Towards a Definition of God

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Towards a Definition of God

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, the central contention here is that 'God is the most perfect being we can imagine, and since He is infinitely good, even better than that'.

The issue then, is not our disparate conceptions of God, which will inevitably differ according to our own capacities to imagine perfect goodness, but how to reconcile them all into something of a consensus we can all agree on, so that we are also agreed on how each individual ought progress spiritually towards that perfect goodness.

So, my question for the forum is; is perfect, infinite goodness a matter to be defined, and settled, or is it always going to be a matter to strive for and never to be reached, though the striving being a worthwhile endeavour of itself? Or, would you like to propose some other definition of God, for the purposes of discussion?

Best wishes, 2RM.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Re: Towards a Definition of God

Post #21

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

In my opinion, an entity of perfect, infinite goodness could not have created a world with so much suffering, a bible so contradictory and confusing, and an eternal hell of punishment.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by EduChris »

2ndRateMind wrote:...would you like to propose some other definition of God, for the purposes of discussion?...
I define "God" as that which is non-contingent and without arbitrary limits regarding spatio-temporal dimensions, information, volition, and efficacy. In short, "God" is the simplest "foundational Reality" capable of generating and sustaining our contingent omniverse.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by EduChris »

2ndRateMind wrote:...is perfect, infinite goodness a matter to be defined, and settled, or is it always going to be a matter to strive for and never to be reached, though the striving being a worthwhile endeavour of itself?...
My prior post attempted to present the bare minimum on which ALL of today's major world theisms would agree. Once you start trying to add further attributes (i.e., "goodness") to God, the world theisms begin to diverge.

Most theisms have always maintained at least one of two things: 1) God is perfectly good; or 2) God can be placated and/or manipulated in some way in the furtherance of our own desires or purposes. I am not aware of any contemporary world theism that claims God is an evil, implacable tyrant, for example.

For myself, I think God puts within us the thought that "things could and should be better," and God (at least sometimes) provides us the strength of will to align our actions toward that goal.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #24

Post by Mr.Badham »

2ndRateMind wrote: So, the central contention here is that 'God is the most perfect being we can imagine, and since He is infinitely good, even better than that'.

The issue then, is not our disparate conceptions of God, which will inevitably differ according to our own capacities to imagine perfect goodness, but how to reconcile them all into something of a consensus we can all agree on, so that we are also agreed on how each individual ought progress spiritually towards that perfect goodness.

So, my question for the forum is; is perfect, infinite goodness a matter to be defined, and settled, or is it always going to be a matter to strive for and never to be reached, though the striving being a worthwhile endeavour of itself? Or, would you like to propose some other definition of God, for the purposes of discussion?

Best wishes, 2RM.

I'd say I have problems with the words "perfect", "infinite", "goodness", "defined" "settled" "strive", "reached", "worthwhile", "endeavor",. "itself", propose", "definition", "God" and "discussion". Your inability to define these words will help you understand why your god does not exist.

jgh7

Post #25

Post by jgh7 »

2ndRateMind wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.
I used to believe that we could never reach perfect goodness. By goodness, I'm speaking strictly on a mindfulness level (your personality and qualities such as joy and compassion). Not goodness with respect to power or looks or even knowledge; we may have limitations in those departments unlike God.

I'm now starting to lean more on the side that humans can achieve perfect goodness. To say that we can't means to say that there are absolute limitations in us that prevent of from advancing in goodness once we reach a certain level. I'm not convinced this is the case.

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #26

Post by Mr.Badham »

2ndRateMind wrote: So, the central contention here is that 'God is the most perfect being we can imagine, and since He is infinitely good, even better than that'.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I think you make a mistake in believing we must all agree.