What's in a name?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

What's in a name?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Names have their own meaning, and there is often a specific reason a parent has for choosing one for a newborn child they have.

In the Bible, a name may be changed to more accurately reflect a new situation.

What can we learn from the use and meaning of personal names in scripture?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #41

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 39 by evilsorcerer1]
I also try to make the words mean what I want them to mean.
What an interesting confession.

Monta
Guru

Post #42

Post by Monta »

Benoni wrote: God has many names and they are not titles they are "names". The first name of God in the Bible was Elohim NOT Jehovah
Therefore is 'God' a word or a title in Genesis -

'in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth'.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by Benoni »

Monta wrote:
Benoni wrote: God has many names and they are not titles they are "names". The first name of God in the Bible was Elohim NOT Jehovah

No that is your hang-up not mine. Elohim is the first name of the Bible. The name Jehovah was never used until Genesis 2 and even than it was Jehovah Elohim. . It is the JW who have gone though the whole Bible and change every name of God to Jehovah because they are a religion that need to control God's Word to their understanding not what the Bible really is saying.

That is not the way it works unless you are a JW.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #44

Post by onewithhim »

Monta wrote:

I have discussed this with Benoni, but since he is not interested in what anyone else has to say, I don't try to reason with him any more. "God" is not a name, and neither is "Elohim." Those are BOTH titles. "Elohim" is also applied to pagan gods and even angels.

"YHWH, or, Jehovah," is God's ONLY name, as He has stated throughout the Scriptures, as anyone can see who apprises themselves of a Hebrew Bible and can observe the Tetragrammaton in Hebrew letters (YHWH) in the text, which occur 7,000 times.

If a person doesn't know what God's name looks like in Hebrew letters, he will not be able to detect the Name in a Hebrew Bible. It is as it appears on this web-site:

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -9225-0274

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by Benoni »

onewithhim wrote:
Monta wrote:

I have discussed this with Benoni, but since he is not interested in what anyone else has to say, I don't try to reason with him any more. "God" is not a name, and neither is "Elohim." Those are BOTH titles. "Elohim" is also applied to pagan gods and even angels.

"YHWH, or, Jehovah," is God's ONLY name, as He has stated throughout the Scriptures, as anyone can see who apprises themselves of a Hebrew Bible and can observe the Tetragrammaton in Hebrew letters (YHWH) in the text, which occur 7,000 times.

If a person doesn't know what God's name looks like in Hebrew letters, he will not be able to detect the Name in a Hebrew Bible. It is as it appears on this web-site:

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -9225-0274

Sorry I am very closed minded to JW scholars who cherry pick what fits their bias.
A name is more than a moniker, more than a simple badge or means of identification, something by which we address people specifically and individually. In biblical usage there is much in a name!

in Bible times names were chosen with great care and were frequently given by prophetic utterance or under divine inspiration so that the names actually revealed the nature, character, attributes, and destiny of the person, and thus carried a message to all who spoke or used that name.

In a very real sense the "name" of a being is regarded as being a real part of the person. In a certain sense there can be no separation whatsoever between a man’s name and what he is as a person.

In the scriptures the innermost being of a man is expressed in his name. That is why Esau declares of his conniving brother, "Is he not rightly named Jacob (supplanter)? For he has supplanted me these two times" (Gen. 27:36). After wresting with the angel of the Lord, however, Jacob underwent a change of attitude and alteration of character which was accompanied by a change of name. Having seen the "face" or presence of God he was no longer the same man that he had been before his encounter with the Lord. Since name and character are absolutely identified there had to be a change in Jacob’s appellation! The angel of the Lord, therefore, said, "Thy name shall no more be called Jacob, but Israel (Prince): for as a prince thou hast power with God and with men, and hast prevailed" (Gen. 32:28).

"I will set him on high because he has known my name" (Ps. 91:14). To know His name is to become, in union with Him, the name-nature of God in every hour and in every way. To know His name is to enter in to the pure inner life of God, and exude His nature, His life, His character and all else that He is. To know means more than mere intellectual understanding or carnal knowledge. It means "intimate union" as when "Adam knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain" (Gen. 4:1).

Some people think because they use or pronounce the names Yahweh, El Elyon, Yahshua, and all the other Hebrew names they have dug out of the concordance, that this truly honors the Lord, makes the use of these names magical, procures favor with God, or is a mark of spirituality. People without a revelation from the Lord, or participation in His life, are disposed to go back and use the "letter" of that given to past generations of men of God. Some even become so radical that they re-write the Bible, inserting the Hebrew names in the New Testament text, although they do not appear in the ancient manuscripts!

The Psalmist says, "And they that know Thy name shall put their trust in Thee" (Ps. 9:10). The message is clear: "They that have experienced the inworking, the development and formation of Thy nature will confidently trust in Thee." If this has not been your experience yet — that is, the inworking and formation of His nature within — then you do not yet know the name of the Lord though you may be zealous to consistently use the Hebrew words Yahweh, Yahshua, and all the other name forms in the Old Testament.

Again the scripture declares that "the name of Yahweh is a strong tower." There are many precious revelations coming forth these days concerning the names of God, and the depth of meaning therein. Some immediately get caught up in the externals, with an emphasis on the mechanics — the spelling, syllables, and pronunciation of the names — dealing with the outward or "letter" of the Word. But it is the "letter" that killeth — that is, there is no life in those things!

They strike no chord deep in my spirit. In fact, they leave me somewhat cold and uninspired. The "spirit" of the Word gives life! The spirit is the substance, the essence and reality of His nature that the outward name reveals.
so aptly written, "Of this we are certain, there is a walk that is ‘not of the letter, but of the Spirit: for the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life’ (II Cor. 3:6). When certain truths are set down as a doctrine, and one receives only the letter thereof, it does not serve to gender life within, it only becomes one more burden to bear, adding to the load of traditions and commandments. But when the Spirit of God illumines the inner man, quickens the heart to receive that Word of Life within, it is not some doctrine to contend for, but it is a LIFE TO BE LIVED."

So the Lord gives this promise to the overcomer: "I will write upon him the name of my God." Is God going to literally write upon the overcomer the Hebrew letters of the name Y-A-H-W-E-H? Is this some form of tattoo we are to have burned into our flesh? Certainly not! Realizing the awesome glory and power that was given to Moses by the Lord when He proclaimed His name to him, we can well understand the significance of "the name of my God" which is to be written upon all who overcome. It is certainly not the Hebrew name of the Father, nor is it a new spiritual name that some are now using for themselves. Rather, it is the impartation of HIS CHARACTER AND AUTHORITY! Let us clearly understand the deep truth of God’s Word! When He proclaims or writes His name upon His called and chosen elect, He is in fact imparting to them His honor, His authority, His nature, and His power. It has nothing to do with letters of the alphabet or phonics!

Names of God
ELOHIM: (GOD) Ex.33:34 Heb. To “swear�, It describes one who stands in a covenant-relationship ratified by an oath.

God’s goodness, his nature (name, character, authority)

YAHVAH, YAHVAH-EL of compassion and favor, Slow to anger & abundant in loving kindness & faithfulness: keeping loving kindness to a thousand generations, forgetting iniquity and transgression and sin, though leave not utterly unpunished. Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon sons’ sons, unto a third & forth generation. Ex. 34: Rotherham

Judgment: Every time God judges a matter it was not from anger as humans know it, but from zeal to show forth His righteousness. Yes deprived those wicked people of life on this earth for it is His right to withdraw that life. Notice every time the Bible uses the name Jehovah there is always another name or nature attached, showing us God is a balance God in His judgements.

God is not only teaching His Word but also His Nature.

Notice when the name Jehovah is written it always includes anther name to show us a balanced nature. Without this other name the would no balance.

Jehovah T’ Sidkinu, The LORD OUR Righteousness (Jer. 23:6)
Jehovah M’ Kaddesh, The Lord Who Sanctifies (Lev. 20:7)
Jehovah Shalom, The Lord our peace (Judges 6:24)
Jehovah Shammah, The Lord our ever Present God (Ezek. 48:35)
Jehovah Rapha, The Lord our Healer (Ezek. 15:26)
Jehovah Jireh, The Lord our provider (Gen. 22:14)
Jehovah Nissi, The Lord our Victory (Ex. 17:15)
Jehovah Rohi, The Lord our Shepherd (Ps. 23:1)
Jehovah T’sur, The Lord our Strength (Ps. 19:14)

tigger2
Sage

Post #46

Post by tigger2 »

[Replying to post 45 by Benoni]

Benoni wrote:
Notice when the name Jehovah is written it always includes anther name to show us a balanced nature. Without this other name the would no balance.

Jehovah T’ Sidkinu, The LORD OUR Righteousness (Jer. 23:6)
Jehovah M’ Kaddesh, The Lord Who Sanctifies (Lev. 20:7)
Jehovah Shalom, The Lord our peace (Judges 6:24)
Jehovah Shammah, The Lord our ever Present God (Ezek. 48:35)
Jehovah Rapha, The Lord our Healer (Ezek. 15:26)
Jehovah Jireh, The Lord our provider (Gen. 22:14)
Jehovah Nissi, The Lord our Victory (Ex. 17:15)
Jehovah Rohi, The Lord our Shepherd (Ps. 23:1)
Jehovah T’sur, The Lord our Strength (Ps. 19:14)

If you are one of many who chooses the KJV over other Bibles:

Psalms - KJV
83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

When you see the many thousands of other places where the tetragrammaton is found in Scripture, you will see the name 'Jehovah' used hundreds of times without the modifiers you are saying are always there. Here are a few:

Exodus - ASV

6:2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am Jehovah:

6:8 And I will bring you in unto the land which I sware to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for a heritage: I am Jehovah.

6:29 that Jehovah spake unto Moses, saying, I am Jehovah

7:5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am Jehovah

7:17 Thus saith Jehovah, In this thou shalt know that I am Jehovah

8:22 to the end thou mayest know that I am Jehovah

Leviticus - ASV

18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and mine ordinances; which if a man do, he shall live in [or 'by'] them: I am Jehovah.

18:6 I am Jehovah

18:21 I am Jehovah

19:12 I am Jehovah.
And hundreds more!
Last edited by tigger2 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to post 46 by tigger2]

Wow I bet you are a JW? Try spiritual understanding outside the JW box you learn there are over 200 different NAMES for God not just one. They are names by the way not titles.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by Checkpoint »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to post 46 by tigger2]

Wow I bet you are a JW? Try spiritual understanding outside the JW box you learn there are over 200 different NAMES for God not just one. They are names by the way not titles.
But there is one Name that He revealed, when asked, and that is how He is usually addressed throughout the O.T.

It forms part of many of His other names.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Benoni »

Checkpoint wrote:

But there is one Name that He revealed, when asked, and that is how He is usually addressed throughout the O.T.

There are many names in the Bible for God not one. I posted an earlier list.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by Checkpoint »

Benoni wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:

There are many names in the Bible for God not one. I posted an earlier list.
Nobody says otherwise.

You have missed the point.