Jesus and the Ten Commandments

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Jesus and the Ten Commandments

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So team, I think we all agree that the Ten Commandment are God's most cardinal unbreakable laws.

As God's son and a piece of him - whatever anyone may say, violating those commandments should be impossible - if he were real, I am sure we all agree.

So, let's see how many of them Jesus advocates breaking?

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.
and what it means.

Willum
Savant

Re: Jesus and the Ten Commandments

Post #81

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 80 by bluethread]

Like I said, when you find yourself stuck in a hole, the best idea is to stop digging.
Rejoining with non-sense just demonstrates how fragile your position is.

Give it up. Jesus is a fiction, as demonstrated. Irrelevant quotes can not shore up what has been proven.

bluethread
Savant

Post #82

Post by bluethread »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 80 by bluethread]

Like I said, when you find yourself stuck in a hole, the best idea is to stop digging.
Rejoining with non-sense just demonstrates how fragile your position is.

Give it up. Jesus is a fiction, as demonstrated. Irrelevant quotes can not shore up what has been proven.
Whether Yeshua is fictional or not, what has been proven is that the actions of the character in the account are consistent with what Moshe' commanded. There is no conflict between those actions and the commandments.

Willum
Savant

Post #83

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 82 by bluethread]

Except what you are saying doesn't make any sense.
Denial is not a rational response.

There is perfect conflict between Jesus invoking a graven idol (coins declaring the divinity of Caesar) to pay tribute to that same god.

Sorry, this demonstrates complete fraudulence of the construct that is Jesus.

Irrational arguments aside, there is no other way around.

Willum
Savant

Post #84

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 83 by Willum]

1. So we have Jesus advocating against punishment for "You shall not commit adultery."
(Actually we determined that the story was fiction - too many inconsistencies.)
2. We have established that if the "You shall not make idols"/"graven image" Commandment rule is true, Catholics and many other Christians having the crucifix are going to Hell, regardless of piousness.
3. Also under graven images - we have Jesus advocating worship of the god Caesar by rending to him his tribute: Those graven images of him proclaiming god hood.
4. We also have some disrespect for "Honor thy father and thy mother."
5. We have shown he advocated putting the Caesars above Yahweh.

That is quite enough to say that though a good person, he was not an real Jewish saviour.

Are there any other commandment violations?

Willum
Savant

Post #85

Post by Willum »

It occurred to me on another thread, that Jesus has no right to object to adultery: After all Yahweh seduced the virgin Mary, wife of Joseph to conceive him.

He was born of an unholy union himself, when his magical father seduced his mother who was married to another.

Ah, well.

Sword007
Student

Post #86

Post by Sword007 »

Willum wrote: It occurred to me on another thread, that Jesus has no right to object to adultery: After all Yahweh seduced the virgin Mary, wife of Joseph to conceive him.

He was born of an unholy union himself, when his magical father seduced his mother who was married to another.

Ah, well.
This shows you do not understand the Scriptures. Nor the things of God.

Willum
Savant

Post #87

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 86 by Sword007]

So explain to me how it wasn't a rakish sin, as foul as what Zeus pulled. Explain how Yahweh seduced a married virgin and it didn't violate the commandments? He could have selected an unmarried virgin, right? Or anyone, right?
Because to me, your religion is just falling apart at the seems.

I am very open minded, and listening.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Sword007
Student

Post #88

Post by Sword007 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 86 by Sword007]

So explain to me how it wasn't a rakish sin, as foul as what Zeus pulled. Explain how Yahweh seduced a married virgin and it didn't violate the commandments? He could have selected an unmarried virgin, right? Or anyone, right?
Because to me, your religion is just falling apart at the seems.

I am very open minded, and listening.
No amount of explaining will convince one who already has his mind made up. An unbeliever does not have "eyes to see."

Willum
Savant

Post #89

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 88 by Sword007]

I am listening. Explain to me.
I am willing to suspend my disbelief long enough to understand.

How did Yahweh not commit adultery with Joseph's innocent, virgin wife? I am thinking it is yourself who doesn't understand scripture. It seems plain to me.

Show me I am wrong save my soul.

marco
Savant

Post #90

Post by marco »

Willum wrote:

How did Yahweh not commit adultery with Joseph's innocent, virgin wife?
I think you make an excellent point even though you may be speaking a little mischievously. It will be protested that God did not violate Mary's virginity and the mystical manner of Christ's creation was a pure act of God.

But taking a neutral view, it is EXACTLY the format used in tales of Zeus who did seduce in a variety of mysterious ways. I had used for decades the word Jove or Iove, the vocative of Jupiter, without ever associating the name with Yahweh, but you are right; the sounds are the same since the Romans did pronounce v as we pronounce w. Thus Christ's incarnation may simply be a borrowing from Greek and Roman (or older) myths. And this seems likely since Matthew is obviously speaking in poetical rather than literal terms when he sings of angels and wandering stars.