JWs consider God's Kingdom to be a Government

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

JWs consider God's Kingdom to be a Government

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses believe God's Kingdom for which many Christians have prayed throughout the ages to be a (heavenly) government (three words).

What, in three or four words if possible, do you believe it to be?

(Many Christians I have met have said its "A feeling" (in one's heart).
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Thank you for your post, I can't seem to see an answer to the question though... I'll repost the question, in case you missed it:
JehovahsWitness wrote: What, in three or four words if possible, do you believe it to be?.
RESPONSE: A state and place.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by McCulloch »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Ok, so what do you think the kingdom is?
Does it really matter what I think? Isn't it more relevant to try to know what Jesus thought? What did Jesus say about the kingdom of God? Whatever we think that he meant, that has to be consistent with the following:

Mark 1:14-15
Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.�

Matthew 10:7
And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’

Matthew 16:28
“Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.�

John 18:35-37
Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?� Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.� Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?� Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.�

Whatever the kingdom is, it is otherworldly and was at hand in the first century.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

McCulloch wrote: Whatever the kingdom is, it is otherworldly and was at hand in the first century.

Do you know you have not actually answered the question I asked?

I ask : What is God's Kingdom?

You say: It was near!

I say, yes, but WHAT is it?

You say: It's whatever Jesus said it was!

I say okay and what was that?

You say: Something not of this world.

I say: What?

You say: .... ?

I can only conclude you don't know what it is. Feel free to correct my conclusion if I am wrong by simply answering the question: What is God's Kingdom?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: JWs consider God's Kingdom to be a Government

Post #24

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses believe God's Kingdom for which many Christians have prayed throughout the ages to be a (heavenly) government (three words).

What, in three or four words if possible, do you believe it to be?

(Many Christians I have met have said its "A feeling" (in one's heart).
The kingdom is both present and future.

It is where God and His family are, where God reigns with them and how they live together.

Thank you, you repeatedly say God's kingdom is "where" .... so would it be fair to say for you God's kingdom is a place/location?
No, that, "a place/location", is not what I wrote, and not what the kingdom is.

The kingdom of God is the reign of God.

This takes place whenever a situation exists in which God's will is being done on earth as it is in heaven.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

Checkpoint wrote: The kingdom of God is the reign of God.

This takes place whenever a situation exists in which God's will is being done on earth as it is in heaven.
Would it be fair to say you believe that the Kingdom is the "regin of God" in the hearts of individual believers. ie. the desire (a desire is a feeling) to obey God in the hearts of individuals?

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Blastcat »

polonius.advice wrote:

RESPONSE: A state and place.

What and where?

:)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Would it be fair to say you believe that the Kingdom is the "regin of God" in the hearts of individual believers. ie. the desire (a desire is a feeling) to obey God in the hearts of individuals?
No, it is what I said it is, and what Jesus and Paul and John explained.

They did not say it was "a (spiritual) government" or that it was "in the hearts of individual believers" as you described a version of that:"A feeling" (in one's heart).

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by McCulloch »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Do you know you have not actually answered the question I asked?

[…]

I can only conclude you don't know what it is.
You are an astute logician. I do not know. I don't pretend to know what I don't know. I'm comfortable with not knowing this. I don't believe in God or Jesus. But I do know some parameters that exclude some answers as being wrong.

Do you know what the kingdom meant to the writers of the Gospels?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #29

McCulloch wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:Do you know you have not actually answered the question I asked?

[…]

I can only conclude you don't know what it is.
You are an astute logician. I do not know. I don't pretend to know what I don't know. I'm comfortable with not knowing this.
Fair enough. There's no shame in not knowing something. I asked because Jesus mentioned the kingdom more than any other subject and millions were bought up praying "Thy Kingdom come" so I wondered if anyone had formed any idea whatsoever of WHAT they were asking for...

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

No, it is what I said it is, and what Jesus and Paul and John explained.

They did not say it was "a (spiritual) government" or that it was "in the hearts of individual believers" as you described a version of that:"A feeling" (in one's heart).

It's a reign okay... but in real terms what does that mean. The Queen of England reigns over the territory of the united Kindom (the UK is a consitutional monarchy a type of royal government ie a government with a king or a queen at its head).... God's reign ... does what in practical terms?

It's a reign... if someone said to you "I don't understand, could you explain basically in real terms what you mean?" What would you say...?