Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Lying for Jesus

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

To any Christian apologist: if you knew that if you lied to a person about Christianity then that person would convert and be saved, would you lie to her or him?

bluethread
Savant

Post #31

Post by bluethread »

Jagella wrote:
bluethread wrote:...it must be noted that stating something that is not true is not necessarily a lie. A lie requires a certainty that what one is claiming to be true is in fact untrue.
People often make honest mistakes. However, once corrected they know that what they were saying is a falsehood. If they persist in the falsehood, then they are lying. Religious people are often guilty of this kind of dishonesty. We have an example on this thread.
Yes, this is a common human frailty and being a theist does not guarantee that it will not happen. That is why HaTorah commands, (Deut. 19:17) "Do not hate your brother in your heart, but rebuke your neighbor frankly, so that you won't carry sin because of him. "

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Lying for Jesus

Post #32

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jagella wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: I am not interested in anything more you have to say.
I'll bet!

You won't leave the JWs. I'm not going to waste my time proving something to you that you already know or that you can easily know. For the benefit of other members here who are interested in the truth, they can see for themselves examples of Watchtower misquotations including the deliberate quoting out of context in Life: How Did it Get Here.

I will continue to fight the lie.

I'm not here to debate with links. If you have something you h
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jagella wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: I am not interested in anything more you have to say.
I'll bet!

You won't leave the JWs. I'm not going to waste my time proving something to you that you already know or that you can easily know. For the benefit of other members here who are interested in the truth, they can see for themselves examples of Watchtower misquotations including the deliberate quoting out of context in Life: How Did it Get Here.

I will continue to fight the lie.

Will that fight include not understanding what an ellipses =>[...] is or where to use it?

Reviewing your link it seems the webmasters are preying on people's ignorance of the very basics in English literary devices, confident that their readership are only semi-literate and would not recognize faulty application of grammatical rules or know if they are thereby being manipulated. I found no evidence of misquoting (except on the part of the website itself which in the first example actually misquoted the Watchtower article adding a word ("Therefore") which was not in the actual sentence quoted). If you claim you did find something in the link to legitimately support your claim, feel free to produce it and argue your case.

Since you failed to use an ellipsis in quoting me in the last line I wrote in post #27, when doing so would have indicated that something had been omitted, I cannot fail to suspect you are not in a position to do so.

Good day,

JW

ps: For your reading pleasure
https://literarydevices.net/ellipsis/
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Jagella »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Good day,

JW
And good day to you!

Did I need to use ellipses in there somewhere?

For the benefit of the other members here who may not see the alleged improper use of ellipses as an excuse for the Watchtower's dishonesty, here is JW org - Lies, Misquotes and Deception, a fascinating YouTube video proving the JW's lying tactics. It documents how the Watchtower was threatened by a scientist with a libel lawsuit! Bad, bad boys. #-o

Monta
Guru

Post #35

Post by Monta »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Monta wrote: The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society ... will lie about the Theory of Evolution in an attempt to disprove it.
Can you provide any evidence to support this accusation?
There's problem with copy/paste, I did not write that.

Monta
Guru

Post #36

Post by Monta »

Jagella wrote:
Monta wrote:I have known Christians to lie to propagate their faith. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and other creationist groups will lie about the Theory of Evolution in an attempt to disprove it.
That's not me you are quoting someone else.