Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

The Pope vs. Creationists

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Here from the leader of the largest Christian denomination:
The theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real and God is not “a magician with a magic wand�, Pope Francis has declared.

Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories� of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.

Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it�.

“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,� Francis said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 22514.html
Is it time for others to catch up?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 25 by Zzyzx]

All I meant is that this is not the thread to debate EJ beliefs. There are plenty of threads created by him that give an opportunity to explain and debate Christianity.

Specifically EJ interprets the bible according to his reason and picks and chooses the passages he likes. But how does he know which verse in the bible is God breathed or not? If you were willing you would also point out the problems with that view. But sometimes I feel that your view is that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In the end my statement was more a statement on our forum participation. Perhaps a smiley on the end of the post would have helped.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Elijah John
Savant

Post #32

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 25 by Zzyzx]

All I meant is that this is not the thread to debate EJ beliefs. There are plenty of threads created by him that give an opportunity to explain and debate Christianity.

Specifically EJ interprets the bible according to his reason and picks and chooses the passages he likes. But how does he know which verse in the bible is God breathed or not? If you were willing you would also point out the problems with that view. But sometimes I feel that your view is that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In the end my statement was more a statement on our forum participation. Perhaps a smiley on the end of the post would have helped.
Oh no you don't. You bring up the subject of my beliefs, and then blame it on me?

I was explaining the Catholic position on the matter...namely a non-literal interpretation of the Bible and that the Bible is not regarded as a book of science by the Church, though it seems to be such for you literalists.

That view is what enables the Pope to reconcile RCC theology with what we know of the real world and science.

In that regard, (that the Bible is not a book of science but of Spiritual inspiration) yes, my belief concurs with that of the Pope.

But that is far different than attempting to make this thread about my beliefs, which is what you seem to be charging.

That is what YOU brought to the table, not me.
Last edited by Elijah John on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Derrrpp
Student

Post #33

Post by Derrrpp »

Does anyone else also read that "nothing is impossibile with God" was meant metaphorically as a result? Or were his comments strictly ad hoc to Genesis?

Willum
Savant

Post #34

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 33 by Derrrpp]

I read it as a sort Illuminati-comspiracy-type thingy.

The word of God.
I am the Alpha and Omega.
All things are possible through God.
etc...

God is the alphabet.
Immortality is only for the few... the writers, and people who are written about.
God in consonents: YHVH.
God in vowels: IOVE
They are pronounced the same.
You can write about impossible being and events with words, just as God can allegedly.

and so on.

Just a neat parlor trick at this point, but it makes more sense than resurrection.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight