For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

If God exists then Infinity does not exist

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Does this make sense?

1) Infinity is that which has no end.
2) It is impossible to reach the end of something with no end.
3) God can do everything that is possible to do in existence.
4) If God can't do something, then that something does not actually exist, for if it did exist then God could do it.
5) God can not reach the end of infinity for infinity has no end.
6 conclusion) An actual infinity does not exist if God exists.

Consequence: Everything in existence must have a beginning (infinitely back in time does not exist) and end (infinitely forwad in time does not exist) if God exists. Since God would also be part of existence, He must have a beginning and an end as well.

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

That is a semantic problem, not a philosophical one. There is no inconsistency, infinity has no end. When one speaks of Adonai being "the beginning and the end" that is an idiom for without beginning or end.

jgh7

Post #3

Post by jgh7 »

I'm not sure I understand where the fault in my argument lies. Let me rephrase it this way.

1) God, being all powerful, has the ability to reach all times in existence.
2) It is impossible to reach all times in an infinite existence because it never ends.
3) Therefore, either God can't reach all times in existence or existence must have an end.

Which one of these 3 points is incorrect and why?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

jgh7 wrote: 2) It is impossible to reach all times in an infinite existence because it never ends.

Which one of these 3 points is incorrect and why?
Number 2 is false. It is a non sequitur. Time never ends does not imply it is impossible to reach all times.

marco
Savant

Re: If God exists then Infinity does not exist

Post #5

Post by marco »

jgh7 wrote:
Does this make sense?

Not really. You have defined infinity as having no end. You then go on to talk about the end of infinity, contradicting your definition. By definition, God does not reach the "end of infinity." It is not a question of potency; just one of defining terms.

eldios
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by eldios »

jgh7 wrote: Does this make sense?

4) If God can't do something, then that something does not actually exist, for if it did exist then God could do it.

Consequence: Everything in existence must have a beginning (infinitely back in time does not exist) and end (infinitely forwad in time does not exist) if God exists. Since God would also be part of existence, He must have a beginning and an end as well.
It all depends on what God is and how he was created. The Christian gods can't do anything because they are imaginary gods that form in their mind as they read their holy books.

The true God is not something that is real but it was created to convert stored thoughts into what we experience as life. It even has a voice.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #7

Post by JP Cusick »

jgh7 wrote: 6 conclusion) An actual infinity does not exist if God exists.

Since God would also be part of existence, He must have a beginning and an end as well.
Your number 6 is the correct conclusion - so says I.

There is no actual infinity - because God does exist.

The latter part above is mistaken in that God is not really a part of our existence, because we live in a created universe, and so our existence having both a beginning and an end does not include the Creator who created our existence.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

evilsorcerer1
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by evilsorcerer1 »

God doesn't make sense because blasphemous people (everyone alive or nearly everyone alive) invented him from their minds. Infinite doesn't make sense and shouldn't in the way it's perceived, that's called insanity.

Here's an explanation of god by me-

Jesus and the snake. Fictional ‘snakes,serpents, etc’ made up to place the blame for all of their own sins. Jesus = serpent. I like to do word meanings and if letters have a real  and singular meaning. Here’s my attempt with Jesus. God was supposedly the father or creator. G is the first letter of gas but seemed to be too rigid a sound to coincide with the substance. J may have been an attempt to reconnect people with the old testament god but who would be the Holy Spirit. So g to J to H. The new testament may have been written by someone assuming the old testament was written in code (with all those lmade up fairy tales who wouldn’t) and so wrote the entire NT under pen names believing it was a prophecy that the true sons of god would become extinct and the apocalypse would begin. I believe the event took place very early in history. But Jesus represented the last generation of the children of god. He was called the son of God because he was the last and only generation (supposedly), but was not a real person. So G and J are closely related letters, J being softer and more like a real gas, god being more like a solid, gold for instance. The e in jesus may point to Eden where a very similar sacrifice took place. And so is the first s? Satan, serpent, both were blamed for mens sins when men were responsible. Now the serpent/snake’s head is bruised by man’s heel which is war carried out by almost all humanity. In other word’s it’s just getting the tip of the spear compared of all the blood being spilled. The serpent also represent humanity, a closer idea of how many people were created during creation with 200-400 ribs. So the snake replaced the serpent in the future, it’s head being bruised instead of the serpent. The serpent was actually Adam who thought the snake had been removed from him (salvation). But Adam didn’t know that there is no devil or angels and that the true god is a spirit and the only spirit and blasphemy is wanting to be god, to “be a spirit�. The serpent continued to represent humanity. Total amount of bones in one man-appx amount of nationalities today. So the serpent is mankind and they war. Funny how the Jews Pharisees, old testament believers, or far i see people because they couldn’t remember their own garden of eden story. God walked with them in the garden and spoke with them and made them skins when they left. sus could also represent seas on  both side of something blocking their view of all people. Also zeus would make j-zeus, or a revised god. The u I don’t know but if J and soft letters represent gas, seas, ‘a’ letter would represent an idea, something non physical. The last letters ‘us’ may represent the followers of the Holy Spirit. But they are blasphemers. I believe Babylon was the beginning of time because languages were never split, people were created with nationalities. Babel, bible, bible, blasphemy. I think most religions believe that there were only two people to begin but only because there were no others around for so far.
Here's a philosophy I thought up;
Theory; We as people thought we were in one line but were in another. So we get to this place in life and believed were given a choice. Except I have a notion that we the choice we made was to believe we had already been created. What if the whole creation process hasn’t even begun. I really believe this is a valid argument. What if God the holy spirit was creation and while everything was about to be created no life had been. Because as God began to create the elements from nothing and the world and whatever would be we thought we were given a choice except we were just the elements which had no life. Also the idea of God always existing just doesn’t add up. People always say you can’t the understand but the problem is isn’t me not understanding it’s the idea itself. 1st if God knew everything he would give everyone the same amount of time to make a decision. Why do people say we live to 120 years? Because we had to explain why things around us were happening. But if we were an idea or elements that hadn’t even been given life yet and god knew the decision we would make why would he create us? For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believe that in him would not perish but have everlasting life. Here are some figures considered facts from Wikipedia; . . . . . . . . . . . The Sun is the star at the center of the Solar System. It is a nearly perfect sphere of hot plasma,[13][14] with internal convective motion that generates a magnetic field via a dynamo process.[15] It is by far the most important source of energy for life on Earth. Its diameter is about 109 times that of Earth, and its massis about 330,000 times that of Earth, accounting for about 99.86% of the total mass of the Solar System.[16] About three quarters of the Sun's mass consists of hydrogen (~73%); the rest is mostly helium(~25%), with much smaller quantities of heavier elements, including oxygen, carbon, neon, and iron.[17]People aren’t physical beings but the whole universe is our imaginations. The world hasn’t been created yet, but we have already blasphemed God which is a spirit by saying we have spirits which is a desire to be God which is wanting to defeat God which is evil because since God is a spirit and can only be a spirit. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Every finite thing that exists or will exist God knows the limits of their mind and the decisions they will make or have made. Because for example, if one person was good enough to be created and live for a zillion years while another for only good enough to live for 100 years whichever he cast in the lake of fire first would be cheated no matter what. And if there is a just god who knew this (and there could be no justice other than each one of his accursed creation being thrown simultaneously into the lake of fire.
This philosophy would explain a lot of questions and insanity other philosophies and religions have. One thing I think of is the first five years of my life that I don’t remember and a few spaces in between. Maybe those were spaces and times I spent trying to figure out what was going on or had to blank out because I couldn’t explain it. The 5 senses which are abilities to hear, see, feel, smell and taste
In this theory I think that there was no creation but that possibly the universe is being created. In other words the flood that Noah said happened, the miracles Moses and others not on said happened but believed had happened to them was because no one was left to witness it.
Some things I consider fact – it would be so easy for any person to say that when they touch their arm with their opposite hand and say they feel it. But it’d also be easy when you think about it to believe that it was easy to believe you had blasphemed and couldn’t know the truth if you actually felt your arm or if you had lied to yourself to explain things. Why did I provide my theory on this. I considered the ideas of this philosophy due to me realizing that the idea of a god that has existed forever and will exist forever and creates and destroys and once there was nothing but him and now there is everything else just didn’t seem plausible. Also I have a hard time accepting man has a soul because it seems man’s attempt from the beginning to want to be god and to overtake god. Believing one has a spirit is basically insane because what it means is it wants to be in control because there is only one true god (of course this is all theory because I like the rest of mankind has blasphemed and blasphemy isn’t just speaking evil towards god I think but also living in darkness due to a desire to be in charge or the necessity to have to try to be in charge out of a need to hold on to this life and escape the coming judgement.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #9

Post by rstrats »

Do all things have a cause?

evilsorcerer1
Banned
Banned

do all things have a cause?

Post #10

Post by evilsorcerer1 »

Yes, definitely..... either ones self or someone else. Here's something I just thought. . . If noah was going to preserve the animals lives wouldn't it be tough to go across the ocean and gather each species?