Jehovah's Witnesses meet with fellow believers ...

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Jehovah's Witnesses meet with fellow believers ...

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses meet together twice a week with fellow believers for fellowship, mutual prayer and to read the bible and sing spiritual songs...

Do you believe fellowship* is a valid part of worship?

JW

* physically being in the same location rather than online fellowship
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

In Deuteronomy 31:12 it says, "Gather the people together, the men, the women, the children, and your foreign resident who is within your cities, in order that they may listen and learn about and fear Jehovah your God and take care to carry out all the words of this Law." The in the Christian Greek scriptures it says in Acts 2:42 "They continued devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles, to associating together...". Of course there is Hebrews 10:25 that says do not forsake meeting together as some have the custom. There in Hebrews it is clear there are two types. Those that meet together and those that don't. We as Christians shouldn't be of the kind that forsake meeting together.

We just had out one day convention this past weekend and it was brought out that one the ways to gain faith is by "encouraging one another". Paul said in Romans 1:11, 12 "For I am longing to see you, that I may impart some spiritual gift to you for you to be made firm; or, rather, that we may have an interchange of encouragement by one another’s faith, both yours and mine."

Not only do I believe it is a part of worship, the Bible commands it, therefore surpasses belief and its a rock solid truth. God's people have always had the custom to be gathered throughout history. In Russia, they are trying to crush this privilege for Jehovah's Witnesses and on April 20th, 2017 they moved one step closer to trying to reach this goal. Their law will not stop them. Acts 5:29 says that we must obey God's law rather than man's when they conflict each other. Even if it means prison for us or worse.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by 2timothy316]

Indeed it is part of worship. Jesus actually said when two or three of his disciples meet together he would be there.

Thinking of our Russian brothers and sisters right now...

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

[Replying to post 2 by 2timothy316]

Do you think that the fact that most nominal Christians do not feel that meeting together is part of their worship will facilitatee things when Babylon the Great is destroyed. I can't help thinking that people will simply shrug and conclude that they practiced their "fellowship" online with people that vaguely held similar views anyway so "no big deal".

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]

I would just add that even if its not viewed as worship, encouragement can be a positive thing. There is such a thing as positive peer pressure.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 2 by 2timothy316]

Do you think that the fact that most nominal Christians do not feel that meeting together is part of their worship will facilitatee things when Babylon the Great is destroyed. I can't help thinking that people will simply shrug and conclude that they practiced their "fellowship" online with people that vaguely held similar views anyway so "no big deal".
People's indifference toward religion will certainly play a part as false religion goes down. I am waiting anxiously for the false cry of 'Peace and security' and how that plays out toward religion and politics. As I watch the news and people continue to grow more and more tired of religious influenced violence and them putting their hand into political pies everywhere, I know the Bible has it right when it says people will say of her, "Too bad, too bad, you great city". (Rev 18:9-19) Verse 10 notes that all people including politicians, travel agencies and merchants will 'stand at a distance' out of the fear of judgements being placed on Babylon the Great. Revelation is not talking about just judgements by countries either but by the general public too. 1 in 5 in America that claim they believe in God but dislike organized religion. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... on-behind/

This means 20% of those that believe God exist and not part of a religion want nothing to do with religion. They certainly will not care if religions start disappearing. They might feel bad for the people saying 'too bad' but will forget about it within the next news cycle much less do anything to stop it. That 1 in 5 is growing as there is another 18% that are religiously unsure/undecided. As the Baby Boomers lose their influence the younger generations might see religion as a burden. I don't know exactly how all of this is going to go down but I am like the angels, 'peering' to see how this all unfolds. (1 Peter 1:12.)

This is all Jehovah's doing as He is exposing her for what she is, a liar, an oppressor of peace, a robber and a murderer. Just like the oppression our peaceful brothers in sisters in Russia. Everyone knows who is really behind this. The Blaze put it this way, "Christianity is the largest religious group in Russia. The Russian Orthodox Church claims to have a worldwide membership of about 150 million. According to several media reports, Russian Orthodox leaders have supported the ban on the Jehovah’s Witnesses, whose religious views conflict with many Russian Orthodox teachings." http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/22 ... ationwide/

In Russia, right now there are people being persecuted by a political group that is under the control of a religion. Most people don't realize what this means for others. Russia is giving the other religions a blueprint on how to manipulate their governments. We will just have to wait and see who it all plays out.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

[Replying to post 6 by 2timothy316]

We are certainly living in momentus times... I used to (years ago) wonder how on earth Babylon would be destroyed, I believed it but couldn't imagine a ban on religion, it seemed so "out there"... but now, I can see it happening very easily. I live in Europe and I can tell you the whole thing could come tumbling down without hardly a whimper if people believed it was for their personal security.

The churches are empty and even Islam, which looks so formidable has its force in its cultural and political center more than its religious teachings. We will just have to wait and see how things pan out...

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 6 by 2timothy316]

We are certainly living in momentus times... I used to (years ago) wonder how on earth Babylon would be destroyed, I believed it but couldn't imagine a ban on religion, it seemed so "out there"... but now, I can see it happening very easily. I live in Europe and I can tell you the whole thing could come tumbling down without hardly a whimper if people believed it was for their personal security.

The churches are empty and even Islam, which looks so formidable has its force in its cultural and political center more than its religious teachings. We will just have to wait and see how things pan out...
I am right there with you. Just like Revelation says she is a 'Great City'. Even when Jehovah said that the real city of Babylon would fall it seemed like an impossibility. But it was the 'drying up' of the waters around Babylon that made it fall. True to His word, Jehovah is doing it again and I say let her fall. I'm so ready for the kingdom! I am ready to see only peaceful people on the Earth!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by 2timothy316]

Can't wait either - what a day that will be. Religion has always had a favored place - she's still sitting pretty but Jehovah will put it into the hearts of the UN and she will go!

Not long now.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

As a Christian I would have said yes, it is a part of worship. It becomes so especially when you talk about God with each other or pray with one another. Any thing that puts God as the focus of attention is a form of worship.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World