going to be more aware and protective of your personal surroundings but if you are raised in more a higher-class neighborhood with no violence rate, then you are going to feel more comfortable and confident in your own-self.

Religion may play some part, due to the excessive force behind it, but other than that. It all boils down to you, not everyone is raised in very strict religious homes, most of them are moderate.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Interesting topic

Post #13

Post by OnceConvinced »

zjsd26 wrote: Happiness comes from within. They are some people who believe in God that struggle and that go through hard times, same with unbelievers as well. We can't base religion as the principle on somebody's happiness. That usually comes from personal issues in their life. Religion has nothing to do with that. People get depressed on many different levels, it could be constant rejection, body issues, going through a crucial breakup or not feeling loved by your family. Loneliness is a huge factor on why a good portion of people feel sadness. It all varies from different countries, because they have better and more moral standards. Your attitude changes depending on the environment you are in. If you are raised in a neighborhood full of violence and gang affiliation, than you are going to be more aware and protective of your personal surroundings but if you are raised in more a higher-class neighborhood with no violence rate, then you are going to feel more comfortable and confident in your own-self.

Religion may play some part, due to the excessive force behind it, but other than that. It all boils down to you, not everyone is raised in very strict religious homes, most of them are moderate.
Hi, zjsd and welcome to the forums.

It seems to me that the bible does indicate that if we are in Christ then we will be joyful:

“If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.� (John 15:10, 11)

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
(1 Peter 1:8-9)

You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
(Psalm 16:11)

Of course, walk into most churches on a Sunday morning and you will see a lot rather miserable looking people who look as though they'd rather be somewhere else than in the house of God. I saw that again two Sunday's ago when I visited my parents' church.

Churches I have been to in the past always required a great song leader and lively band to get the majority of people to exhibit joy.

Funny that.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World