Is a strict muslim vetting system racist?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Is a vetting system which interviews muslim immigrants in great detail before allowing them acceptance into our country racist? To be clear, they would be given different interview standards (a much more focused interview) and asked different questions than non-muslim immigrants.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #11

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 10 by bluethread]
I also think that our rights guaranteed in the constitution should be infringed

Which rights?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #12

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 10 by bluethread]
Well, the problem is how does one identify an ideology without asking. Of those billion Muslims, how many can be picked out of a crowd as Muslim? I do not see how an absolute vetting of Muslims could actually be done. Therefore, the "Muslim ban" is just incendiary language, designed to overstate reasonable vetting.
I don't have an issue in vetting refugees from areas of civil strife and conflict. Probably the best way of identifying ideologues with terroristic capabilities is good old fashion detective work. Part of the issue with mass serveillance is to much data. Your basically putting a haystack on your needle if you will. The real high tech stuff at NSA isn't the collection of data but sorting through it. HP was working on memresitor technology it turned out to be to expensive for business applications but the government did buy into the project, probably for this purpose.

The best data we have gotten on potential terrorist threats though still to this day has come from the Muslim community itself. That's where you get the tip offs and information on where to look. Alienating them and making them wear a metaphorical Jewish star won't really help things.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Donray
Guru

Re: Is a strict muslim vetting system racist?

Post #13

Post by Donray »

jgh7 wrote: Is a vetting system which interviews muslim immigrants in great detail before allowing them acceptance into our country racist? To be clear, they would be given different interview standards (a much more focused interview) and asked different questions than non-muslim immigrants.
What race are all Muslims????????

jgh7

Re: Is a strict muslim vetting system racist?

Post #14

Post by jgh7 »

Donray wrote:
jgh7 wrote: Is a vetting system which interviews muslim immigrants in great detail before allowing them acceptance into our country racist? To be clear, they would be given different interview standards (a much more focused interview) and asked different questions than non-muslim immigrants.
What race are all Muslims????????
I was incorrect in using that term. In post #3 I tried to clarify what I meant.

bluethread
Savant

Post #15

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 10 by bluethread]
I also think that our rights guaranteed in the constitution should be infringed

Which rights?
Sorry, I meant NOT infringed, any of them. There are some that are not directly diluted. However, some are, i.e. property rights. Also, some are effected, i.e. the right to bear arms and being secure in one's person and property.
Well, the problem is how does one identify an ideology without asking. Of those billion Muslims, how many can be picked out of a crowd as Muslim? I do not see how an absolute vetting of Muslims could actually be done. Therefore, the "Muslim ban" is just incendiary language, designed to overstate reasonable vetting.
vetting refugees from areas of civil strife and conflict. Probably the best way of identifying ideologues with terroristic capabilities is good old fashion detective work. Part of the issue with mass serveillance is to much data. Your basically putting a haystack on your needle if you will. The real high tech stuff at NSA isn't the collection of data but sorting through it. HP was working on memresitor technology it turned out to be to expensive for business applications but the government did buy into the project, probably for this purpose.

The best data we have gotten on potential terrorist threats though still to this day has come from the Muslim community itself. That's where you get the tip offs and information on where to look. Alienating them and making them wear a metaphorical Jewish star won't really help things.

As I said, I do not see how an absolute vetting of Muslims can be done. The only ones calling the executive order a "Muslim ban" are those who oppose exactly what you are proposing, vetting refugees from areas of civil strife and conflict. It is important to note that vetting IS good old fashioned detective work. Saying one should use the tools of the trade does not make one tool useless. Bye the way, you do know that the real "Jewish star" was placed on citizens who were living in Nazi Germany at the time, right? Not one citizen is covered in the current executive order and it only applies to people seeking entry into this country. So, maybe we should avoid the incendiary comparisons.

Oh, are you saying that people seeking entry into this country from another country are "metaphorical citizens", who are "metaphorically" living in these United States. Then I guess a "metaphorical Jewish star" might apply. However, I am not really concerned about being killed by a "metaphorical terrorist".

KenRU
Guru

Post #16

Post by KenRU »

DanieltheDragon wrote: We are literally talking about a percent of a percent within a population. At its height ISIS had roughly some 50,000 odd members, out of a billion Muslims that is an incredibly small number.
And yet, statistics show a more informative picture:

In 2010, there were 1.5 billion muslims in the world (22%).

In a Pew Research Center article published April of 2013, a vast majority support Sharia law, and only 51-64 % support Sharia for their country only, meaning 49-36% support it for other countries.

Article: http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the- ... -overview/
There are far more Christian extremists in the states than Muslim extremists so should we discriminate against Christians?
Which is more active? Which one is carrying out said threats?

That's the one I take more seriously.
would it be justified?
If they carried out their threats, yes.

I'm not advocating infringing any US citizens rights. But I see nothing wrong with thorough (even extreme) vetting - given the popularity of a culture/philosophy that self-advocates to be against equality and modernity ... and tolerance.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg