Making it known what type of atheist you are and why.

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Making it known what type of atheist you are and why.

Post #1

Post by William »

I just read this in an OP:

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]
1) I am an atheist on philosophical grounds: mainly the problem of evil. I have no interest in discussing that topic. My mind is set.
My thoughts on this are as follows.

Atheism does not have reasons for lacking belief in GODs. It is simply a position. Therefore there are no grounds necessary for an atheist to lack beliefs in GODs. An atheist simply holds a position.

Thus, reasons for lacking belief, such as "your mind is made up regarding the problem of evil", are besides the point.

"I am an atheist because I lack belief in GODs." is all that atheism is.

"I lack belief in GODs because {__________}" is something else again.
It is like saying

"I am an atheist because {__________}" when the fact of the matter is, one is an atheist because one lacks belief in GODs, and that is all.

'Why' one lacks belief in GODs can be for any number of reasons, not all of which those calling themselves 'atheists' share, just like theists don't all share the same beliefs.
The reason I make comment about this is because there is often complaint that theists don't understand what atheism is and what atheists are and a big part of that reason is because statements such as this one, can and do confuse people. It muddies the waters and lumps all types of atheists into the same category.

The reason there are subsets of atheism is meant to distinguish the types of atheists and it would be better all round if atheists identified as being the type they best fit with when interacting in a public setting. Just as it can be helpful to a non theist to know what type of theist they are interacting with.

That is what I think. What do you think about this?

Cheers

William

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Making it known what type of atheist you are and why.

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

William wrote:"I am an atheist because I lack belief in GODs." is all that atheism is.

"I lack belief in GODs because {__________}" is something else again.
It is like saying

"I am an atheist because {__________}" when the fact of the matter is, one is an atheist because one lacks belief in GODs, and that is all.
"I am an atheist because I lack belief in God or gods" is a meaningless tautology. If someone were to ask why I am an atheist, answering that I don't believe in God would add nothing to the conversation.

"I am an atheist because {__________}"
Is exactly equivalent to
"I lack belief in God because {__________}"
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to post 2 by McCulloch]
"I am an atheist because {__________}"
Is exactly equivalent to
"I lack belief in God because {__________}"
If that were the case there would be no confusion.

Can you offer anything else in reply to the overall OP context?

Are you an atheist? If 'yes' then I know that you lack belief in GODs.

If 'Yes', I still don't know what type of atheist you are, and for the sake of clarity and lessening the confusion, and to help me understand the exact position you are coming from, this would naturally be important, don't ya think?

If 'no' then I have to wonder WHY you don't want me to understand your exact position in relation to your expression on this forum. I would be left with the choice of ignoring you of making presumptions which may not be at all accurate.
The better choice of the two for me to make would be to ignore you.

Because, if it were only your intention to have me know you as someone who lacks belief in GOD, your reasons for doing so are for all intent and purpose, irrelevant.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote: If 'Yes', I still don't know what type of atheist you are, and for the sake of clarity and lessening the confusion, and to help me understand the exact position you are coming from, this would naturally be important, don't ya think?
Although my position is Non-Theist rather that Atheist, the first paragraph of my signature should leave no doubt about my theistic position.

How does that information help anyone in responding to my posts?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

Zzyzx wrote: .
William wrote: If 'Yes', I still don't know what type of atheist you are, and for the sake of clarity and lessening the confusion, and to help me understand the exact position you are coming from, this would naturally be important, don't ya think?
Although my position is Non-Theist rather that Atheist, the first paragraph of my signature should leave no doubt about my theistic position.

How does that information help anyone in responding to my posts?
I would zone in on the 'cornbread'. :)

Even mentioning that stuff surely paints you as some sort of wheat bread detractor and thus we can determine all manner of ways of attacking your posts. :) :)