Rubicon and Ressurections

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Rubicon and Ressurections

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

If the claim of, say, the REsurrection of Jesus, is as supportable as, say, that Caesar crossed the Rubicon, would one not be obliged to do one of two things: accept the Resurrection, or reject this bit about Caesar (as well as all other historical beliefs that have the same kind of support from historical methodology)?
If the story of the resurrection and the crossing of the rubicon had the same historical evidentiary support are they still equal historical claims in their veracity?

After all armies and people have crossed shallow rivers all the time throughout history. Crossing a river is an actual thing people can do. Whether Julius Ceaser literally crossed the river himself or simply commanded his army to do so is irrelevant to the fact that humans are known to cross rivers.

People are not known to resurrect. I have not seen a resurrection, biological research points to resurrection as being not possible, there is no documented and proven cases of resurrections. Bluntly and blatantly resurrection is a thing of supernatural fairy tales.

One is not obliged therefor if one accepts Julius Ceaser crossing the Rubicon to accept the resurrection.

Here is an example

This morning I ate a donut.

This morning I killed a unicorn and made a pair of chopsticks with its tail feathers.

Both are equally attested.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Savant

Re: Rubicon and Ressurections

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Why is it that you think that "people nowadays can't do the same"? Are you suggesting that it is impossible? Or can you simply not conceive of how it could be done? People have been moving rocks around and building things for quite some time, maybe you haven't noticed.
� The largest granite stones in the pyramid, found in the "King's" chamber, weigh 25 to 80 tonnes and were transported from Aswan, more than 800 km (500 mi) away.�
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyramid_of_Giza

How would modern man carry stone that weighs 80 ton 500 miles, with the technology Egyptians had?

Even though something seems impossible, it doesn’t necessary mean it is impossible.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #32

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: Why is it that you think that "people nowadays can't do the same"? Are you suggesting that it is impossible? Or can you simply not conceive of how it could be done? People have been moving rocks around and building things for quite some time, maybe you haven't noticed.
� The largest granite stones in the pyramid, found in the "King's" chamber, weigh 25 to 80 tonnes and were transported from Aswan, more than 800 km (500 mi) away.�

How would modern man carry stone that weighs 80 ton 500 miles, with the technology Egyptians had?

Even though something seems impossible, it doesn’t necessary mean it is impossible.
See this link for some possibilities:

http://www.catchpenny.org/movebig.html

Basically: boats, rollers (logs), and a lot of manual labor. Easy? No. Possible? Yes.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote:
benchwarmer wrote:
1213 wrote: So, that must mean that pyramids are not made by man, if people nowadays can’t do the same? Now I understand why people think aliens did it.
Why is it that you think that "people nowadays can't do the same"? Are you suggesting that it is impossible? Or can you simply not conceive of how it could be done? People have been moving rocks around and building things for quite some time, maybe you haven't noticed.

Bold added.

Are we playing 'Switcheroo'?

The original claim 'people nowadays can’t do the same' switched to add 'with the technology Egyptians had'.

Current people CAN move 80 ton (and more) rocks 500 miles (and more) -- and are NOT limited to the technology of ancient Egypt. Current people have no incentive to limit themselves to ancient technology. We (they) have much more capable technology. Notice that we do not use steam locomotives or sail-powered ships to move cargo. Most of us don't use animals for transportation.

The most extremely heavy load ever transported in North America. 2,314,000 lbs. (2,157 tons)

A Boeing 747 -- 400 Freighter has a cargo capacity of 635,000 pounds (317.5 tons). Russia has heavier lifting aircraft.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #34

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 33 by Zzyzx]

The problem, is, apparently, that 1213 will not read: Despite colloquial wisdom to the contrary, we know how the ancients moved and placed the stones. They ferried them down the Nile. They re-channeled the Nile. They created locks allowing the boats, and there quarry (get it?) to be raised and lowered into place.

Goose
Guru

Post #35

Post by Goose »

Kenisaw wrote: Obviously you have raised the level of plausible from what people originally meant, but we will roll with it. First, you obviously can't argue that it is plausible that Caesar crossed the Rubicon, in either direction (he did have to leave Rome to go north after all). Men and armies crossed the Rubicon all the time. There is no rational doubt as to the plausibility of people crossing the Rubicon.
If the claim was that Caesar went for a stroll one afternoon and stepped across the Rubicon then all you’d need is an example of someone crossing the Rubicon. But that’s not the claim. The claim is that Caesar crossed the Rubicon with an army in violation of Roman law thereby making him and his entire army traitors. The penalty for which was death. What you haven’t done, or don’t seem able to do, is find a case contextually analogous to Caesar that builds plausibility for Cesar’s crossing. That is after all what you argue the resurrection doesn’t have thereby making the evidence for the resurrection inferior.
Since you can't argue that mundane fact, you attempt to raise the stakes by getting detailed.
But you are doing the same thing. You want a known contextually analogous case to Jesus with a three day dead person returning to life to establish plausibility for Jesus. I’m asking where is the known contextually analogous case in regards to Caesar’s crossing. You implied you had one. Where is it?
You want the plausibility of a Roman general returning to Italia with a standing army. That Pompey went back to Rome with his army in 71 BC coming back from Gaul doesn't matter apparently, nor does Pompey and Crassus both returning to Rome with their separate armies after the Servile War. Seems people heading back to Rome with an army isn't a unique thing after all.
Pompey and Crassus led armies in Italia at the request of Rome to put down slave rebellion under Spartacus. They eventually disbanded their armies according to Appian. Their actions did not violate Roman law and were therefore not considered treason. Caesar’s were. They are not analogous to Caesar.

Not to mention in regards to Pompey and Crassus you are appealing to the same late, second hand, biased, contradictory, and anonymous texts that we get our information for Caesar’s crossing. That would be like me appealing to the resurrection of Lazarus as a case example of a resurrection to establish plausibility for Jesus.
Actually I'd just like a resurrection of any person known to be dead.
I gave you one. You provided no evidence he wasn’t dead.
By all means, do go on. I'd love to hear alternative explanations for the coins struck in 47 BC noting Caesar's 2nd year of reign, or the coins struck nothing Caesar's assassination. Please present your version of history for all the battles between Roman forces in Spain and Greece and Italia proper. Start with Pompey leaving Rome of course, and go from there.
Oh I see. So what you are arguing is Caesar crossing the Rubicon is the best overall theory in its scope and power to explain the ensuing events.

So some coins were made. People make coins. Big deal. Where are the coins depicting Caesar’s crossing of the Rubicon though? Conflicts between political rivals happen. Nothing special about that. Hardly evidence Caesar crossed the Rubicon.

Go ahead and explain the disciples sincere belief Jesus rose from the dead. Go ahead and explain their preaching the resurrection despite persecution and the threat of death. Go ahead and explain the conversion of Paul and James. Go ahead and provide a better overall theory in scope and explanatory power than the resurrection.
I can prove he is alive. I have empirical evidence, and it can walk up and give you a hug.
:lol: Still arguing in a circle. Of course the man was alive after being dead. That’s what makes it a resurrection. Duh.
Where's your data that he died? That someone proclaimed him dead?
Not just someone. A surgeon and anesthesiologist.
And I bet they wished him well when he went home 13 days later. I guess doctors are never wrong with their diagnosis...
But where is your evidence he wasn’t dead?

alwayson
Sage

Post #36

Post by alwayson »

[Replying to post 35 by Goose]

Paul emphasizes that the resurrection stuff is only from the Scriptures and dreams/visions.

Septuagint version of Zechariah 3 and 6 gives the exact name of Jesus, describing him as confronting Satan, being crowned king, ‘rising’ from his place below, and building up God’s house, given supreme authority over God’s domain and ending all sins in a single day.

Also there were no disciples of Jesus:

"Not once does Paul refer to Jesus as a teacher, to his words as teaching, or to [any] Christians as disciples. ....... In short, Paul cannot be considered a reliable witness to either the teachings, the life, or the historical existence of Jesus."
---Gerd Lüdemann, ‘Paul as a Witness to the Historical Jesus’, Sources of the Jesus Tradition: Separating History from Myth (Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books, 2010), pp. 196-212 (211-12)

"Moreover, when Paul himself summarizes the content of his missionary preaching in Corinth (1 Cor. 2.1-2; 15.3-5), there is no hint that a narration of Jesus’ earthly life or a report of his earthly teachings was an essential part of it. . . . In the letter to the Romans, which cannot presuppose the apostle’s missionary preaching and in which he attempts to summarize its main points, we find not a single direct citation of Jesus’ teaching."
----Lüdemann, ‘Paul as a Witness to the Historical Jesus’, p. 211

Willum
Savant

Post #37

Post by Willum »

Ah, now we are getting somewhere.
Let's assume that Caesar DID NOT cross the Rubicon, with all that entails:

What changes? No Caesar, no Roman Empire, no institution of Roman Law world-wide, no... [feel free to keep going...]

Now let's assume that Jesus was NOT resurrected...
No salvation (can't demonstrate), no Lazarus (no records), no healed lepers (no records), empty tomb, (eureka! - hey wait a minute). I think I can show that vampires would not be repelled by the cross... but that's where it ends...

In short... well, why don't you tell us...

Savant

Post #38

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: See this link for some possibilities:

Basically: boats, rollers (logs), and a lot of manual labor. Easy? No. Possible? Yes.
Thank you. That points out well that even if something may look impossible, it is not necessary impossible. Same is with resurrection, if one doesn’t know how it is done, or has not seen it happen, it doesn’t mean it is impossible.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #39

Post by rikuoamero »

But that’s not the claim. The claim is that Caesar crossed the Rubicon with an army in violation of Roman law thereby making him and his entire army traitors.
There are hundreds of examples of people and groups of people acting as traitors, or violating the law (whatever the law may be at the time and place).
The penalty for which was death.
Has no-one at all, in your mind, ever done something that had death as a punishment?

Besides, as I've already explained, Caesar moved to and did indeed, seize power in Rome. His moving across the Rubicon being illegal became a moot point, because who would put him on trial, after he's been declared dictator for life?
What you haven’t done, or don’t seem able to do, is find a case contextually analogous to Caesar that builds plausibility for Cesar’s crossing.
Already done. Or are you going to argue that the many cases I can link to of people violating laws that have the death penalty don't count?
That is after all what you argue the resurrection doesn’t have thereby making the evidence for the resurrection inferior.
Yup. What you link to in the Lazarus effect thing is not at all like what we read in the Bible.
But you are doing the same thing. You want a known contextually analogous case to Jesus with a three day dead person returning to life to establish plausibility for Jesus.
Because this is something that is down to physical law, not legal laws as what we've been arguing with Caesar. There's nothing strange about Caesar violating a Roman law that warrants the death penalty, especially if he thought he could get away with it.
I’m asking where is the known contextually analogous case in regards to Caesar’s crossing. You implied you had one.
We have examples of people crossing rivers, even of Caesar and his own army when they marched north.
We have examples of people violating laws that warrant the death penalty.
Pompey and Crassus led armies in Italia at the request of Rome to put down slave rebellion under Spartacus. They eventually disbanded their armies according to Appian.
The physical movement of these people from Point A to Point B IS analogous to Caesar.
you are appealing to the same late, second hand, biased, contradictory, and anonymous texts that we get our information for Caesar’s crossing.
Is that what you think we're relying on?
That would be like me appealing to the resurrection of Lazarus as a case example of a resurrection to establish plausibility for Jesus.
Except you'd have to establish plausibility for Lazarus. Unlike what I myself have put forth as examples like the Irish Easter Rising of 1916.
I gave you one. You provided no evidence he wasn’t dead.
Other than the doctors in the very pieces you link to worrying about pronouncements of death made in error? Did you ignore that?
So some coins were made. People make coins. Big deal.
The fact that you don't think much of physical artifacts is astounding.
Where are the coins depicting Caesar’s crossing of the Rubicon though?
Are you arguing that Caesar crossing the Rubicon is some weird thing that just cannot happen?
Go ahead and explain the disciples sincere belief Jesus rose from the dead.
Explain the signatures of early Mormons on documents where they swear they saw Joseph Smith handling magical golden plates.
Or explain L Ron Hubbard and his early disciples in Scientology.
Go ahead and explain their preaching the resurrection despite persecution and the threat of death.
Go ahead and explain the willingness of the Easter Rising combatants to sacrifice their lives for a cause they believed in.
Besides, if the early disciples actually believed in their own message, what do they have fear from a death penalty?
The fact that someone(s) is willing to do something that is likely to get them killed is not remarkable.
Go ahead and explain the conversion of Paul and James.
Is every person's conversion from one religion to another done under rational circumstances?
Also what about James? Do you mean James, the brother of Jesus? Don't you find it odd such a person didn't follow Jesus?
Go ahead and provide a better overall theory in scope and explanatory power than the resurrection.
The resurrection has no explanatory power. You need to substantiate your own theory, which you can't. This doesn't mean that the resurrection wins by default if literally no-one else can provide a counter-theory.
Still arguing in a circle. Of course the man was alive after being dead. That’s what makes it a resurrection. Duh.
Look at what you are doing. You are reducing what counts as a resurrection in your eyes.
In the Bible, resurrections are something that happen to clearly dead people, often after multiple days.
Now, you're linking to medical cases where medical personnel are performing CPR for long periods of time, and the people in question have their circulation starting just a few minutes after CPR is ended. Also, as your own citations say, not all these people survive. Some of them end up with injuries, or die soon after anyway.
Not just someone. A surgeon and anesthesiologist.
And in what you cite, we are told that doctors are worrying about pronouncements of death made in error.
Your argument makes it out like medical practitioners just cannot be wrong about pronouncing a person dead.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #40

Post by DanieltheDragon »

1213 wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: See this link for some possibilities:

Thank you. That points out well that even if something may look impossible, it is not necessary impossible. Same is with resurrection, if one doesn’t know how it is done, or has not seen it happen, it doesn’t mean it is impossible.
It's possible that leprechauns can cure cancer. Certainly stretches credulity but it's still possible. Do you believe anything because it's possible or do you filter out certain things?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.