Does it ever occur to Evangelicals

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Does it ever occur to Evangelicals

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

A woman on TBN testified that "I just called on the name of Jesus and...".

For debate, does it ever occur to Trinitarian Christians to call on the name of the Father?

If not, why not?
Last edited by Elijah John on Mon May 22, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: "I just called on the name of Jesus".

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: Some, perhaps, and mostly I would have to ignore the Gospel of John, which beautiiful as it may be, historical Jesus scholars regard as dubious. I agree with them.
Surely you realize that for most Christians the Book of John is central to Christianity:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Elijah John wrote: And by "Son of God" I mean his primary prophet, or his most beloved human Son.
Why should any Christian care what "you mean"? :-k

If you want to toss out the virgin birth of Jesus by Mary as "The only begotten Son of God", you'll need to toss out a lot more than just the Gospel of John. You'll also need to toss out the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke as well.

This leaves you very little to point to. About all you have left at that point are the writings of Paul and if I'm not mistaken you have rejected Paul's views as well.

I have no clue what you believe "Christianity" to be at this point, but whatever it is I doubt that it would look much like "Christianity" to most Christians.

You are certainly welcome to hold your own views on these religions, so all I know to do say is that what you describe as "Christianity" is totally unrecognizable to me, and I do not support your views on this religion. As far as I can see, your views simply require tossing out too much of the Christian doctrines.

In your posts all I see is a "Muslim" who for some unknown reasons wants to claim to be a "Christian". You've totally supported the view of Muslims that Jesus is just a prophet and not the literal Son of God.

So from my perspective all I see is someone claiming to be a "Christian" whilst simultaneously renouncing everything that the Christian Gospels have to say about Jesus.

If I were a Christian I would suspect that you are a Muslim who is attempting to convince Christians to demote Jesus to being "Just a prophet" as the Muslims believe.

Obviously I don't believe in any of these Abrahamic religions so you people can have your own religious wars over who Jesus might have been. Personally I think such bickering is silly, as well as being extremely dangerous. These kinds of religious disputes historically lead only to Holy Wars with each side proclaiming that their views on God are correct whilst the other side has it all wrong.

And it certainly appears to me that according to your position Mark, Matthew, Luke, John and Paul are among those who "have it all wrong".
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Elijah John
Savant

Re: "I just called on the name of Jesus".

Post #12

Post by Elijah John »

Divine Insight wrote:
Elijah John wrote: Some, perhaps, and mostly I would have to ignore the Gospel of John, which beautiiful as it may be, historical Jesus scholars regard as dubious. I agree with them.
Surely you realize that for most Christians the Book of John is central to Christianity:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Elijah John wrote: And by "Son of God" I mean his primary prophet, or his most beloved human Son.
Why should any Christian care what "you mean"? :-k
You asked me for my views in post # 8, remember? Instead of starting a seperate topic in the "ask a member " thread.

You seem to have ignored my points and quotes as to why I consider Jesus essential, and seem to have little familiarity with, or respect for the conclusions of historical Jesus scholars.

You seem to have allowed Fundamentalists to define Christianity for you, and then rejected it.

Fair enough. But that's not the only valid approach to Christianity.

And besides, this thread is not about my views. It is about wondering why Evangelicals call on the name of Jesus, instead of the name of Jehovah.

After all, they claim to accept the OT as well, and often quote form the Psalms etc. for their own purposes.

They seem to want it both ways, something you sometimes accuse me of. They ignore ignore the good bulk of identity passages which proclaim that YHVH alone is God.

This is odd, because even Trintarians pay lip service to the Father, who, after all, is part of the Trinity, isn't He?

But by and large they don't call on His name.

And don't call me a Muslim. I am not. As Seinfeld would say, "not that there's anything wrong with that". But for me, it's not true.

Since classic, Unitarian Christianity (William Ellery Channing, Google him.) has pretty much gone by the wayside, I consider Jews and Muslims my theological allies. But I am not a member of either religion.
Last edited by Elijah John on Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Zzyzx »

Divine Insight wrote: In your posts all I see is a "Muslim" who for some unknown reasons wants to claim to be a "Christian". You've totally supported the view of Muslims that Jesus is just a prophet and not the literal Son of God.

So from my perspective all I see is someone claiming to be a "Christian" whilst simultaneously renouncing everything that the Christian Gospels have to say about Jesus.

If I were a Christian I would suspect that you are a Muslim who is attempting to convince Christians to demote Jesus to being "Just a prophet" as the Muslims believe.
:warning: Moderator Warning

DI you know better than to make personal remarks or critique another person's religion. You are capable enough to debate without the negativity.

This was almost a Final Warning, so be more civil.

Kindly review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence