A civil debate forum for people of all persuasions (Atheists, Agnostics, Deists, Christians, and adherents of any religion)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Reply to topic
servant
First Post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:39 pm  Questions about the Earth Reply with quote

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 81: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am
Reply

Like this post
McCulloch wrote:

alexxcJRO wrote:
Earth is not a sphere. Earth is an oblate spheroid in a “pear kind of shape”.


The equatorial radius or the earth is 6378.1 km. The polar radius is 6356.8 km. If the earth was a perfect sphere, these distances would identical. As it is, the earth is slightly flattened at the pole and bulges out at the equator. But the difference is a mere 21.3 km (less than 14 miles). To put that into perspective, imagine that you have a basketball (75cm or 30in) and flatten the pole by 2.5mm or 1/8 in. It would still look spherical. The earth does not look pear shaped because it's variance from spherical is only 1/3%.



I was mostly talking about this image:


Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 82: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm
Reply

Like this post
alexxcJRO wrote:

McCulloch wrote:

alexxcJRO wrote:
Earth is not a sphere. Earth is an oblate spheroid in a “pear kind of shape”.


The equatorial radius or the earth is 6378.1 km. The polar radius is 6356.8 km. If the earth was a perfect sphere, these distances would identical. As it is, the earth is slightly flattened at the pole and bulges out at the equator. But the difference is a mere 21.3 km (less than 14 miles). To put that into perspective, imagine that you have a basketball (75cm or 30in) and flatten the pole by 2.5mm or 1/8 in. It would still look spherical. The earth does not look pear shaped because it's variance from spherical is only 1/3%.



I was mostly talking about this image:


Dude that's a geoid.. It is a measurement of gravity not shape.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 83: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm
Reply

Like this post
DanieltheDragon wrote:

alexxcJRO wrote:

McCulloch wrote:

alexxcJRO wrote:
Earth is not a sphere. Earth is an oblate spheroid in a “pear kind of shape”.


The equatorial radius or the earth is 6378.1 km. The polar radius is 6356.8 km. If the earth was a perfect sphere, these distances would identical. As it is, the earth is slightly flattened at the pole and bulges out at the equator. But the difference is a mere 21.3 km (less than 14 miles). To put that into perspective, imagine that you have a basketball (75cm or 30in) and flatten the pole by 2.5mm or 1/8 in. It would still look spherical. The earth does not look pear shaped because it's variance from spherical is only 1/3%.



I was mostly talking about this image:


Dude that's a geoid.. It is a measurement of gravity not shape.


I know man. I was referring to Earth without the water having a "pear liked shape". Cool
Maybe i should have specified it. I taught it was clear.
Like this:

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 84: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 83 by alexxcJRO]

That viral gif is just that a viral gif. And it is not actually the earth without water.

Here this sums it up better

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/09/22/earth_without_water_nope.htm...

Don't take chain emails and memes at face value!

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 85: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:55 pm
Reply

Like this post
DanieltheDragon wrote:

[Replying to post 83 by alexxcJRO]

That viral gif is just that a viral gif. And it is not actually the earth without water.

Here this sums it up better

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/09/22/earth_without_water_nope.htm...

Don't take chain emails and memes at face value!



I stand corrected. Wink
I hate it when I propagate nonsense. Confused
Sometimes I don’t have time to do a proper research. I rush into things and make mistakes.
How Earth really looks without water:


Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 86: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 pm
Reply
Re: Questions about the Earth

Like this post
DanieltheDragon wrote:

[Replying to post 73 by Trump]

Quote:

So why else do things get smaller with distance? Do you know trigonometry?


The resolution of an object decreases with distance giving the appearance that they are getting smaller. However with proper magnification you can increase the resolution.

Example:

To the naked eye Jupiter appears as a small dot of light. When magnification is applied via a telescope it appears much larger and we can make out the finer details.


Yes, we do get a better view, but nothing like this
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/Jupiter

especially the storms and cutaway views.

