Why Jesus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Why Jesus?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe anyone went to heaven before Jesus.

- Even for those do believe Elijah, Abraham and others died and went to heaven, What, if anything did HIS resurrection change?

- If Jesus' resurrection was just one of many righteous people going to heaven, would it be fair to say if there were no resurrection reported for him, nothing in the Christian message would be different?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Why Jesus?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe anyone went to heaven before Jesus.

- Even for those do believe Elijah, Abraham and others died and went to heaven,
Where then, did Elijah go when he was taken up in the chariot of fire?
Why did Abraham make an appearance in Christ's parable of the rich man and Lazarus?
From Whence did Moses and Elijah appear with Christ during the Transfiguration?
JehovahsWitness wrote: What, if anything did HIS resurrection change?
Nothing perhaps, or perhaps the resurrection was a visible sign of YHVH's vindication of his life and ministry.
JehovahsWitness wrote: - If Jesus' resurrection was just one of many righteous people going to heaven, would it be fair to say if there were no resurrection reported for him, nothing in the Christian message would be different?
More emphasis, perhaps, on the teachings of Jesus regarding love of YHVH and of our fellow humans. More on his stated mission to "set the captives free" and "bring good news to the poor" and downtrodden. I.e, ushering in the decisive Jubilee known as the Kingdom of God. More emphasis on the Beattitudes and the Sermon on the Mount...instead of his manner of death and it's iimplications, or his manner of ascension.

But Paul says, "if Christ did not rise, then your faith is in vain and you are still in your sins".

How in the world does that follow? When Christ proclaimed the Father's mercy and the forgiveness of sins, before any talk of his "atoning death and resurrection".

Another one of Paul's non-seqiutors.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:
Nothing perhaps

Are you not sure?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Nothing perhaps

Are you not sure?
I'm not sure because I'm not sure the resurrection even happened as described, or what manner of resurrection it was.

But as I consider Jesus teachings about how to relate to God and our fellow humans of primary importance....the resurrection is secondary. A "sign". A sign of what?

A sign or Jesus vindication by God, a seal of approval of his teaching and healing ministry.

And a demonstration that we too, can be raised.

A sign of legitimacy of Paul's blood atonement theology, however, it was not.

THAT was a theological afterthought. Paul's interpretation of the events.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]
JW wrote:What, if anything did HIS resurrection change?
In the Old Testament, only a few were mentioned to going to Heaven. In the New Testament, it is open to Jew as well as Gentile, so that all have hope. His resurrection didn't change God's position, it changed ours.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Peds nurse wrote:In the Old Testament, only a few were mentioned to going to Heaven. In the New Testament, it is open to Jew as well as Gentile, so that all have hope. His resurrection didn't change God's position, it changed ours.
Do I understand correctly? Before Jesus' resurrection, only a few Jews could get to heaven. But after the resurrection, both Jews and Gentiles could have a heavenly expectation. For the thousands of years before Jesus, God (who we are told loved the world) made no provision for human salvation except for one small ethnic group living at the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea. But for the less than two thousand years since he has expanded his focus to include the rest of us.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 6 by McCulloch]

You know only a few Jews went to heaven, but do you know many gentiles went to heaven before Jesus came?

As a matter of fact, far more people went to heaven, minus Jews, before Christ than after -
Here are a few people who've gone to heaven, and would take you there if only you believe.

This doesn't include Ishtar and Tammuz, or Osiris and Isis.

Isn't that a lesson in religion?

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 7 by Willum]

Hey Willum!!!

How do you know all that? What is your reference?

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 8 by Peds nurse]

Seriously?
Which part are you having trouble with?
The one referenced in my previous post's link?
Or the one in the OP?

Sad, isn't it?
One of the premises of Christianity is that anyone can be saved, and that Jesus was the first to allow it.

But Jesus wasn't the firt to allow it - many gods came before him,doing the same miracles, making the same promises.
The Dark Ages burned and buried a lot of it - but history washes clean.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Peds nurse »

McCulloch wrote:
Peds nurse wrote:In the Old Testament, only a few were mentioned to going to Heaven. In the New Testament, it is open to Jew as well as Gentile, so that all have hope. His resurrection didn't change God's position, it changed ours.
MCCulloch wrote:Do I understand correctly? Before Jesus' resurrection, only a few Jews could get to heaven. But after the resurrection, both Jews and Gentiles could have a heavenly expectation. For the thousands of years before Jesus, God (who we are told loved the world) made no provision for human salvation except for one small ethnic group living at the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea. But for the less than two thousand years since he has expanded his focus to include the rest of us.
Hello McCulloch! So very, very, sorry for the delayed response.

In the beginning, it was meant that all would and could have a relationship with God. After sin entered the world, it separated us from God. In the OT, the atonement offered to reconcile our sins, was burnt offerings. Was not this the practice of the Jews? People could convert to being a Jew, but the rituals were what separated them apart from others that worshiped other God's. After the resurrection, both Jews and gentiles could have eternal life. The atonement for all sin was offered to everyone.