Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Has God ever communicated with you?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote: Can you perhaps describe how exactly God communicated with you?
Through holy spirit and personal experience.

Justin108 wrote:Was it an audible interaction as if another human being was speaking to you?
Not as yet, no.
Justin108 wrote: Please, in as much detail as you can, describe to me what it is like to have God personally inform you of something.
Yes I can. I won't, at least not to you, but I certainly could if I chose to.

JW
JW claims God spoke directly to him/her. JW, for whatever reason, refuses to explain the details of this interaction. I can only wonder why. Are there perhaps others on this forum who can explain to me in detail what an interaction with God is like?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Has God ever communicated with you?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Justin108 wrote:JW claims God spoke directly to him/her.
Will you kindly do me the pleasure of not misquoting me. It is bad show and does nothing to dignify your arguments. I think you can raise a topic of discussion as outlined in the leading question without such tactics.

Regards,

JW

Link to the exchange in question:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 113#882113
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Will you kindly do me the pleasure of not misquoting me. It is bad show and does nothing to dignify your arguments.

JW
I did not misquote you. I quoted you verbatim above, as you can see. At best, you can accuse me of misinterpreting what you said. If that is the case then I will retract my claim that God "spoke directly" to you. However, you did make the claim that God himself told you something... which is hardly much different to God speaking to you. At this point, it becomes an argument over semantics.

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote: Define "divine confirmation". Should God himself tell you when something is to be dismissed?
Yes, that is what I mean. That is correct, God himself informing me what (if anything) should be ignored in the bible.
If my use of the word "spoke" offended you so much then I am oh so sorry. But you do claim that God "communicated" with you and refuse to explain exactly how.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Justin108 wrote:If my use of the word "spoke" offended you so much then I am oh so sorry.
Apology accepted. I would appreciated it however if it did not happen again, as a misquote in a OP is, regardless of your retraction, repeated on every page for as long as the thread runs. While your apology remains lost in the first page likely not to be noted thereafter.

Regards,

JW

It might be an idea to consider asking your question independently and simply linking back to the thread that inspired it which would avoid the problem arising again.

Reminder
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 510#881510
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: I would appreciated it however if it did not happen again, as a misquote in a OP is, regardless of your retraction, repeated on every page for as long as the thread runs.
As already explained, I did not misquote you. Everything I posted in the quoted section was verbatim. I expect you to understand the difference between a misquote and a misinterpretation?

In case this is unclear, please see below what a real misquote looks like.
JehovahsWitness wrote: God never really communicated with me. I am just delusional.
See this is a misquote. Do you see the difference?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Justin108 wrote:As already explained, I did not misquote you. Everything I posted in the quoted section was verbatim. I expect you to understand the difference between a misquote and a misinterpretation?
If so, you might like to consider seeking clarification on the words I write with the aid of a good dictionary.
This statement is false; whether it came about through limited vocabulary or a misunderstanding. As you have already apologized I will let it go this time. As I said if I wanted to avoid such errors in the future, I would simply make my own point, raise the topic for discussion and link to the thread that inspired me.

This discussion is now over,

JW

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
This statement is false
That may be so, but it is not a misquote, which is what you keep accusing me of. Glad I could clear that up for you. Enjoy your day

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

I would like to make a request of JW, if I may. If in the future you state a claim as to understanding something that you claim is true (as per the topic of the OP, the 'correct' interpretation of Christian Scripture), and as justification for your claim, you say that God has communicated with you (or would communicate with you in some fashion, in order to correct you if ever you are mistaken)...
I request that you divulge in detail how such communication occurs, preferably with instructions on how we (as in other people) can have the same communication, so as to verify that you do indeed have the 'correct' interpretation.

After all...what good does it do in debate to say something along the lines of
"Scripture here means XYZ, God himself told me so (or didn't contact me to correct me)...but I'm not going to go into detail on this communication"? It's an obviously flawed attempt at an argument from authority.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

dio9
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by dio9 »

God is communicated in and through people, sharing joy with the good and grief with the wicked. The best way to communicate with God is to sit quietly and listen until the mental pain goes away. In one case God is communicating relief. When relief is translated to english it might be translated as (but of course God doesn't speak in words) something like "everything will be OK". Or in another God might say you've been a bad boy, change your ways.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #10

Post by JP Cusick »

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Will you kindly do me the pleasure of not misquoting me.
JW
At best, you can accuse me of misinterpreting what you said. If that is the case then I will retract my claim that God "spoke directly" to you.
To JW ~ the text does show that you did not say as that person claimed, and after being on this forum for awhile then most people know about him and his antics, so his words do not stick to you.

I agree with your (JW's) words in the OP that yes we could talk about the things which God personally informed to each of us, but we are not going to cast our pearls before swine who only want to mock and trample the word of God under their nasty feet.

God does communicate and speaks to us in many ways, including speaking through other people, speaking through scriptures, through events and circumstances, and speaks through our own hearts and conscience, and it is totally possible to physically hear the voice of God speaking ~ of course I suspect it is really a messenger speaking and that is close enough.

The thing is that each person must have eyes that can see the spiritual, and have ears which can hear the messages, and must have a heart which can understand the high moral ground.

We are not to take our highest of blessings and cast them before dogs.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: