Is religious opinion more important than scientific fact?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JP Cusick wrote:
Justin108 wrote: Please explain how teaching evolution is "brainwashing", but teaching religion isn't? If schools "brainwash" children by teaching evolution, does that mean that parents "brainwash" children by teaching Christianity?
In the USA teaching the evolution is brainwashing because it is contrary to the declared beliefs and religions of the vast majority of the American population.
Is religious opinion more important than scientific fact? Should schools also be forbidden from teaching physics, astronomy and geography because it's contrary to the beliefs of flat-Earthers? Should parents have the right to withhold education from their children due to religious beliefs?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Is religious opinion more important than scientific fact

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Justin108 wrote:Should schools also be forbidden from teaching physics, astronomy and geography because it's contrary to the beliefs of flat-Earthers?
No, because JP Cusick says that the standard should be the declared beliefs and religions of the vast majority of the American population, not what is true or the consensus of experts in each particular field. So evolution should be ok to teach as soon as the opinion polls show that the majority of Americans believe it.
Justin108 wrote:Is religious opinion more important than scientific fact?
Not according to the First Ammendment.
Justin108 wrote:Should parents have the right to withhold education from their children due to religious beliefs?
Should parents have the right to withhold healthcare from their children due to religious beliefs? Should parents have the right to sacrifice their children to their gods?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #3

Post by Kenisaw »

Justin108 wrote: Is religious opinion more important than scientific fact?
Depends on each individual obviously. For me, no. I'd rather have something supported by facts and data as a foundation for my intellect instead of baseless conjecture.
Should schools also be forbidden from teaching physics, astronomy and geography because it's contrary to the beliefs of flat-Earthers?
According to ISIS no one needs an education, so maybe we should just do away with schools entirely.
Should parents have the right to withhold education from their children due to religious beliefs?
All 50 states in the US have in their state constitution the right to an education (through high school). It's also a law in all the states that all kids have to attend school (be it public, private, home school ,etc). So no, parents do not have the right to withhold education from their kids, for any reason.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by liamconnor »

Justin108 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
Justin108 wrote: Please explain how teaching evolution is "brainwashing", but teaching religion isn't? If schools "brainwash" children by teaching evolution, does that mean that parents "brainwash" children by teaching Christianity?
In the USA teaching the evolution is brainwashing because it is contrary to the declared beliefs and religions of the vast majority of the American population.

I don't see the relevancy of the two adjectives: fact always supersedes opinion whether scientific or religious. As for the "fact" of evolution, it is a scientific fact. It is a theory which accounts for some data. By no means all.
Should schools also be forbidden from teaching physics, astronomy and geography because it's contrary to the beliefs of flat-Earthers?

Based on C's logic, no. Flat-E is not a majority belief.
Should parents have the right to withhold education from their children due to religious beliefs?
It depends on the content of the education: if the education holds that evolution is a proved theory which by nature invalidates their religious convictions, then yes, since this is propaganda and not science.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #5

Post by Kenisaw »

liamconnor wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:

I don't see the relevancy of the two adjectives: fact always supersedes opinion whether scientific or religious. As for the "fact" of evolution, it is a scientific fact. It is a theory which accounts for some data. By no means all.
Please list the "data" that is not accounted for by the scientific theory of evolution.

Based on C's logic, no. Flat-E is not a majority belief.
The number of people that believe something has nothing to do with it being supported by fact or not. Flat E is not taught because there is no evidence for it, not because it won or lost a popularity contest...
It depends on the content of the education: if the education holds that evolution is a proved theory which by nature invalidates their religious convictions, then yes, since this is propaganda and not science.
Please refer to my previous post where I explained that it is illegal to withhold education from a child.

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rufus21 »

JP Cusick wrote: In the USA teaching the evolution is brainwashing because it is contrary to the declared beliefs and religions of the vast majority of the American population.
I thought that most religions in America accepted evolution, or at least most of the religious followers did. It wasn't until I came to this forum that I found Christians who don't believe in evolution. And the few that don't seem to conflate it with abiogenesis, so maybe they actually would believe it if they understood the difference.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm out of touch with the Christian community, but I've lived and worked with a lot of Christians and none of them denied evolution.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

liamconnor wrote:if the education holds that evolution is a proved theory which by nature invalidates their religious convictions, then yes, since this is propaganda and not science.
If the education holds that the germ theory of disease is a proved theory which by nature invalidates their religious convictions, then this is propaganda and not science.
Really?
Rufus21 wrote:I thought that most religions in America accepted evolution, or at least most of the religious followers did.
Cusick is a Christian. Cusick denies secular evolution. The majority of Americans are at least nominally Christian. Therefore, evolution is denied by the religious convictions of the majority of Americans. Do you now see how Christian logic works? It is much better than the perversion known as secular logic.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #8

Post by Realworldjack »

Justin108 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
Is religious opinion more important than scientific fact? Should schools also be forbidden from teaching physics, astronomy and geography because it's contrary to the beliefs of flat-Earthers? Should parents have the right to withhold education from their children due to religious beliefs?
Absolutely not! The teaching of religion should be left to the home, Church, Synagogue, etc. As a Christian I certainly would not want someone whom I did not know, and were uncertain about their understanding, teaching my children about Christianity.

I have no problem with religion classes, in order for the kids to learn about the different religions, as long as they are simply being taught, facts about religion.

In the same way, when it comes to science, they should only be taught about the facts concerning science. With this being the case, I have no problem at all with, evolution being taught in the schools, as long as they were taught the facts concerning evolution.

With this being the case, they should be taught that evolution has been proposed as a possible explanation, along with all the reasons, and evidence that is used to support evolution, because in this way, they would indeed be taught the facts concerning evolution!