Placing Human-Life Value on an Embryo. Is it logical?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Placing Human-Life Value on an Embryo. Is it logical?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Many Christians take the stance that from the moment of conception an embryo/zygote/whatever has become a human life and has "human life value". Aborting it would be wrong because its "human life value" outweighs the issues of the woman who has to go through the pregnancy.

Is this logical? Can you be an atheist and still place "human life value" on an embryo? Can you be an atheist and be pro-life?

(pro-life is the politically neutral term for being against abortion in all or most cases).

Peter
Guru

Re: Placing Human-Life Value on an Embryo. Is it logical?

Post #51

Post by Peter »

JP Cusick wrote:
Peter wrote: Personally I'm of the opinion that parents should be able to legally abort their offspring until they get a job and leave the home.
That is one of the benefits of being an Atheist and a non believer and for being morally bankrupt.

Because then the murder of babies can be justified without considering any of those conditions from a God who declares value for those same babies.
For gods sake I was kidding! Well, mostly... lol
BTW what an incredibly nasty, unchristian thing to say about someone you know nothing about. I would pit my morals against yours any day of the week. :)
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #52

Post by JP Cusick »

Peter wrote: For gods sake I was kidding! Well, mostly... lol
BTW what an incredibly nasty, unchristian thing to say about someone you know nothing about. I would pit my morals against yours any day of the week. :)
I judge according to the words.

Our words - the words that we speak - demonstrate exactly who and what we are.

"Out of the mouth the heart speaks."

It applies to every person.

Even if one speaks lies - then that demonstrates who and what they are.

And that saying includes that a person says one thing but means some thing different is not true, and to say deep down the person is not that way - no - because deep down in our heart we really are what we speak. FYI.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Peter
Guru

Post #53

Post by Peter »

[Replying to post 52 by JP Cusick]

I suspect you judged me on one word - Atheist. I thought god fearing folk weren't suppose to judge.
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #54

Post by JP Cusick »

Peter wrote: I suspect you judged me on one word - Atheist. I thought god fearing folk weren't suppose to judge.
I really judged you based on your comment #49 where you said that you support the murder of babies by abortion.

And it is a wrong doctrine that people or Christians are not to judge because that is based on a very wrongly interpreted text from the Gospel.

The text in Matthew 7:1-3, is really saying that if we do not judge then we will not be judged, and for people who want to do right then we want to be judged, as we want to remove the beam from our own eye, and so we are told to judge rightfully.

Only the unrepentant sinners clinging to their guilt - do not want to be judged.

John 7:24 ~ " Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. " KJV

There is also another reality that the human brain is a judging machine, because our brain makes constant judgments all day long, and as such is it completely impossible for any person to stop judging.
SIGNATURE:

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #55

Post by Bust Nak »

JP Cusick wrote: John 7:24 ~ " Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."
What do you think you were doing, if not judging according to the appearance, when you took an obvious joke on face value?

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #56

Post by JP Cusick »

Bust Nak wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: John 7:24 ~ " Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."
What do you think you were doing, if not judging according to the appearance, when you took an obvious joke on face value?
Judging by appearance means by a person's ethnicity or race or color or gender or even by their avatar - because a person speaking words or posting comments onto an internet forum is not their appearance.

I do not know how to emphasize enough that our words are what we are - our own words are the true expression of our self.

As to humor and joking about abortion and about the murder of babies - then that kind of comedy demonstrates what kind of people you are.

It is absurd to think that any person is hiding their true self as unseen behind their outspoken words - because the reality is the exact opposite.
SIGNATURE:

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #57

Post by Bust Nak »

JP Cusick wrote: Judging by appearance means by a person's ethnicity or race or color or gender or even by their avatar - because a person speaking words or posting comments onto an internet forum is not their appearance.
Not so when the comment in question is obviously not representive of their view.
I do not know how to emphasize enough that our words are what we are - our own words are the true expression of our self.
Emphasize it all you like, you missed an obvious joke.
As to humor and joking about abortion and about the murder of babies - then that kind of comedy demonstrates what kind of people you are.
You should have said that the first time round.
It is absurd to think that any person is hiding their true self as unseen behind their outspoken words - because the reality is the exact opposite.
It isn't though, when the words is spoken in jest.

KenRU
Guru

Post #58

Post by KenRU »

JP Cusick wrote:
KenRU wrote: Do you have any evidence to back up such a claim?
Look up the racist origin of "Planned Parenthood" because that covers the topic rather decisively.

Link here = A collection of quotes by Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood
Just a point of clarification. Politifact investigated Ben Carson's claim that birth control pioneer Margaret Sanger "believed that people like me should be eliminated."

They rated it False.

"While Sanger indeed supported the eugenics movement, substantial evidence shows that she was not racist and in fact worked closely with black leaders and health care professionals."

Link: http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire ... cans-shou/

all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg