Jesus never had "Christ" as proper name. Did he?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Jesus never had "Christ" as proper name. Did he?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Jesus never had "Christ" as his proper name. Did he? Please
Regards

_________
This thread was visualized from post # 33 by friend Willum in the thread "Jesus was not a Christian ".

Willum
Savant

Re: Jesus never had "Christ" as proper name. Did h

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by bluethread]

Ah, well, in that case, you are just wrong, your interpretation swayed by hope and belief, rather than plain English. Unless my English is wrong.

I can tell I am making you upset, you have discovered that your own knowledge OF your belief is inconsistent with your belief.

As a scientist this has happened to me more than once. But reality wins. In your case it seems you pour reason on the flame of knowledge to ensure it does not spread.

I am not sure what you want me to do, I have shown you the way with your own knowledge, I can't stop you from denying yourself.

Take a break, do some self-reflection.

Willum
Savant

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 8 by bjs]

A key point was the differences between Judaism and Christianity.

He advised Jews to use coins with graven images of other gods on them and pay them in tribute to other false gods. He kept company with prostitutes and criminals, his lifestyle was "unclean," diet is not high on the list of record-able things - the quote says enough for me. However, he was poor, and the poor in Jerusalem ate whatever they could get.
You have not yet given any evidence that Jesus did not keep the dietary restrictions himself.
Nor can I provide ANY evidence about a man who can't be shown to even exist. Indeed, I made no claim he did.
Given the nature of his teachings and his position as a rabbi, had he not kept those restriction it certainly would have been a noteworthy event.
Perhaps, unless the Bible was pro-Jesus. Oh.

The Mark quote is enough.
A person’s parents did not have to be Jewish for that person to be Jewish. The command Deuteronomy would prevent someone of illegitimate birth from taking part in the assembly at the Tabernacle (when it existed). It would not prevent someone from being Jewish.
So, this statement obviates an point being made on this thread. He was definitely accursed to ten generations then?
Last edited by Willum on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

William
Savant

Jesus was a Jew?

Post #13

Post by William »

Is there any real reference to Jesus belonging to any race other than - begottedly -the Human one?

It appears to me that he never identified with any race, and his message tends toward getting humans to understand the greater reality that we are all the same being when the costumes of race, culture, religion, politics etc are removed.

In reality, the parents who conceived your form, the color of your skin, the body you are in, the county or country you were born in, the name you were given etc et al, are NOT something you need to identify with and become part of IF you choose not to do so.

No one can rightfully label Jesus anything other than what he himself is purported to have labelled himself, and even then one must acknowledge that the story itself has probably been tampered with so at the very least one must be cautious, especially when there are contradictions involved.

We do know from the story that Jesus spent his formative years in Egypt, so we can even assume that there will be some influence from that area as well. But influence from any sector of human society does not in itself signify the person is of that persuasion.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

Has anyone thought to look at what Jesus said about his ethnicity?
John 4:9, 19-23 wrote:Therefore the Samaritan woman said to Him, “How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?� (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) […]
The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped in this mountain, and you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.� Jesus *said to her, “Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

[Replying to post 14 by McCulloch]
Has anyone thought to look at what Jesus said about his ethnicity?
Taking into consideration the situation, as quoted, it can be seen that Jesus took the opportunity the woman afford to him by her question, to make a more pertinent point than go off on a tangent as to how he actually saw himself and the many things he claimed about his self - how he self identified.

The woman first called him a Jew. He responded as one for the purpose of the ensuring conversation.
Jesus didn't deny his Jewishness, he simply extended upon it, as the opportunity permitted.

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 14 by McCulloch]

I don't find it conclusive: She may simply be referring to where he was born, and as far as demeaning the Hebrew Samaritan, Jesus is certainly incorrect in his assessment of their worship. I doubt there is anyone living who could describe the prima facie differences, which seem to simply be Samaritans being the true children of God, not, not... well I couldn't tell you.

Since Samaritans have the better pedigree, I imaging those Hebrew that call themselves Jewish are livid.

It certainly says nothing about what he believes.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #17

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 6 by bjs]

Wow, the power of reading of course.

In order to demonstrate Jesus did not practice Judaism, one need only look at the differences between Judaism and Christianity. There are a multitude, and Christianity is closer to other religions than it is Judaism, so it would be easier to call him a Zoroastrian, by logic and comparison, than Jewish.

Jesus waived the dietary practices:
Mark 7:15-19
“There is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man. [� If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.�] When he had left the crowd and entered the house, His disciples questioned Him about the parable. And He said to them, “Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him, because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?� (Thus He declared all foods clean.)
Ignored commandments:
[Non-Jewish interpretation of Commandments]

I will call anyone an idiot, quite against forum rules, who says that God's genome is subservient to a Jewish genealogy CONVENTION, that has not been consistent over the centuries.

I'll need you to ask me questions about if Jesus' father was human
. It all seems obvious to me.
if Jesus' father was human
Please answer the question in one's post.
Jesus' father was definitely not God, literally and physically. That is only possible if Mary was the wife of God. Was Mary wife of God?
Regards

marco
Savant

Re: Jesus was a Jew?

Post #18

Post by marco »

William wrote:
We do know from the story that Jesus spent his formative years in Egypt, so we can even assume that there will be some influence from that area as well.
Perhaps by some miracle there was Egyptian influence. He was possibly just months old and certainly no older than 2 when Herod died and they left Egypt.

bluethread
Savant

Post #19

Post by bluethread »

Willum wrote:
Ah, well, in that case, you are just wrong, your interpretation swayed by hope and belief, rather than plain English. Unless my English is wrong.
Interesting that you choose not to include the quote when you say I am jus t wrong. for the record, here it is.

'For yet another time, He is not talking about anything one can put into one's mouth, i.e. rocks, sulfuric acid, dog poo. He is talking about eating FOOD without following a rabbinic hand washing. Food is that which is acceptable to eat as determined by a given culture. Therefore, the cultural rules of the culture are implied when one uses the term "food". The hnd washing is not in HaTorah, but is a rabbinic rule, which many Jews do not follow. So, He was not violating a commandment by saying the eating food with unwashed hands does not make the food unclean.'

As you can see, your English is wrong. The word is food. Food by definition is what one generally eats. In these Untied States dog is not food. However, China dog is food. In fact, they have a festival every year set aside for the eating of dogs. So, in the context of Yeshua's time, food was what was permissible to eat according to HaTorah.

Now, the fact that the issue was about eating with ceremonially unclean hands, according to rabbinics and not HaTorah, understanding English is also helpful, if one is using an English translation.  This is not based on hope and belief, it is based on the fact that if one simply looks at the first two verses of the chapter one can read, "The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed."

If the point was what constitutes food, that would have been pointed out, but it is not. The point is that what constitutes food can not be made unclean simply because one does not follow a rabbinic hand washing ritual.
I can tell I am making you upset, you have discovered that your own knowledge OF your belief is inconsistent with your belief.
No, just being meticulous, because you seem to like it ignore pertinent facts.
As a scientist this has happened to me more than once. But reality wins. In your case it seems you pour reason on the flame of knowledge to ensure it does not spread.
No, I am placing detail in context to make sure it does not get contaminated by bias. You, being a scientist, should understand the importance of taking a relevant factors into account.
I am not sure what you want me to do, I have shown you the way with your own knowledge, I can't stop you from denying yourself.
I am not asking you to do anything. I am simply taking the opportunity to provide the readers here with a lesson in proper literary criticism, by correcting your errors.
Take a break, do some self-reflection.
Thank you, but I do so quite frequently already. I'll see you when the next opportunity to correct the record arises.

William
Savant

Re: Jesus was a Jew?

Post #20

Post by William »

marco wrote:
William wrote:
We do know from the story that Jesus spent his formative years in Egypt, so we can even assume that there will be some influence from that area as well.
Perhaps by some miracle there was Egyptian influence. He was possibly just months old and certainly no older than 2 when Herod died and they left Egypt.

Or they may have stayed on for a few years.