If God exists, would It have a sense of humor?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

If God exists, would It have a sense of humor?

Post #1

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

If so, what would make God smile, so to speak, or laugh?
If not, does that mean God is just a cold fish or fancy computer program?

marco
Savant

Re: funny

Post #11

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Dave: "Bob! I need another brick"

Bob: Qu'est-ce qu'il t'a dit?

Pete: No lo sé

Bob: huh?!
I think they'd have coped had the conversations been restricted to English, French and Spanish.

But you are right, the entire story is amusing and causes laughter today. It surely has no place in a serious book. But then the old writers believed what they were writing. We can laugh.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: If God exists, would It have a sense of humor?

Post #12

Post by onewithhim »

ThePainefulTruth wrote: If so, what would make God smile, so to speak, or laugh?
I believe that God has a sense of humor. Most humans do, and we are made in His image. His Son has a sense of humor also. He found it amusing to walk PAST his disciples when they were in the midst of a storm on the Sea of Galilee. I cracked up when I read that. (Mark 6:48)

Why people present Jesus as lifeless, speaking almost in a monotone, pale and sickly, I don't understand. He was undoubtedly animated, full of life, with a great personality. His Father, Jehovah, is called "the happy God" at I Timothy 1:11. ("Blessed" is often translated as "happy.")

onewithhim
Savant

Post #13

Post by onewithhim »

marco wrote:
ThePainefulTruth wrote: If so, what would make God smile, so to speak, or laugh?

It depends which denomination's God you are discussing. It is, as has been pointed out, odd to use the neuter pronoun and yet in the same sentence personify God as possibly smiling, laughing and talking.

He created the mayfly with no mouth. That's funny.
He gave the skunk an obnoxious smell and let the platypus lay eggs. He created some humans with inclinations to destroy other humans, through some brain defect. And he asked for heaps of male foreskins. He talked his son into undertaking a suicide mission and called it love.

He has a dark sense of humour.
I disagree that God created any humans with inclinations to destroy other humans, and when He created humans they were perfect---no defect at all. They were inclined to do the right thing. The defect was brought on by the humans themselves when they chose to rebel against their loving Father.

"They have acted ruinously on their own part; they are not his children, the defect is their own." (Deut.32:5)

His Son didn't have a problem with coming to Earth to redeem mankind. I imagine that he volunteered right away.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #14

Post by onewithhim »

marco wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:

The one certain reality of life is that pain and suffering and sorrow are the true reality for every person throughout humanity, and so the Father God is the one who suffers the most.

How terribly sad for him. Perhaps man should try harder to conceal sadness when death occurs to avoid divine upset. It may eventually occur to the weeping God that he can do something about it.
It occurred to him many thousands of years ago. He has set a day on which he will bring suffering and pain to an end. Why should we complain because it is not a day that we approve of?

"He has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and he has furnished a guarantee to all men in that he has resurrected him from the dead." (Acts 17:31)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
marco wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:

The one certain reality of life is that pain and suffering and sorrow are the true reality for every person throughout humanity, and so the Father God is the one who suffers the most.

How terribly sad for him. Perhaps man should try harder to conceal sadness when death occurs to avoid divine upset. It may eventually occur to the weeping God that he can do something about it.

It occurred to him many thousands of years ago. He has set a day on which he will bring suffering and pain to an end. Why should we complain because it is not a day that we approve of?

"He has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and he has furnished a guarantee to all men in that he has resurrected him from the dead." (Acts 17:31)
Yes, "by a man that He has resurrected".