No votes

Total votes: 2

OnceConvinced
Savant

What would be worse?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

In another thread:
William wrote: ...death by stoning - while an ugly way to go is still not as harsh as prison time,
What would be worse? Being stoned to death or being imprisoned for life?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

zjsd26
Student

Post #2

Post by zjsd26 »

I would say being in imprisoned is worse. Since being stoned in the death can take only a few seconds until the person becomes unresponsive. In jail, there's lots of violence, killing, and racism. Being imprisoned can cause a huge negative influence on someone.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Re: What would be worse?

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

OnceConvinced wrote: In another thread:
William wrote: ...death by stoning - while an ugly way to go is still not as harsh as prison time,
What would be worse? Being stoned to death or being imprisoned for life?
So, as my liberalism goes, and my inclination as a Christian as well, is to see the punishment fit the crime and that the punishment be redemptive. The concept is out there, already. It's called restorative justice. Stonings to death redeem no one. And, generally, incarceration for life redeems no one.

But we could view imprisonment as a necessary but temporary measure to teach criminals a decent way of life, that does not impose costs on society, but contributes to its progress. This would take a little investment, and some forbearance, but since bad people that go into bad prisons are going to come out of them bad people, and a social liability, it would be more sensible to have a system where bad people go into good prisons and come out of them good people, and with the desire to improve on the world. And so, I think, they and we, would all be better off if we neither stoned people nor locked them up and with the key thrown away.

We could, and should, redeem criminals in the same way Jesus redeemed sinners.

Best wishes, 2RM

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

zjsd26 wrote: I would say being in imprisoned is worse.
So if you really do believe that, then why haven't you voted on the poll?

zjsd26 wrote: Since being stoned in the death can take only a few seconds until the person becomes unresponsive. In jail, there's lots of violence, killing, and racism. Being imprisoned can cause a huge negative influence on someone.
So you would rather be dead?

People can make the best of life in all sorts of terrible situations. I would agree that if you were going to be suffering horribly all your life then you would be better of dead, but in most prisons there is a lot of security and people are looked after.

Many people actually find themselves preferring to be in prison instead of the outside world because they are taken care of and have all their needs met. In many prisons these days they get all sorts perks and privileges.

What if you find that you actually enjoy being in prison like some criminals do? I mean if it's really as terrible as you think, you can always commit suicide.
zjsd26 wrote: In jail, there's lots of violence, killing, and racism.
And a lot more of that OUTSIDE of jail. At least in jail you have prison guards keeping an eye on things to make sure they don't get out of hand.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

Depends on the condition of the prison I suppose.