Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15243
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 153 times
Contact:

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse mentioned in the book of Revelation (chapter 6) represent Jesus (first) and the present world conditions (horsemen 2 through 4) particularly in evidence since 1914.

Image

What, do you think the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are and why?


My question really is directed to those that believe that the book of Revelation does have some kind of spiritual meaning.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Neatras
Guru
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Oklahoma, US
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

Under what conditions would the "present world" cease to fit the bill for being rapture-ready? Because I've known Christians my entire life doing everything in their power to define their current generation as being in the End Times; and from records and reports of the past centuries, this hasn't changed much at all.

If every sign is a sign of the apocalypse, that presents no value or accuracy in predictions. So instead I'll ask what conditions represent an unlikeliness for imminent rapture. If there are any, I'll be pleasantly surprised, because Christianity is engineered to utilize the best mental gymnastics to keep every Christian on the edge of their seats, hoping they'll be the ones to see the world go up in flames while they ascend to heaven.

Though preferably after they've lived a long, happy life they're comfortable leaving behind. I mean, screw the next generation, they don't get a turn! Christ's a-comin'!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15243
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 153 times
Contact:

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 2 by Neatras]

Interesting comments, however I cannot glean an actual answer to the question in your post. I'll repost the OP in case it wasn't clear what I was asking.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
What, do you think the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are and why?


My question really is directed to those that believe that the book of Revelation does have some kind of spiritual meaning.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Neatras
Guru
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Oklahoma, US
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #4

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]

Shucks. Thing is, I'm not comfortable providing an answer until I know the conditions of the apocalypse and these purported horsemen's qualities. Providing a critical analysis requires more than gullibility, after all, and I don't want to diminish the quality of my answer just to satisfy your tastes.

polonius
Prodigy
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Post #5

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse mentioned in the book of Revelation (chapter 6) represent Jesus (first) and the present world conditions (horsemen 2 through 4) particularly in evidence since 1914.

Image

What, do you think the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are and why?


My question really is directed to those that believe that the book of Revelation does have some kind of spiritual meaning.
RESPONSE: I think they are fictional like the rest of the book of Revelation. But it's a good yarn!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15243
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 153 times
Contact:

Re: Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius.advice wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse mentioned in the book of Revelation (chapter 6) represent Jesus (first) and the present world conditions (horsemen 2 through 4) particularly in evidence since 1914.

Image

What, do you think the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are and why?


My question really is directed to those that believe that the book of Revelation does have some kind of spiritual meaning.
RESPONSE: I think they are fictional like the rest of the book of Revelation. But it's a good yarn!

Thank you for your contribution. I am more interested however in answers from people that believe the work means something.

Thanks anyway,
JW

Image

Further reading
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017086
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

Neatras wrote: [Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]

Shucks. Thing is, I'm not comfortable providing an answer until I know the conditions of the apocalypse and these purported horsemen's qualities. Providing a critical analysis requires more than gullibility, after all, and I don't want to diminish the quality of my answer just to satisfy your tastes.
Whew! Talk about dancing all around a question! The question is clear and in no way seeks to diminish anyone's ability to provide an answer.

What do YOU understand the Four Horsemen to be?

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15243
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 153 times
Contact:

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Neatras wrote: If every sign is a sign of the apocalypse, that presents no value or accuracy in predictions.

Is anyone here suggesting this?

Image
source: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017086#h=15
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
2ndRateMind
Site Supporter
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 am
Location: Pilgrim on another way
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Post #9

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Traditionally, the four horseman of the apocalypse are war, famine, pestilence and death. They are all related. Each one is connected to each one other, in both obvious and more subtle ways*. I see no connection between them and Jesus, other that He died that they may all eventually be defeated.

The four horsemen have always stalked the world, and will continue to do so until all humanity learns to honour Jesus' second great commandment, to love each other; not only our friends, but also our enemies.

Best wishes, 2RM.

*For example, if you have a war, subsistence farmers will be unable to tend their land for fear of being caught in the crossfire, and so they will be malnourished and prone to disease, and in danger of death.

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

2ndRateMind wrote: Traditionally, the four horseman of the apocalypse are war, famine, pestilence and death. They are all related. Each one is connected to each one other, in both obvious and more subtle ways*. I see no connection between them and Jesus, other that He died that they may all eventually be defeated.

The four horsemen have always stalked the world, and will continue to do so until all humanity learns to honour Jesus' second great commandment, to love each other; not only our friends, but also our enemies.

Best wishes, 2RM.

*For example, if you have a war, subsistence farmers will be unable to tend their land for fear of being caught in the crossfire, and so they will be malnourished and prone to disease, and in danger of death.
The four horsemen have been riding since 1914 when the unprecedented world war broke out. That would be the entrance of the red horse. As already explained, Jesus, on the white horse, started "riding" when he took his crown in 1914, kicked Satan out of heaven, thus starting the intensified rides of the other 3 horsemen. Jesus' reign, starting in 1914 was closely associated with Satan's ouster from heaven at Revelation 12:7-12. You'll notice that Satan, when thrown down to the earth, had "great anger, knowing he has a short period of time." So, again, his anger caused him to foment even greater violence on Earth, and thus WWI and the ride of the red horse. The other riders would follow, as you indicated, having of course been influenced by the red horse.

:evil: world war....good plan for Satan

Post Reply