What is God?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.Badham
Sage

What is God?

Post #1

Post by Mr.Badham »

As an atheist, I have a hard time understanding what a god might look like. Please help.

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: What is God?

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

Mr.Badham wrote: As an atheist, I have a hard time understanding what a god might look like. Please help.
According to the scriptures then no one knows what God is or what God looks like, but that only means the one (1) Creator Father God, because there are many lesser Gods as like Jesus and Satan and Archangels and Demons and Spirits which can get us confused about what is what and who is who.

According to the scriptures then even the Spirit world does not know what is the Father or what the Father looks like.

The Father God created all of the lesser Gods.

The scriptures of the world (not just the Bible) does give us hints about the Father, and even the hints are unsettling.

It is said that if any person were to see the Father then they would die, but that also implies that just the knowledge of what God is can drive us insane.

The Bible declares that Jesus (Yesu) is the one and only spokesperson for the Father and thereby it is presumed that Jesus knows much more about the Father but maybe not, and this was the reason that there was a spirit-war in the heavens because Satan wanted to take the place of spokesperson for the Father away from Jesus, so it was only a war between the lesser Gods trying to get closer to the unknowable Father.

That is my understanding.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

jgh7

Post #3

Post by jgh7 »

I think He's really shiny.

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rufus21 »

The Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Hindus, Buddhists, Norse, and many other religions have very detailed descriptions of their gods. Maybe start by looking at some of them? It's so disappointing that Christianity chose to have an invisible god, although I can understand why.

evilsorcerer1
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by evilsorcerer1 »

God is blasphemy, probably all have blasphemed because anything besides the one true spirit is god. We are our own gods by choice. God, or the idea of gods existence compared to ourselves, doesn't forgive someone trying to hit him, he knows they will never stop. Fictional ‘snakes,serpents, etc’ made up by people to place the blame for all of their own sins. Jesus = serpent. I like to do word meanings and if letters have a real and singular meaning. Here’s my attempt with Jesus. God was supposedly the father or creator. G is the first letter of gas but seemed to be too rigid a sound to coincide with the substance. J may have been an attempt to reconnect people with the old testament god but who would be the Holy Spirit. So g to J to H. The new testament may have been written by someone assuming the old testament was written in code (with all those lmade up fairy tales who wouldn’t) and so wrote the entire NT under pen names believing it was a prophecy that the true sons of god would become extinct and the apocalypse would begin. I believe the event took place very early in history. But Jesus represented the last generation of the children of god. He was called the son of God because he was the last and only generation (supposedly), but was not a real person. So G and J are closely related letters, J being softer and more like a real gas, god being more like a solid, gold for instance. The e in jesus may point to Eden where a very similar sacrifice took place. And so is the first s? Satan, serpent, both were blamed for mens sins when men were responsible. Now the serpent/snake’s head is bruised by man’s heel which is war carried out by almost all humanity. In other word’s it’s just getting the tip of the spear compared of all the blood being spilled. The serpent also represent humanity, a closer idea of how many people were created during creation with 200-400 ribs. So the snake replaced the serpent in the future, it’s head being bruised instead of the serpent. The serpent was actually Adam who thought the snake had been removed from him (salvation). But Adam didn’t know that there is no devil or angels and that the true god is a spirit and the only spirit and blasphemy is wanting to be god, to “be a spirit�. The serpent continued to represent humanity. Total amount of bones in one man-appx amount of nationalities today. So the serpent is mankind and they war. Funny how the Jews Pharisees, old testament believers, or far i see people because they couldn’t remember their own garden of eden story. God walked with them in the garden and spoke with them and made them skins when they left. sus could also represent seas on both side of something blocking their view of all people. The u I don’t know but if J and soft letters represent gas, seas, ‘a’ letter would represent an idea, something non physical. The last letters ‘us’ may represent the followers of the Holy Spirit. But they are blasphemers.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #6

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Mr.Badham wrote: As an atheist, I have a hard time understanding what a god might look like. Please help.
Does one understand as to what is beauty? It could be in anything, in inanimates, in plants, in animals, and in humans. What is Beauty in the absolute sense, please?
Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #7

Post by JP Cusick »

Rufus21 wrote: The Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Hindus, Buddhists, Norse, and many other religions have very detailed descriptions of their gods. Maybe start by looking at some of them? It's so disappointing that Christianity chose to have an invisible god, although I can understand why.
I really do agree with this because it is so arrogant to dismiss the appearance of God from ancient religions.

Jesus came looking like a man.

The Bible says that male and female are the image of God, Genesis 1:27.

If God does not look human to each of us - then we would see His as an alien or as a monster.

I would even compare the perception with the Harry Potter movies - in that when Voldemort turned into a human form then he became more relative and more vulnerable and most importantly Voldemort becoming human became far more limited and less respected or less worshiped.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

GOD does not look like any thing.

GOD as an individuate being (The First Source Consciousness) is consciousness without form. Form is what allows for some thing to look like some thing.

GOD (consciousness) is not a thing.

In relation to our position, we are GOD within form, and as a species it could be said that altogether we 'look like' something in relation to our overall collective behavior.

However, that collective behavior in itself does not mean that the general overview can be said to be something which GOD (The First Source Consciousness)actually IS, but can be said to be what GOD within the collective form of humanity 'looks like'.

Even so, it (the general overall consciousness of humanity) is still only an aspect of GOD-consciousness in relation to this one tiny speck of dust suspended in Sol-light.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #9

Post by paarsurrey1 »

jgh7 wrote: I think He's really shiny.
I agree with one that One-True-God is light:

[24:36] Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a lustrous niche, wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a glittering star. It is lit from a blessed tree — an olive — neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil would well-nigh glow forth even though fire touched it not. Light upon light! Allah guides to His light whomsoever He will. And Allah sets forth parables to men, and Allah knows all things full well.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 4&verse=35

The above description is from One-True-God made by Himself.
Regards

The Tanager
Savant

Post #10

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 1 by Mr.Badham]

Rather than just sharing different views, I'd say let's look at it rationally. Supposed revelations differ. I'd say if you want to jump to a particular revelation, you need to first rationally support why that revelation is true. But I think there are arguments for God's existence from observations about reality that can be the first steps on what God, if God or the gods exist, is like. I'd say let's take that approach, but I won't push it if that's not the way you are really wanting to pursue.