Here is a pretty good actual video of the moons of Jupiter, which are nothing but other stars. NASA can call them whatever they want, but truth is truth even if no one believes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1hNTuGbg0w

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 87: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 am
Reply
Re: Questions about the Earth

Like this post
DrNoGods wrote:

[Replying to post 70 by Trump]

Quote:
There is absolutely no evidence of either curvature, us spinning and twirling through the vacuum of space, (which would make the pendulum do all kinds of crazy things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZhmqKP27E ) all proof is against the sun being 92.96 million miles away, and so on. You are defending your belief, while I'm talking about what I have observed.


Let's see ... in one post you've claimed to be a JFK conspiracy theory supporter, believe that ISS is an aluminum foil mockup on a weather balloon, think that quantum mechanics and relativity are science fiction math invented for nefarious purposes, that the Earth does not spin on its axis every 24 hours so that a point on the equator is moving at roughly 1000 miles/hr (equatorial radius is 3963 miles so a more accurate number is 1040 MPH), that the sun is not 93 million miles away from Earth, and have nothing but YouTube references to support your ramblings.


YouTube? OK, so what is NASA's proof, you mean the little short video and a few initial pictures that they landed a rover on Mars? Here is what we Flat-Earthers have to say about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpdBSrANbb4

Quote:
Not very convincing to say the least! That you are dead wrong on all points is proven by real science and observation (save perhaps the JFK event, although none of the conspiracy theories have held any water to date). Fortunately, people with opinions like those you hold are yelling from the bottom of a very deep hole, and no one grounded in the real world of science is listening.


Yes, true, not many people are listening so far, but it is multiplying each day. Gods willing we may have it happening on this Forum in spite of your continuous discouragement. I understand though, religion is hard to give up, too many years have been spent agreeing, as in blind faith with our religious rulers. Like the Popes announcement that his universe was created by a Big-Bang. Finally, after 500 years, the globes put in all the classrooms is paying off, men are ready to accept their New creator. But they will have to accept him despite all the evidence contrary to those beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecm8jt3IWDA

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 88: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 am
Reply
Re: Questions about the Earth

Like this post
[Replying to post 86 by Trump]

Your right I don't have a satellite orbiting Jupiter so no I can't take those photos. But I can make out the red spot and count it's stripes. When observing Jupiter you have to track it because it is in motion orbiting the sun. So its position is changing relative to us more than just the earth rotation. Anyone who has spent time tracking and observing planets could figure that out. Why don't you take your telescope and actually use it for two months every night observing Jupiter. Then compare that to a star.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 89: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 am
Reply

Like this post
alexxcJRO wrote:

Trump wrote:

I'm sorry, but besides insulting me, are you making fun of me too? I complained about NASA artist rendering and CGI images of earth and the stars, and you tell me that's nonsense and then give me a computer generated image?


You said this: “Besides Neil Degrassee said the earth is really pear shaped, now how could all those space agencies you listed missed that? Show me ONE pic of earth as pear-shaped?”
I pointed out that Neil Degrassee was in fact right and in congruence with the scientific consensus.
Earth is not a sphere. Earth is an oblate spheroid in a “pear kind of shape”.


"Pear kind of shape" to which your gravity would shape the oceans to, but none of NASA's artist renderings, nor their CGI pictures show this? Why?

Quote:
Trump wrote:

“Yes sir, no doubt about this, I will try to remember that. But do you think that it would be presumptuous of me to ask NASA to spare some of that $200 billion for some actual photos of earth and Mars?
A Biblical Flat Earth proves a Creator, no need to spend $526.178 billion on CGI and artist rendered science fiction paintings of imaginary planets.
But taking God out of the picture for humanity, man becomes more lawless thinking rules no longer apply. “


Non-sequitur.

Q: Why would the form of the Earth prove a Creator? Eh?


With a flat earth, under a protective dome the Big Bang is just a science fiction fairytale. And since the Big Bang is the best that pseudoscience can do as far as an alternate creator, Bible-God for mankind would remain the sole Creator, just as He always was.

Quote:
I never hear of a Christian or other kind of a believer promoting this argument before.
The majority of the Christians and Christian churches believe in an earth being an oblate spheroid.
Even the most fundamentalists ones like the Young Earth Creationists believe the earth is not flat.
https://answersingenesis.org/astronomy/earth/is-the-earth-flat/


Christians.
The early Believers, those of "The Way" were first called Christians at Antioch, they did not call themselves Christians. The Christian Religion was created much later, about 350AD by the Catholic Church and the Roman Emperor Constantine who believed in and worshipped many gods, as did the Roman people.

These same Catholic Christians, or their Marines the Jesuits invented the Globe, which about 500 years ago placed in every school even in Ming China, or so I read from books and off the internet.

Jump to 2016, and here we have a Jesuit as a Pope, who announces the finale of a long dark symphony of the plan to rule over mans hearts, souls and minds and take over the position of the Most High.

Isaiah 14:13 
For you have said in your heart:
‘I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KVupdK_pBU

This is why you don't see Christians coming to the Biblical Flat Earth, they would be going against their faith, their religious teachings. (even though most of them don't even realize this, just as I didn't until about 8 months ago).

Quote:
Trump wrote:

“I don't know, but from what we can see through telescopes and powerful zoom lens cameras, not through the dome that's for sure.”


This is a positive claim.
Please provide evidence for this.


And of course I would have to resort to YouTube videos showing people videoing the rockets turning, and even crashing into the ocean, which you don't consider as evidence.

Quote:
Trump wrote:

“Because I have done my homework and am 100% convinced that the earth is flat, and in that satellite painting, the earth is depicted as round. Much more round than the computer generated image you gave me above. “


So you don’t have any evidence for your positive claim.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Here is a debate forum. Claims require evidence.

Here see the forum rules:
“Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim. “
https://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6


Yes, I understand. And in the manner of NASA, you took the authority to judge what is, and what is not considered evidence. read your and others responding to this OP.

NASA is the sole authority on space and space exploration in the whole world. And since space is fake, no real science is being dedicated towards it.

Quote:
Trump wrote:

“How long of an exposure did it take NASA to get stars to look like artist rendered planets with stars in the background like these here? “


You keep moving the goalpost. This is a logical fallacy:

Moving the Goalposts
Description: Demanding from an opponent that he or she address more and more points after the initial counter-argument has been satisfied refusing to conceded or accept the opponent’s argument.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/129/Moving_the_...


You satisfied your own argument, not mine.

Here is how I was welcomed to this topic:

*Can this forum ever graduate from being a cesspool for flat earthers?
*paranoid enough?
*When you believe everything is a conspiracy your are what's called "paranoid".
When you say the following: "So says NASA with the tongue of a snake over the S on their emblem." This is beyond paranoid and weird, borderline delusional
*You long ramblings are irrelevant just meant to muddle the waters and not bring any substantial contra-argument

Even though this is not moving the goal post, instead you set me up for failure before I even started.

So without any acceptable evidence from my side, and to stop my senseless ramblings, I'll make my next comments on this OP short. For now:

There is no curvature, many experiments prove this, but they are all on YouTube. I proved this with my own telescope, also I have flown around the world and never seen the curvature, which at 8" drop per mile would be very obvious just looking over a lake, especially over the oceans.

Your trig is flawed, you start with NASA's given height for the speed of the ISS
You have two people 370 miles apart who may work for NASA, or are supported by NASA claiming they just seen the ISS pass by them.

Because of the billions of dollars per month involved, and having the Pope himself behind this conspiracy, all you're making is claims, no different than NASA's artists rendering of the habitable planets they found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlidbLyDnPs

All I have is YouTube videos? So what does NASA provide, what has NASA ever provided besides pictures and videos like this entertainment video (which in the past I would watch endlessly, until my eyes were opened to our Flat Earth):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1RsvR7F78

Let's see NASA prove any of this is true besides the videos and pictures? Or the Mars Rover landing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpdBSrANbb4

I mean really, why make these videos if not to keep our imaginations occupied the same way they do our children with online Gaming?
Look at these CGI 3-d cartoons in this next video, no different than the ISS and other earth shots from supposed space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbPGh4yn6o

And you think throwing some trig at me of imaginary distances and heights you will verify that these images, videos are real? Habitable planets millions and billions of light years away pinpointed within the accuracy of walking distance? Now that's bold. But after having robbed us hundreds of billions of dollars over the past 50 years, why not?

Quote:
Trump wrote:

“How would you know that? Who set up the Pendulum, and who witnessed the building of its foundation? NASA has $10 billion dollars a year riding on the earth rotating. “


You can do the experiment yourself. Build yourself a pendulum.


Sure, one big enough that could qualify for a scientific experiment "for the rotation of the earth", or NASA certified, otherwise wouldn't qualify to debunk NASA. And let's not forget to take it around the world doing experiments on the way, you forget I, nor any flat earther I know get Billions of dollars a month to afford such a task.

Besides, the movements of the Foucault's Pendulum that they do have can be greatly effected by both the sun, and the moon passing over it, or by it.

Quote:
Trump wrote:

“People have done 24 hour gyroscope experiments close to the equator where the earth supposedly spins at 1,000mph and shown absolutely no movement.”


The Foucault pendulum does not precess at the equator.


I said the Gyroscope experiments did not show any movement of the earth. The Pendulum experiment has too many things that could effect its movements, we are surrounded by electromagnetism.

Quote:
Here a light read:
“At the north pole the apparent rotation would be a full circle of 360 degrees each 24-hour day, or about 15 degrees per hour. This case is fairly simple, because here the earth and the pendulum are not exerting much influence on each other. As you move off the north pole down to a more southerly point like Washington, for example, the earth not only rotates under the pendulum, but it carries Washington, the building, and the pendulum, in a great circle about its axis. That is, the motion of the earth is now mixed in a complicated way with the motion of the pendulum. As you can prove if you watch the pendulum for a while, the effect of this is to slow down the apparent rotation of the swing. Instead of seeming to rotate 15 degrees (about 1/24 of a full circle) in one hour, it only changes by about 9 degrees (about 1/40 of a full circle). The further south you go, the slower the apparent rotation gets, and at the equator there is no rotation at all. Below the equator the apparent rotation begins again, but in the opposite direction.”
https://www.si.edu/Encyclopedia_SI/nmah/pendulum.htm

[/quote]

I mentioned this before, your earth is not just spinning, it is also twirling through space, your Milky Way is also twisting and swirling, and yet no mention of the effects of all these other movements on the Foucault Pendulum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHsq36_NTU

(that's a globe Earthers video)

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 90: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 am
Reply
Re: Questions about the Earth

Like this post
DanieltheDragon wrote:

[Replying to post 86 by Trump]

Your right I don't have a satellite orbiting Jupiter so no I can't take those photos. But I can make out the red spot and count it's stripes. When observing Jupiter you have to track it because it is in motion orbiting the sun. So its position is changing relative to us more than just the earth rotation. Anyone who has spent time tracking and observing planets could figure that out. Why don't you take your telescope and actually use it for two months every night observing Jupiter. Then compare that to a star.


The heaven with the stars revolve around us, anyone can attest to that. The stars are as many as the sand on a sea shore, and we can see that too, and they are different in size, shape, color, brightness, and at different distances, so to understand this (not that I assume you can't) hang just a hundred different sized and shaped stars in you living room at different heights, and then video this going around and around on the ceiling of your living room, and make up your own sci-fi story, with your own distances in millions of light years and such.

Then get your friends to build on this story for the rest of your life, and pass this info on to your children. In 500 years I bet you would have a much, much better story than what NASA has so far

Here is Mars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpdBSrANbb4

I mean just look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khySM1YBQvA

Paintings and cheap computer generated color-dots created by a program like this here next:

reality check:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6vjpgYbzQ

all because of an imaginary gravity, which won't pull the satellites or the ISS in, yet holds the giant moon in a spinning orbit, and the sun which is gigantic in mass, won't pull the moon away from the earth? just how much drugs have they put in our water to make us believe this stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4cRW_T5Xg

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version