Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Bill O'Reilly Fired!

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News after sexual harassment allegations

Longtime Fox News host Bill O’Reilly will not return to the network in the wake of renewed scrutiny over allegations of sexual harassment, 21st Century Fox said Wednesday.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,� the Fox News parent company said in a statement.

The announcement comes after weeks of renewed scrutiny over O’Reilly’s behavior toward women at Fox News. O’Reilly and Fox reportedly settled several multi-million-dollar lawsuits with women who accused the host of sexual harassment.

O’Reilly last appeared on air on April 11 before taking what he said was a pre-planned vacation. New York magazine reported earlier Wednesday that the Murdoch family, which controls 21st Century Fox, had decided to cut ties with the host.

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-oreill ... legations/

Keith Olbermann continuously portrayed O'Reilly as the "Worse person in the world." Personally I think there are many much worse than O'Reilly.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Veteran newsman Ted Koppel told Fox News host Sean Hannity that he is "bad for America" in an interview that aired on CBS' Sunday Morning that quickly became a trending topic on social media Sunday. (3/27/17)

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

bluethread
Savant

Re: Bill O'Reilly Fired!

Post #21

Post by bluethread »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Would you even be caught dead in this march?

I'm confused. That picture could have been at a march opposing Hillary or Trump. Quite frankly marching for facts makes much more sense that all of the other things that the "snowflakes" are marching for. In my day people marched to give people the right to speak, today they march to take away people's right to speak. How are we going to get the facts if people are not allowed to speak?

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Collectively we need to stop electing and giving patronage to morally bankrupt individuals.
How do you propose "we" do that? It sound a little like the old Quaker saying, "Me thinks the whole world is crazy except me and thee; and sometimes I wonder about thee."

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #22

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 21 by bluethread]

Well we could start by not giving patronage and votes to people with clear ethical issues like Trump, Clinton, O'Reilly, Weiner, and others. It's not like we were barren for candidates that did not have these issues. There were 16 candidates up for election. You can't help those with hidden qualities but those with known issues should be disregarded.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #23

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 21 by bluethread]

Well we could start by not giving patronage and votes to people with clear ethical issues like Trump, Clinton, O'Reilly, Weiner, and others. It's not like we were barren for candidates that did not have these issues. There were 16 candidates up for election. You can't help those with hidden qualities but those with known issues should be disregarded.
Again, how do "we" do that? Am I allowed to take the franchise away from everyone else, because I find their choices offensive? There were plenty of people who voted for people other than Trump in the Republican primaries and Sanders had a very large following in the Democratic primaries. Presuming your idealistic viewpoint, should "we" vote for the also-rans and allow the crazy people to make the choice between the lesser of the two evils?

Regarding market options, i.e O'Reilly, Olbermann, Hannity, Schults, etc., modern media options have made this much easier. However, the left seems to think that "we" should not have those options. Rather than educating the market, they want to shut down those that they do not agree with. This seems to indicate that they can not compete in the market place of ideas, and do not think that "we" can be trusted with our patronage.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #24

bluethread wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Would you even be caught dead in this march?

I'm confused. That picture could have been at a march opposing Hillary or Trump. Quite frankly marching for facts makes much more sense that all of the other things that the "snowflakes" are marching for. In my day people marched to give people the right to speak, today they march to take away people's right to speak. How are we going to get the facts if people are not allowed to speak?

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Collectively we need to stop electing and giving patronage to morally bankrupt individuals.
How do you propose "we" do that? It sound a little like the old Quaker saying, "Me thinks the whole world is crazy except me and thee; and sometimes I wonder about thee."

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #25

[Replying to post 23 by bluethread]

Everything that happened with O'Reilly is a market driven method. All you have to do is simply not watch O'Reilly and spend your money and time elsewhere. It's not that hard of a proposal. The neo-liberal policy of censorship is wrong.

As for voting goes you reap what you sow, now republicans are represented by a moronic bloviating sexual harraser. If you want him as a representative of the party fine. If this trend continues people will respond and move out of the party just like how Megyn Kelly and Greta van Sustren left Fox News....
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #26

Post by bluethread »

[quote="Tired of the Nonsense"

Image[/quote]

Again, I am confused. Who is calling for outlawing science? Also with regard to this sign, how does one make someone else think? I'm just spit balling here, but, could it be by allowing them to deal with their own problems?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #27

[Replying to post 24 by Tired of the Nonsense]

If more science minded individuals wouldn't just abandon the Republican Party to the religious right you would see a difference. The problem is as I see it the demagoging of the Republicans as anti science. If we increase our polarization in an attempt to bury one political party over the other it leads to distinction in governance.

How can republicans elect science minded conservatives if the base for that is to small to make a difference?

bluethread
Savant

Post #28

Post by bluethread »

The press and the democrats wanted to sweep Clintons problems under the rug as a "personal matter", even though he was accused of far more than harassment and Hillary went after his accusers with vengeance. Which is interesting because during the presidential campaign she said all rape victims deserve to be believed. When people on the right are called out on this stuff, they are brought to task. However, when those who are "correct on the issues" do such things, it is overlooked. So, rant all you want, but until people stop rioting for peace, shutting people down in the name of free speech, and supporting women's rights misogynists, this is not going to stop. Irony makes it hard to take people seriously.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #29

bluethread wrote: Again, I am confused. Who is calling for outlawing science? Also with regard to this sign, how does one make someone else think? I'm just spit balling here, but, could it be by allowing them to deal with their own problems?
March for Science: Protesters gather worldwide to support 'evidence'
By Laura Smith-Spark and Jason Hanna, CNN
Updated 8:34 PM ET, Sat April 22, 2017

(CNN)Crowds massed in the US capital and around the world Saturday to support science and evidence-based research -- a protest partly fueled by opposition to President Donald Trump's threats of budget cuts to agencies funding scientists' work.

At the main March for Science, demonstrators gathered at Washington's National Mall to hear speakers laud science as the force moving humanity forward, and rail against policymakers they say are ignoring fact and research in areas including climate change.
"Today we have a great many lawmakers -- not just here but around the world -- deliberately ignoring and actively suppressing science," one of the event's speakers, TV host and scientist Bill Nye, told a rain-soaked crowd from a stage.

"Their inclination is misguided and in no one's best interest. Our lives are in every way improved by having clean water, reliable electricity and access to electronic global information."

Besides the Washington march, organizers said more than 600 "satellite" marches were taking place globally in a protest timed to coincide with Earth Day.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/health/gl ... r-science/

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #30

bluethread wrote: The press and the democrats wanted to sweep Clintons problems under the rug as a "personal matter", even though he was accused of far more than harassment and Hillary went after his accusers with vengeance. Which is interesting because during the presidential campaign she said all rape victims deserve to be believed. When people on the right are called out on this stuff, they are brought to task. However, when those who are "correct on the issues" do such things, it is overlooked. So, rant all you want, but until people stop rioting for peace, shutting people down in the name of free speech, and supporting women's rights misogynists, this is not going to stop. Irony makes it hard to take people seriously.
No one ever claimed that Monica Lewinsky was anything other that a willing participant.