Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Apologetics Arguments You're Not Likely to Hear

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

The Location of the Empty Tomb Argument:
Jesus' empty tomb is very convincing evidence for his resurrection. We know where that tomb is; it's right here outside Jerusalem. Take a look.

Jesus Himself is Proof of the Resurrection Argument:
The most obvious and convincing evidence for the resurrection is the risen Jesus--forget doubting Thomas blessed but not seeing. You can just see the risen Jesus for yourself.

The Superior Morals of Christians Argument:
Christians are very holy people. They must have the Holy Spirit indwelling them to guide them into righteousness that no heathen can match.

The Power and Knowledge of Christians Argument:
As promised in the New Testament, Christians are guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth. They work miracles through the power of God, and we can prove it. Bring on those amputees. We can pray and those limbs will be restored.

The Bible is Indeed Holy Argument:
The Bible is the most loving, sensible, and peaceful book ever written. It chronicles many loving acts of God as he without exception acts with gentleness and care for all people. Go ahead and read it for yourselves!

So are we likely to see such arguments from Christian apologists?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Apologetics Arguments You're Not Likely to Hear

Post #31

Post by Bust Nak »

liamconnor wrote: however, the argument presented is subjective. It amounts to "If I were God, I would do x; but the biblical god did z; therefore, the biblical god is not god."

Yes?
No. "If God exists then X; not X; therefore God does not exist" does not amounts to your suggestion. We've been though this already on a thread dedicated solely to this issue.

If you want to dispute the premise "if God exists then X" then address it properly, don't strawman your opponent's argument into something else.

Monta
Guru

Post #32

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 28 by Jagella]

"An all-powerful, miracle-working healing god would have no problem restoring an amputated limb. Claims of miraculous healing on the part of Jesus fill the gospels, and Jesus is quoted as saying his followers would perform even greater wonders. It never happens! Knowing that miracles cannot be demonstrated to happen, apologists avoid this argument like the plague. "

Perhaps they simply can't be bothered arguing.
Believers have enough of what's needed for them to keep their faith. You'd have to know what did Jesus mean when he said followers will perform greater miracles. Perhaps they are and they are great, but you/we have no measure by which to measure.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Jagella »

Monta wrote:Perhaps they simply can't be bothered arguing.
But many Christians do argue for the credibility of their faith. Jesus himself argued furiously for his claims. Paul of Tarsus smeared doubters as "natural men" who presumably were deficient in some way. We skeptics are responding to Christian claims. Do you find our responses to be objectionable?
Believers have enough of what's needed for them to keep their faith.
I'm sure some Christians do uncritically accept the reasons they are given for the validity of their beliefs. Others may find flaws in their beliefs but fall back on blind faith. Still others accept the truth and leave the faith. I fall into the third category.
You'd have to know what did Jesus mean when he said followers will perform greater miracles. Perhaps they are and they are great, but you/we have no measure by which to measure.
I definitely concede your point that we cannot be sure what Jesus meant by "greater things." (John 14:12-14) There are a lot of things Jesus said we cannot be sure of, and that confusion has divided Christendom ever since. That said, I think a good case can be made that he included the restoration of limbs in greater things. If you try to exclude such a miracle, then what Jesus said reduces to an absurdity:
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these except for restoring severed legs and arms, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name except restoring limbs, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it (but not give those limbs back!).
If you insist I'm wrong that Christians were promised the power to restore limbs, then you must accept the quotation above.

What is your choice?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 32 by Monta]
Perhaps they are and they are great, but you/we have no measure by which to measure.
If you can't measure, then why do you believe that Jesus was anything special?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense