The Satan problem

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

The Satan problem

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

One issue I have with the Christian bible story is the idea of Satan. Now obvious contradictions aside. Why would a being that supposedly has been in the presence of God knows God's powers ever rebel against him to begin with? Satan should already know the conclusion of such a choice because we know the conclusion. The story already has an ending. There is no scenario in which Satan wins. There is no end game. The utter futility of such a character makes him unrealistic to begin with.

How can the character of Satan be anything other than an ill conceived boogeyman fabricated by either disengious, deleduded, or mistaken bible writers?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #31

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 19 by bluethread]
Sure, HaSatan would have more reasons not to rebel. However, those reasons are not absolute. There is no reason that I know of that superior beings can not be as deluded in their views as inferior beings.
The level of delusion we are talking about here is equivalent to a quadriplegic thinking he can become an NFL quarterback. For whatever reason Satan would go against God it is irrelevant for the fact that Satan fails. This leaves us with a deeply and fundamentally flawed character. It makes no sense for God to create such a being in the first place even if the being was originally designed to help God.
It appears that your fall back position in nearly every argument is the omnibenevolent omnipotent wormhole. I have repeatedly said that I do not think that Adonai is omnibenevolent. Just because you can't think of a reason for creating a lifeform that is superior to mankind and yet does not believe Adonai is indeed omnipotent, does not mean that there is none. One reason is the hypothetical presented by Paul, (Rom. 9:22-24) "What if Elohiem, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— even us, whom He also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?" After all there are many here who are superior to many others who believe in Adonai, however, if Adonai does really exist, those would be such a cases.

William
Savant

Re: The Devil We Know

Post #32

Post by William »

[Replying to post 29 by ttruscott]

Those are really lame-ass reasons which serve lame-ass belief systems.

Here's a thought. Perhaps Satan figured out what a real GOD would be like, and thus what your religions idea of GOD isn't.
Perhaps Satan is a no more than a religious metaphor representing those who can figure out lamb-ass belief systems and ask the questions which challenge the assumed authority of such religions. That seems more likely.

But sure - you are welcome to your beliefs just like everyone is welcome to theirs. we follow after that which our egos are most like.
Last edited by William on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Re: The Devil We Know

Post #33

Post by William »

ttruscott wrote:
William wrote:In relation to Panentheism, specifically with the notion that GOD is no more or less than the Earth Entity - a conscious self aware creative intelligent being who has existed in Its present form (the planet) far longer than humans and their religious ideas of 'what GOD is', have existed.

Earth Entity as a being who has been developing creatively for far longer than the human form has exited, and is - for all intent and purpose - a GOD - even be that as it may, a GOD in the making.

Do you name this Earth Entity? Perhaps Gia or Ba'al Asherah?
It seems so important to some that GODs require names which humans give to them.

Truth is, there is no other GOD which can be seen to exist. Earth Entity is as apt a name as any.
I have no doubt that all cultural mythology to do with interacting with GOD, have their source in the Earth Entity. They may not retell what exactly happened and probably have a human spin on them, - yarns are spun after all - but the Earth Entity is the only being who can play the roles.

So yes, your YHWH is among the 'names' given to this GOD.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #34

Post by OnceConvinced »

William wrote: [Replying to post 29 by ttruscott]

Those are really lame-ass reasons which serve lame-ass belief systems.

:warning: Moderator Warning

Uncivil and inflammatory comments like this are not necessary. Simply just leave them out and let your other words speak for themselves.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Aetixintro »

I think Satan, the Lord of Hell, makes sense in that Satan represents the power that lures you to "blow off your humanity" by doing hideous crime! Thus Satan is a useful instrument of description.

On the other side, we have God, Lord of Heaven, pulling humanity toward goodness and eternity of Heaven by urging people to make good use of their beings until they "return".

Really, I see no "battle" as such because God and Satan are just powers at very different ends, the moral and immoral ends, Heaven (full humanity after Purgatory) and Hell (having become monsters, less of humanity).

Good? :)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!