No votes

Total votes: 6

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Abraham was insane

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

After he started hearing voices, he mutilated his genitals and almost murdered his son.. but at the very last minute, the voices said NO.

Question for debate:

How is that not insane?

:)

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

It is unwise to diagnose psychological condition from stories -- particularly those written by people of unknown identity and veracity. There is no assurance that any such events occurred, let alone that the details were recorded truthfully and accurately.

However, it might safely be said that if a modern person performed such actions claiming to have been instructed by 'voices', they would likely be institutionalized (unwillingly if necessary) to prevent harm to self or others.

It might be noted that actions attributed to other Bible characters would likely be grounds for institutionalization in modern times.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 2 by Zzyzx]
Zzyzx wrote: .
It is unwise to diagnose psychological condition from stories --
I read stories all the time and ponder upon the characters.
Unwise?

I'm just seeking for opinions.

:)

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

Yes, those are the symptoms of what are considered insane according to modern science.
Hearing voices that command you to do harm.
Harming yourself.
And certainly being willing to harm someone else, particularly a son or family member.

Today just that would be enough to have someone declared mad.

Unless you are a founder of a religion.
Which led the way for Moses... also certifiable.

I have to wonder, if an entire religion is founded on the observable principles of clinical insanity, what good can come of it?

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

Willum wrote:

I have to wonder, if an entire religion is founded on the observable principles of clinical insanity, what good can come of it?
I think he was just a brute of his time, a possibly fictional depiction of how a savage serves a savage God. The whole idea of a father taking his son to be slaughtered by his own knife repels us - but place it in the goodly setting of a good book and we abandon our disgust and raise Abraham to the heavens. We pretend that the man who shunned his first son, sending him and his mother away to the wilderness, is somehow hurt by spilling his second son's blood. I do not think Abraham was mad. He is as he is portrayed - brutal, despicable and the worst possible example.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JJ50 »

If he isn't just a storybook character, I think he was so indoctrinated by his idea of god, he wasn't thinking straight.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

JJ50 wrote: If he isn't just a storybook character, I think he was so indoctrinated by his idea of god, he wasn't thinking straight.
Or he was thinking straight and loved the idea of murdering someone with God's authorisation. The story is as horrible as human design can get, all the more so since the book that contains it is popularly known as a "holy book."

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 7 by marco]

Nothing holy about that book, especially the evil god character.

sorrento
Student

Re: Abraham was insane

Post #9

Post by sorrento »

[Replying to post 1 by Blastcat]

There is no doubt that anyone who would set about murdering someone because they heard a voice telling them to do so would today be considered mentally unstable or even insane.
Regarding Abraham and the aborted sacrifice of his son, it's the story that is insane. According to the bible, Abraham's wife gave birth to their son when she was ninety years old and Abraham was one hundred years old. The story is a load of crock in a book full of crock.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Re: Abraham was insane

Post #10

Post by JJ50 »

Moderator removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the "Like" function or the MGP button. For anything else use PM.