Plausibility: a Test

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Plausibility: a Test

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

Another look at the term “plausibility�.

I am still not convinced that the term “plausible� means anything more in the mouths of atheists here than “I don’t believe in miracles.� Let’s try a test.

Which is a more plausible explanation for the origins of Christianity?

1) The Christian explanation entailing a deity that intervenes…

2) Aliens from a distant galaxy that supported life eons longer than our own and who therefore had the benefit of time to progress farther in technology than we have, took the corpse of Jesus (for their own purposes) and, using advanced technology (think Men in Black) brainwashed the disciples into thinking they had actually seen Jesus alive and well.

The first involves a supernatural God; the second is purely natural.

Three Questions:

Is the second more plausible than the first solely on the grounds that it is natural?

If so, does that superior plausibility by itself render the supernatural explanation absurd? I mean, has the comparison settled the question once and for all, "Slam Dunk for non-Christians!"?

If no to either, what is lacking in the natural explanation?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #21

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 5 by alexxcJRO]

:warning: Moderator Warning

This post is full of accusations and insults and definitely DOES require moderator intervention. Please keep these thoughts to yourself and avoid personal attacks on other members.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Plausibility: a Test

Post #22

Post by OnceConvinced »

liamconnor wrote: Another look at the term “plausibility�.

I am still not convinced that the term “plausible� means anything more in the mouths of atheists here than “I don’t believe in miracles.� Let’s try a test.

2) Aliens from a distant galaxy that supported life eons longer than our own and who therefore had the benefit of time to progress farther in technology than we have, took the corpse of Jesus (for their own purposes) and, using advanced technology (think Men in Black) brainwashed the disciples into thinking they had actually seen Jesus alive and well.
Why only the two? The most plausible explanation for me is that a group of people wanted to impose their will on other humans. They wanted power and money so started up their own religion and conned a lot of people to do it.

In fact I think 2 is almost as ridiculous as 1. Number 2 should actually be the explanation I have just given, not the alien argument

So

2) Men making up a religion to gain power, money and fame.

In which case 2 makes way more sense.

If we are only limited to those 2 options you have given... well as I said, both seem utterly ludicrous to me, but I'm more likely to go with Aliens than gods. However I would never really entertain aliens as the cause without any real evidence. I'm seeing as much evidence for aliens as I am for gods. ie, nothing convincing.
liamconnor wrote: Is the second more plausible than the first solely on the grounds that it is natural?
Of course yes. All through my life I have seen no real evidence of the supernatural. In fact what I used to believe was supernatural has been proven to have natural causes. There seem to be natural causes for everything so I don't see why I should entertain any claims of the supernatural at all.

There are things that are still a struggle to explain naturally, but the god of the gaps is shrinking every day so I don't see why that trend won't continue and as we learn more, be able to come up with explanations for these things.
liamconnor wrote:
If so, does that superior plausibility by itself render the supernatural explanation absurd?
No, the supernatural explanation is absurd because it IS absurd. Magic, miracles and anything like that as far as I have seen are either tricks or as a result of natural causes.
liamconnor wrote: I mean, has the comparison settled the question once and for all, "Slam Dunk for non-Christians!"?
I just see no good reason to entertain thoughts of magic as a cause for anything. Not when magic is being ruled out more and more as we as humans learn more.
liamconnor wrote: If no to either, what is lacking in the natural explanation?
If we are talking about your natural explanation, ie aliens, I see it as lacking any real evidence, exactly the same as the god theory. I see it on the reality scale as a 2, whereas the god idea ranks as a 1. (10 being realistic) There are many other possible explanations that would rank up there as a 9 or a 10, but of course your strawman does not allow for those.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #23

Post by DanieltheDragon »

liamconnor wrote: Another look at the term “plausibility�.

The first involves a supernatural God; the second is purely natural.

Three Questions:

Is the second more plausible than the first solely on the grounds that it is natural?

If so, does that superior plausibility by itself render the supernatural explanation absurd? I mean, has the comparison settled the question once and for all, "Slam Dunk for non-Christians!"?

If no to either, what is lacking in the natural explanation?
To examine the plausibility of both statements. Let's examine if either are even possible.

1. Is ressurection shown to be possible after cell death? No.
If ressurection after cell death what is the possibility of Jesus being resurrected? None

2. Is life shown to exist in the universe? Yes
Is it possible life exists in the universe outside of earth? Yes
If life exists outside of earth is your scenario possible? Yes

Both scenarios are absurdly unrealistic. I would not argue in favor of either. As while the second scenario is technically possible, it is entirely unrealistic. Both are baaaaaaad terrible positions to take on the matter from a logical perspective.

The interesting thing is you avoid a reasonable naturalistic explanation for the whole thing, in favor of an absurd unrealistic explanation in order to prop up the supernatural. Even though it fails at doing that.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #24

Post by OnceConvinced »

liamconnor wrote: Peter lied?
Peter is a known liar. In fact one of the most famous liars in the world. He denied knowing the son of God 3 times. Would you ever do that?

If he was willing to deny knowing Jesus, then why wouldn't he lie about other things?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #25

Post by Divine Insight »

liamconnor wrote: So you have no problem with Jesus being resurrected by a God, just not God as he is described in the Bible?
That's right. Although I see absolutely no reason for any other God to be bothered resurrecting Jesus either. There's simply no sane or intelligent reason to do this.
liamconnor wrote: In other words, your problem is with the Bible, not Christianity; for Christianity existed before the N.T. was written?
It is my position that Christianity is 100% dependent upon the O.T. There's simply no way to get around that one. In fact, you'd need to toss out a great deal of what is said in the N.T. if you want to try to disassociate Jesus from the O.T.

What you don't seem to realize is that I was on my way to becoming a Christian Pastor. So I was looking for any possible way to "save Jesus". If Jesus could have been made as a stand-alone religion that would have been great. But that, my friend, is impossible.

In fact, I always say that Jesus was crucified twice. Once when he was physically nailed to the cross. A second time when the authors of the N.T. metaphorically nailed him to the O.T. as the sacrificial Son of Yahweh.

Jesus is nailed to the O.T. far more permanently that he was ever nailed to a cross.

There simply is no way to make a stand-alone religion out of Jesus. That cannot be made to work. If you think it can more power to you, but I am certain that you will never convince me of that because I know better.
liamconnor wrote: If that is your position, you are not my opponent on this forum.
If you claim that Jesus is something other than the prophesied Son of Yahweh who was intentionally sent to earth on a mission that Yahweh himself had orchestrated, then you have created a BRAND NEW RELIGION that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Christianity.

So why even bother calling it "Christianity" or even pretending that you could associate it with "Christianity" in any way?

Christianity is a religion that is based on BOTH the O.T. and the N.T. and there's no way to free Jesus from a dependency upon the O.T. anyway. So even if you wanted to try to create a "Free Jesus" you couldn't do it.

So now at least I see your problem. You seem to think that you can create a religoin from Jesus and toss out the O.T. as having nothing to do with it, and claim that this resulting religion is still "Christianity".

I'm sure there are a lot of "Jesus Freaks" who would love nothing more than to do just that. But it's simply not feasible. Jesus cannot be made into a stand-alone religion.

Jesus has been nailed to the O.T. by the authors of the N.T. Gospels far too heavily. There's simply no way to reverse that now. You'd need to go back and rewrite the Gospels from scratch. In fact, it would end up being a whole different story necessarily so if you plan on detaching it from the O.T.

So if that's your hope I can tell you right now that's never going to fly.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 25 by Divine Insight]

Sounds like your epistemology (at least in regards the bible) is highly emotional: "the ot don't sit comfortably with me, therefore there can be no deity behind it and therefore Jesus wasn't raised."

Is that a fair assessment?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 23 by DanieltheDragon]

1. Is ressurection shown to be possible after cell death? No.
If ressurection after cell death what is the possibility of Jesus being resurrected? None
So you have evidence that if there were a God, still, he could not reverse the processes of decay...?

Fascinating.
2. Is life shown to exist in the universe? Yes
Is it possible life exists in the universe outside of earth? Yes
If life exists outside of earth is your scenario possible? Yes

Both scenarios are absurdly unrealistic.

Not sure how you moved from three 'yeses' to a condemnation.

I would not argue in favor of either. As while the second scenario is technically possible, it is entirely unrealistic. Both are baaaaaaad terrible positions to take on the matter from a logical perspective.
so you admit that just because a theory is strictly natural, it does not therefore trump a supernatural theory on those grounds?

The interesting thing is you avoid a reasonable naturalistic explanation for the whole thing, in favor of an absurd unrealistic explanation in order to prop up the supernatural. Even though it fails at doing that.
The interesting thing is how very few have actually kept to the OP. This OP is not about arguing for the resurrection or even Jesus. It is about finding out what atheists here think "plausible" means and whether "natural" always means "plausible" when contrasted with "supernatural".

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 24 by OnceConvinced]

So you are willing to define and support a detailed theory explaining how Peter orchestrated one of the greatest conspiracies in recorded history?

I am eager to read this defense!

Could you please create a separate OP for it?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 27 by liamconnor]
So you have evidence that if there were a God, still, he could not reverse the processes of decay...?
Do you have positive evidence of this God, are you able to show that he actually is capable of reversing cell decay, other than by declaring that you are able to imagine a being who is able to do so, and what do ya know! here's a story where the reversal of cell decay happened!
Burden of proof.
so you admit that just because a theory is strictly natural, it does not therefore trump a supernatural theory on those grounds?
Not what Daniel said. The supernatural theory by definition is ALWAYS less likely, because it cannot be shown to be true.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #30

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 28 by liamconnor]
So you are willing to define and support a detailed theory explaining how Peter orchestrated one of the greatest conspiracies in recorded history?
Still waiting for you to define and support a detailed theory about how exactly Jesus was resurrected, with something more than "[strike]God[/strike]A wizard did it". As in, I want a detailed explanation, on par with what I'd expect to get if I asked an astronomer for a detailed explanation of how stellar fusion works.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense