Can "God die"?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Can "God die"?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Preacher said, "God died for your sins".

For the purposes of this forum, the OP is assuming for the sake of argument that God exists.

For debate, can God die?

Even for three days?

Doesn't that statement deny God's characteristic immortality?

And don't such statements highlight the absurdity of believing that "Jesus is God"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Willum
Savant

Post #21

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by Revelations won]

Measurement.
Now, it is possible to measure zero.

It is also possible to show zero miracles.
However, I have posited zero, all you have to do is show God is still active by something we can both measure, it doesn't even need to be objective, just supportive.

For example, the pretty well established miracle of Ganesh drinking milk, does not support your cause.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Willum
Savant

Post #22

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by Revelations won]

PS - Hindsight being what it is, all you have to do is show God (Yahweh) is not dead, and you win the argument.

William
Savant

Re: Can "God die"?

Post #23

Post by William »

Elijah John wrote: Preacher said, "God died for your sins".

For the purposes of this forum, the OP is assuming for the sake of argument that God exists.

For debate, can God die?

Even for three days?

Doesn't that statement deny God's characteristic immortality?

And don't such statements highlight the absurdity of believing that "Jesus is God"?

My own belief on the subject is that GOD=Consciousness and that Consciousness has always existed and cannot die/cease to exist. The nature of consciousness is eternal.

What can happen though, is that death can be simulated as an experience to go through. It cannot be experienced as an actual fact... as a continuous state of non-being. It is experienced through interaction with simulated form (things) - which are designed for the experience.

In our case, we are experiencing a type of vast prison - so vast that it does not give the impression of even being a prison - and it is a life sentence which ends in a death sentence and from there, proceeds to another type of experience.

We are particles of consciousness (GOD) which have lost their way through the process of experiencing simulations designed for that purpose - to explore and experience unhindered by the knowledge that we are the one(s) who created the simulation(s) we experience.

So - GOD cannot die, but aspects of GOD-Consciousness can be made to forget themselves through simulations which promote the amnesia and disperse those aspects of GC into the simulations.

marco
Savant

Post #24

Post by marco »

William wrote:

So - GOD cannot die, but aspects of GOD-Cconsciousness can be made to forget themselves through simulations which promote the amnesia and disperse those aspects of GC into the simulations.
The problem with any hypothesis about God is we cannot nullify or verify it. We can sit back and nod admiringly, if we wish.

So we may indeed be like hair follicles on the face of the Almighty and he sheds them without the least inconvenience to himself. In a trivial way, part of him "dies" or is shed, but God goes on and on. This theory is like beating our backs with a lash to punish our worthlessness.

Perhaps it is best to emphasise MAN, and through human achievement, cast a pale light on anything beyond him. We believe in ourselves and so we demonstrate God, for what it's worth.

Willum
Savant

Post #25

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 24 by marco]

The problem with any hypothesis about God is we cannot nullify or verify it. We can sit back and nod admiringly, if we wish.
This is a great little observation - but wouldn't I (everyone) be safe to generalize such a premise, into a family of such premises? and thus dismiss them out of hand?

For example believing every atom has consciousness, vice believing every planet has a consciousness, vise every star is a powerful god, and so on.

Looking at it that way with no proof either way, can't one safely dismiss them out-of-hand?

marco
Savant

Post #26

Post by marco »

Willum wrote:

This is a great little observation - but wouldn't I (everyone) be safe to generalize such a premise, into a family of such premises? and thus dismiss them out of hand?

For example believing every atom has consciousness, vice believing every planet has a consciousness, vise every star is a powerful god, and so on.

Looking at it that way with no proof either way, can't one safely dismiss them out-of-hand?

Or one can accept with Tertullian credulity. As for every atom having consciousness I wouldn't dismiss the idea. Something of memory may reside in a piece of marble that received Caesar's wounded body. That I was somehow in existence in 44BC when the great man died is as wonderful to me as the claim that tigers will tend lambs in a future Earth or that Jesus will float on a piece of cumulus to announce his return. We already have miracles and mysteries without bothering God about others.

It may be that nothing dies, not even Caesar. I'd like to believe so.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #27

Post by JP Cusick »

Jesus was the son and not the Father God.

Jesus is the one who got crucified - not the Father.

So Jesus died and rose again.

The Father God did not die and does not die.

Just for the record - if the Father were ever to sin then that sin would cause God to die, and that is why the Father can never sin, and God does not sin.

The same was similar for Jesus in that Jesus did not sin and that is why death could not hold Him, see Acts 2:24
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

JP Cusick wrote:

Just for the record - if the Father were ever to sin then that sin would cause God to die, and that is why the Father can never sin, and God does not sin.

The same was similar for Jesus in that Jesus did not sin and that is why death could not hold Him, see Acts 2:24
JP Cusic wrote: Just for the record - if the Father were ever to sin then that sin would cause God to die, and that is why the Father can never sin, and God does not sin.
Does God know that he is subject to your rules and proclamations? Just wondering.

But of course, if God does it then it cannot be considered a sin. Right?

Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

So God can order helpless woman and children and babies to be hacked to death with swords, and not be credited with committing a sin. Because He is God, He is sinless by decree, even when He commits acts that would otherwise be considered heinous. That's a very convenient get out of jail free card you've given God, isn't it?

Here's another thought. If God died, how would we know it? If God were completely and utterly quiescent for a very long extended period of time, could that be considered a clue that He is no longer actually there? Hey, in some societies impregnating virgins is considered a sin. Maybe that's why God forsook Jesus. God died because He sinned and was no longer there when Jesus called on Him.

Or, now here is something to think about, perhaps the reason these beliefs seem so outrageously foolish and sophomorically silly is because they really ARE outrageously foolish and sophomorically silly! And always have been.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #29

Post by JP Cusick »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Does God know that he is subject to your rules and proclamations? Just wondering.
The other way around.

I am one of those who are subject to God's rules and proclamations.
Tired of the Nonsense wrote: But of course, if God does it then it cannot be considered a sin. Right?
That is correct, and a wise person sticks to that.

So if you see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate.

That is a fundamental principle.
Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him,

[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women:

So God can order helpless woman and children and babies to be hacked to death with swords, and not be credited with committing a sin. Because He is God, He is sinless by decree, even when He commits acts that would otherwise be considered heinous. That's a very convenient get out of jail free card you've given God, isn't it?

What I reject is the double standard.

As like the USA is not viewed as evil or as sinning when we dropped incinerator bombs on Germany and dropped Atomic bombs on Japan and killed women and children with total disregard, and in fact we the USA are still doing the same kind of murder today in Syria and the middle east, so we are applying a double standard to God.

In the Bible it tells us that God kills people who are lost in their sins, they are hateful and cruel people and God puts an end to their misery, and so it can be viewed as mercy killing.

Plus the fact is that the Bible tells us that God intends to resurrect those same people and give them a second chance at salvation, see Matthew 10:15, and that is far more than what the USA is intending to do with our bombs.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

marco
Savant

Post #30

Post by marco »

JP Cusick wrote:

Can God die? Jesus is God. Ergo God can die. It is hard to see what point you are making.
In fact, you have overlooked the theology that enables Christians to accept that Jesus could die, namely that Jesus had two natures. His mortal human nature enabled him to taste death, on a temporary basis of course. It seems the height of absurdity that a being endowed with luxury talents would go through the pantomime of burial and revival.
JP Cusick wrote:
Well, if he wanted to he could, for let's say a calendar month. That might be the sequel to the Resurrection story. It is wonderful how people throw out statements about God's qualities.

JP Cusick wrote:
A nice theory.
JP Cusick wrote:

The same was similar for Jesus in that Jesus did not sin and that is why death could not hold Him
Ah, so you are denying the Resurrection - Jesus did NOT die for he did not sin and sin is the only thing that makes God die. Did Jesus simply close his eyes and pretend to be dead?