When is it time to stop hating?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

When is it time to stop hating?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

I work with a German and he is terribly self-conscious about Nazi-ism. He is essentially persecuted for the most popularized event in what was not human genocide, as the victims, survived, as opposed to successful events, like Kurds, and Palestine, Native Americans, etc..

He frequently points out that the majority of Germany was under their own terror, fighting a war they didn't want, conducting atrocities, the majority was unaware of, or at least had their own necks to worry about during this crisis.

Nazi's at their peak, only controlled 14% of the German population.
There are incredibly few who participated or endorsed the vile practices of the regime, and still fewer who advocate genocide.

For how long must we keep stereotyping Germans by immediately associating them with Nazi's?
Should European's immediately associate the US with the SUCCESSFUL genocide of it's native peoples?

Should China immediately associate it's neighbor, the Russian provinces with their SUCCESSFUL elimination of another 4 million Jewish AND 40 million of the rest of us?

When does it end? How long do we vilify Nebuchadnezzar and Ptolemy II?

When do you stop the stereotype and the hatred?

Monta
Guru

Post #21

Post by Monta »

[Replying to bluethread]

"However, not only do I think it is not wrong to recognize differences and have preferences, I think it is inevitable. The real solution is to be accurate with one's accusations. I have no problem with faulting Jewish Bolshevism, but holding ALL Jews responsible for ALL of the actions of ALL Bolsheviks is not appropriate."

Let's hope we can recognise differences and accept them.

It's prefferable not to have accusations if we can help it, but being accurate is difficult.
Today's political scene attests to that.
I can not imagine anybody holding all Jews responsible for what Bolsevics are held to be responsible for. We are not holding all Americans all Brits responsible for Iraq or Libya but history will not be that kind to say 'only few' are responsible.
The truth is that if majority had opposed it, it would not have happened.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: When is it time to stop hating?

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: When do you stop the stereotype and the hatred?
Jesus said to love your neighbour, good standards to live by in my opinion.

Each one stands or falls before their maker, if we can learn from the past their is not reason to carrya collective guilt about it no matter what nation we are born in.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Clownboat
Savant

Re: When is it time to stop hating?

Post #23

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Willum wrote: When do you stop the stereotype and the hatred?
Jesus said to love your neighbour, good standards to live by in my opinion.
Let's give credit where credit is due:
- Ancient Egypt.- circa 2000 BCE “Do for one who may do for you, That you may cause him thus to do.� – The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant 109-110
- Zoroastrianism.- circa 600 BCE “That nature only is good when it shall not do unto another whatever is not good for its own self.� – Dadistan-i-Dinik 94:5,
- Buddhism.- circa 500 BCE “Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.� – Udana-Varga 5:18,
- Confucianism.- circa 500 BCE “What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.� Analects of Confucius 15:24,
- Socrates.- circa 400 BCE “Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others.�

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Jesus subscribed to this line of thought. No surprise though especially if he was a Mahayana Buddhists like some believe.
Each one stands or falls before their maker,
These comments are probably more appropriate to make in church. Here, not everyone believes like you.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb