Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Granted

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Granted

1) A wandering preacher (named something other than Jesus) lived 2000 years ago, preached for a few years, ran afoul of Roman and Jewish authorities, and was executed.

2) Some claim that, contrary to common practice of the era, the executed criminal's body was placed in a tomb.

3) Some claim that a few days later the tomb was found to be empty.

4) Some conclude / assert / insist that an empty tomb means the deceased came back to life and left.

5) Some claim that people saw the deceased alive after death.

6) Some maintain that the above indicates the deceased was 'divine' or 'the son of God'.

Are the above sound observations / conclusions that can be shown to be true and accurate descriptions of actual events that occurred in the real world?

Are the above sound basis for establishing a new religion?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Re: Granted

Post #21

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by chriss]

Obviously we are talking past each other, because I have no idea what you are talking about.
If I wanted to disparage Christianity, I'd call your attention to the fact that the majority of the Christian world worships Deus, and Deus is identical to Zeus (Dyeus).
Or that Jove and Yahweh are pronounced identically, and Elohim is the God of the Hebrew.
Click the link in the tag-line.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight