Benefit of the Doubt or Prejudice?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Benefit of the Doubt or Prejudice?

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

The N.T. is scrutinized for contradictions or even discrepancies, and it could be suggested that even a single one is solid grounds for dismissing the entire collection of documents.

Can the same be said for members here?

Here is an exchange between me and another member:

From Him:
Quote:
Doubt is a respectable position. Moreover, from what I've seen EVERYONE who has doubted your claims
Note the italics. No specific claim is mentioned, and the noun is plural.

I then responded
Please provide proof of your claim (links to EVERYONE who has doubted all of my claims, and offered counter EXPLANATIONS for all of them).

To which he responded:
Quote:
To begin with nowhere did I ever say that anyone had doubted all of your claims. The ONLY claim I was talking about is your claim that no one ever gives rational explanations when they do doubt your claims.
We see that such a person has shifted from an indefinite plural to a definite singular.

If such a discrepancy occurred in the Pauline corpus (the contents of which were written over several years) what should we make of it?

What should we make of the discrepancy here, which occurred within a day?

Should we "read to understand" the member's discrepancy? Should we read to understand authors of the N.T.?

Should we dismiss everything the member has ever said on this forum? Should we dismiss everything ever written by Paul?

Note, "everything written by Paul" does not mean "supernatural", since he wrote of things that were not supernatural. Note: "Beliefs" are not supernatural. IF Paul believed that there were some 500 people who themselves said they believed they saw the risen Jesus, none of this is supernatural. There was a member here (Danmark, I believe, but only the records can show) who once relayed an experience he had on a boat where 'Jesus' 'appeared' to him and told him he was not god. Assuming this member was not lying, most here can assess that though this member did not have an objective encounter with Jesus, still, he had a sensory perception of a figure which he identified as Jesus.

Please provide reasons for your judgments:

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Benefit of the Doubt or Prejudice?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

liamconnor wrote: We see that such a person has shifted from an indefinite plural to a definite singular.
Hardly. Because you have made multiple claims that multiple people have no provided rational doubt to your supernatural scenarios. Therefore it's still plural even though it refer solely to your multiple accusations against others. Multiple accusations (or claims that people aren't responding to you rationally) are still multiple claims of a singular nature. Although in ever individual case all these different members have offered multiple rational alternatives to your theological demands.

And you even continually refuse to confess that your demands are indeed theologically based and NOT historically based. There is no rational historical reason to believe that a person was supernaturally resurrected from the dead, when the perfectly secular explanation that the person never fully died in the first place is far more rational.

So if your arguments are so extremely feeble that you need to nit-pick with an accusation like this against me I would say that your theological arguments are in serious trouble. Clearly you can't make a rational case for them or you wouldn't need to resort to such absurdities.

liamconnor wrote: If such a discrepancy occurred in the Pauline corpus (the contents of which were written over several years) what should we make of it?
There are extreme discrepancies in the writings attributed to Paul, especially if you are willing to compare them with the Gospels that claim to speak for Jesus. Paul contradicts the teachings attribute to Jesus big time.
liamconnor wrote: What should we make of the discrepancy here, which occurred within a day?
To begin with no such discrepancies occurred here. That's your own created fallacy.
liamconnor wrote: Should we "read to understand" the member's discrepancy? Should we read to understand authors of the N.T.?
In this case people can just ASK the author of the posts that YOU CLAIM contain discrepancies and the author of that post can clarify where YOU WERE WRONG IN YOU CLAIM.

Being that Paul is long since dead it would be quite difficult to ask him to explain his discrepancies now.
liamconnor wrote: Should we dismiss everything the member has ever said on this forum? Should we dismiss everything ever written by Paul?
Non-sequitur. You can ASK a live poster for clarification. You can't talk to a dead Paul.
liamconnor wrote: Note, "everything written by Paul" does not mean "supernatural", since he wrote of things that were not supernatural. Note: "Beliefs" are not supernatural. IF Paul believed that there were some 500 people who themselves said they believed they saw the risen Jesus, none of this is supernatural. There was a member here (Danmark, I believe, but only the records can show) who once relayed an experience he had on a boat where 'Jesus' 'appeared' to him and told him he was not god. Assuming this member was not lying, most here can assess that though this member did not have an objective encounter with Jesus, still, he had a sensory perception of a figure which he identified as Jesus.

So how did Paul become the superstar of this religion? Why couldn't Jesus have made things crystal clear himself?

Why should Jesus need to lean on Paul to correct the misunderstanding that Jesus taught? :-k

Also, why didn't Jesus predict the coming of Paul? To the contrary Jesus not only did not mention Paul at all, but Jesus actually stated that false prophets would come and preach in his name. So if anything we should suspect that Paul is a false prophet if we take Jesus at HIS WORD.

This whole religious paradigm has extreme self-contradictory problems.

Yet, you claim to be looking at this entirely from a "Historical Perspective". But that is clearly a false claim on your behalf.

You are CLEARLY attempting to push a Christian Theological Paradigm here. There can be no doubt about that in the mind of any alert reader of your posts.

So I question the validity of your claims to be solely approaching this from a historical perspective and NOT a theological perspective.

You seem to totally reject any and ALL secular explanations. No matter how rational they clearly are.

So I call you out on your claim to be interested in the historical perspective of these ancient tales.

As far as I can see the ONLY perspective you are even remotely interested in considering is the theological perspective.

And you flat out reject every rational secular historical explanation. Period. Without exception.

So how dare you try to attack me in a thread based on some superficial nonsense about plural versus singular claims that you have made. When you are clearly misrepresenting your entire agenda.

This is an all-time low on these forums if I've ever seen one.

Clearly you can't make any case for your arguments if you need to stoop to this tactic.

If your arguments can't stand on their own two feet, than attacking other members in all these ridiculous superficial ways isn't going to help your arguments at all.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

Yup, upon scrutinizing the NT, I can't find a single reasonable thing to believe.
There isn't even a record of Lazarus, a man back from the dead outside the thing.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

liamconnor wrote: Can the same be said for members here?
A clear sign debate has been lost. Start attacking debate opponents instead of focusing on actual debate topics.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #5

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]
The N.T. is scrutinized for contradictions or even discrepancies, and it could be suggested that even a single one is solid grounds for dismissing the entire collection of documents.

Can the same be said for members here?
No because, any argument favoring the bible as accurate,truthful, etc. tacitly invokes God as an influencer or author. Therefore it cannot have even the slightest of mistakes.

People are known to make mistakes ergo we cannot be held to the same standard of a god.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

liamconnor wrote: If such a discrepancy occurred in the Pauline corpus (the contents of which were written over several years) what should we make of it?
We should treat it as solid grounds for dismissing the entire collection of documents as divine.
What should we make of the discrepancy here, which occurred within a day?
As simple mistake that has zero consequence.
Should we "read to understand" the member's discrepancy?
Yes.
Should we read to understand authors of the N.T.?
Yes.
Should we dismiss everything the member has ever said on this forum?
No.
Should we dismiss everything ever written by Paul?
No.
Pass. Seems to me like my answers are straight forward enough. Ask for specifics.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

liamconnor wrote:The N.T. is scrutinized for contradictions or even discrepancies, and it could be suggested that even a single one is solid grounds for dismissing the entire collection of documents.
A single discrepancy would be grounds to dismiss the claim that they were God breathed.
liamconnor wrote:Can the same be said for members here
Yes. Any member who claims to be receiving communications directly from God will be held to a very high standard.

liamconnor wrote:Here is an exchange between me and another member:
[…]
I would agree that this member is not inspired by God. He may also be engaging in a figure of speech known as hyperbole, as Paul does at times.
liamconnor wrote:Should we read to understand authors of the N.T.?
Yes.
liamconnor wrote:Should we dismiss everything ever written by Paul?
No. I'm reasonably sure that he did visit Tyre even though it had been destroyed permanently in Ezekiel's time.
liamconnor wrote:IF Paul believed that there were some 500 people who themselves said they believed they saw the risen Jesus, none of this is supernatural.
He is using this to back up a supernatural claim.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #8

Post by Kenisaw »

liamconnor wrote:
IF Paul believed that there were some 500 people who themselves said they believed they saw the risen Jesus, none of this is supernatural.
What part of "risen Jesus" is not supernatural?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 6 by Bust Nak]
We should treat it as solid grounds for dismissing the entire collection of documents as divine.
Let's expand on this shall we?
We (meaning those of us who examine the Bible) would expect a God-dictated or God-inspired work to be inerrant, without error, true (meaning reflective of reality) in every measure. God is supposedly beyond us in terms of knowledge and wisdom, and supposedly loves us, so would only give us the Truth (tm).

However, if we examine the works of Paul and find there is an actual error, well then...we cannot treat it as divine.
This means it gets bumped down in status to the work of a mortal man, just like any and all other documents.
This means if Paul says Jesus rose, we can't accept a claim like that simply because Paul says so. We need to refer to what science tells us is possible. Science informs us that bodies do not get up three days after dying (and indeed, the theologians on this site are all too willing to say Jesus rising was not something natural but supernatural).
Why should we, as historians, give a pass to Paul's theology, and not to anyone else's theology?
If I examine historically Mormonism, I don't say Joseph Smith did indeed meet angels.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

Kenisaw wrote:
liamconnor wrote:
IF Paul believed that there were some 500 people who themselves said they believed they saw the risen Jesus, none of this is supernatural.
What part of "risen Jesus" is not supernatural?
If I'm reading liam correctly there, then there is indeed nothing supernatural in 500 people who believe they saw a risen Jesus.
A risen Jesus would be supernatural, but the belief of it? Nope.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense