Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Does that (The Bible) settle it?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

JP Cusick quoted:
The Bible tells us that Jesus died (went up to heaven) 40 days after the crucifixion.

See here in Acts 1:3-9

QUOTE: " ... he shewed himself alive after his passion ... being seen of them forty days ... " KJV

He survived the cross but He was still severely injured, so 40 days is a long time in pain before He dies.

That settles it - that point is finished.

Paul, a non-witness, wrote the original Resurrection story for people living over 800 miles away in Corinth. Paul’s epistle has no Ascension story

The gospel of Mark, a Syrian and not a witness, was written about 70 AD. It’s original “shorter ending� contains no Ascension account. ( In the early 2nd century the “longer ending� was added which included an Ascension account so Mark’s gospel would harmonize with Matthew and Luke.)

The last chapter of Luke (written about 80 AD) contains the Erasmus story which has Jesus return to Jerusalem and ascend the same day he was resurrected.

Finally Acts 1:3 says that Jesus really ascended 40 days after he was raised from the dead.

So the “Bible tells us� four vastly differing versions of the same story.

Were these all “God breathed?� Or can we consider at least three to be uninspired stories? Why not all four? ;)

Does “That settle it�?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Does that (The Bible) settle it?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

Since the Bible is jumbled on this and other matters, it's more like "the Church settles it".

To many uncritical believers, anyway.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

polonius.advice wrote:

Are you serious? Paul’s Corinthians, the Book of Acts, the Gospel of Luke, and the Gospel of Mark all differ on this point.

But what DID happen to Christ? If he didn't precede Yuri Gagarin into space where was he buried? When he was crucified and left to decay, when was the plot to make him ascend into the heavens compiled?

Or did those who had intended to set Christ up and rescue him have the text written already? The given story is incredible. The real story would make a wonderful film, if we ever heard it.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

[Replying to polonius.advice]

I went a couple of rounds with the author of the quote from above. My personal opinion (I claim it as nothing more than that) is that there is nothing to this. It is yet another in a long line of “theories� about the life of Jesus that is built on exaggerating the importance of some verses while suppressing the importance of verses that contradict the theory. In this case, the theory is also built on rather large leap of logic that is not justified by the text.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

marco wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:

Are you serious? Paul’s Corinthians, the Book of Acts, the Gospel of Luke, and the Gospel of Mark all differ on this point.

But what DID happen to Christ? If he didn't precede Yuri Gagarin into space where was he buried? When he was crucified and left to decay, when was the plot to make him ascend into the heavens compiled?

Or did those who had intended to set Christ up and rescue him have the text written already? The given story is incredible. The real story would make a wonderful film, if we ever heard it.
RESPONSE:

It was the Roman practice to bury the bodies of those crucified in a common grave. Alternately, they just left the body on the cross and let it decay.

If the family was able to get the remains, they buried it in the family grave.