Jesus never had "Christ" as proper name. Did he?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Jesus never had "Christ" as proper name. Did he?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Jesus never had "Christ" as his proper name. Did he? Please
Regards

_________
This thread was visualized from post # 33 by friend Willum in the thread "Jesus was not a Christian ".

Willum
Savant

Re: Jesus never had "Christ" as proper name. Did h

Post #31

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 27 by bjs]

BJS BJS BJS

I realize that Jesus has been overthrown like a statue of Saddam Hussein, but you really must read the parts of the posts that are germane, and not only the parts you can mis-construe.

Yes, Jesus probably didn't even exist; that addresses all paradoxes neatly. But if, for the sake of argument, we assume the Bible is true:

Jesus came down in favor of adultery in the famous stoning story. Which if you read it prima facie, means the adulterers got away scott free. In the face of a commandment.
Jesus advocated not only touching coins that would make a Jews unclean, tribute pennies with GRAVEN IMAGES OF GODS ON THEM, in violation of the Graven Idols and false gods commandments, but then insisted that these be rendered in tribute to the false god Caesar, whom in his famous speech was placed before God.
He advocating eating unclean foods (Christians eat pork, by way of evidence).
Now you may have excellent excuses why these weren't violations of Judaism, but Jews of the 1st century, certainly had a better understanding of Judaism than YOU, and they crucified him, in preference of a known criminal.

For these reasons and more, you must acknowledge Jesus did not practice Judaism, his methods are closer to many other religions, than they are to Judaism.
You have told us plainly that you cannot provide ANY evidence to back up the claims you made. We can therefore conclude your earlier claims about Jesus were simply things that you made up, correct?
While I sympathize with the loss of a deity, I use the Bible as my source to provide my claims about Jesus - not practicing Judaism, and historical records and reality to prove he didn't exist.

You see, even if I give the Bible the benefit of the doubt, it still obviates Jesus.
Please do not make me submit a report.

bluethread
Savant

Post #32

Post by bluethread »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 19 by bluethread]

I wasn't criticizing your writing, but your reading comprehension, as well you know. It is clear you are simply denying being a fish caught on a hook, and are trying to segue away from the points that have been made. We've been at this impasse before.

If these are your techniques, the debate is over, and you should confront the truth you are unaccustomed to.
What hook are you referring to? A verse was presented that you believe is saying one thing, but , if one looks at actual word used, the topic of the chapter, and the culture of the area and the time, it is clearly not saying that. If you find the techniques of standard literary criticism, that I and nearly all academics are accustomed to, to be a problem, then I would submit that any debate related to any historical or literary document would probably be difficult for you to understand.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #33

Post by paarsurrey1 »

marco wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Jesus never had "Christ" as his proper name. Did he? Please
Regards
We are told that the Son of Man has nowhere to lie down or some such thing. He is also nameless. It is amazing that such an important historical figure bears only the titles:
"Saviour" -Jesus and "Anointed" - Christ

Who was he? We have no idea. He suddenly appeared when he was thirty and stayed on Earth for three more years, bearing the title: King of the Jews, which he wasn't.
What name his mother used to call when Jesus was an infant, please?
Regards

Willum
Savant

Post #34

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 33 by paarsurrey1]

In Luke 1:26 Gabriel said he would be the most high, therefore it was reasonable for her to call him Jesus as the angel said, and in translating from Greek, she would have called him "Christ," Jesus means "anointed," and also savior. Except she didn't speak Greek, so she named him in Aramaic.

So, yes, his name on Earth, in Greek, would have been "Christ," as it is today, and also "God saves," or Jesus, identically.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #35

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 33 by paarsurrey1]

In Luke 1:26 Gabriel said he would be the most high, therefore it was reasonable for her to call him Jesus as the angel said, and in translating from Greek, she would have called him "Christ," Jesus means "anointed," and also savior. Except she didn't speak Greek, so she named him in Aramaic.

So, yes, his name on Earth, in Greek, would have been "Christ," as it is today, and also "God saves," or Jesus, identically.
Luke
Did Luke ever meet Jesus and or Mary and or Gabriel, personally, please?
Regards

Willum
Savant

Post #36

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 35 by paarsurrey1]

You can't meet imaginary people. They don't meet each other.
What are you talking about?

marco
Savant

Post #37

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

Regards

Apart from Gabriel's message that Mary would be divinely impregnated and some random tale of Christ straying away from his parents to the Temple we have no information about Christ prior to his public life at 30. You ask a lot of questions: do you have any answers yourself?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #38

Post by paarsurrey1 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
marco wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Jesus never had "Christ" as his proper name. Did he? Please
Regards
We are told that the Son of Man has nowhere to lie down or some such thing. He is also nameless. It is amazing that such an important historical figure bears only the titles:
"Saviour" -Jesus and "Anointed" - Christ

Who was he? We have no idea. He suddenly appeared when he was thirty and stayed on Earth for three more years, bearing the title: King of the Jews, which he wasn't.
Regards
Jesus is the name non-existence in Hebrew or in Aramaic. Arabic language is a sister of these languages and it mention it:

[19:30] Then she pointed to him. They said, ‘How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?’
[19:31] He said, ‘I am a servant of Allah. He has given me the Book, and made me a Prophet;
[19:32] ‘And He has made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and has enjoined upon me Prayer and almsgiving so long as I live;
[19:33] ‘And He has made me dutiful toward my mother, and He has not made me haughty and unblessed.
[19:34] ‘And peace was on me the day I was born, and peace there will be on me the day I shall die, and the day I shall be raised up to life again.’
[19:35] Such was Jesus*, son of Mary**. This is a statement of the truth about which they doubt.
[19:36] It does not befit the Majesty of Allah to take unto Himself a son. Holy is He. When He decrees a thing, He says to it, ‘Be!’, and it is.
[19:37] Said Jesus: ‘Surely, Allah is my Lord, and your Lord. So worship Him alone; this is the right path.’
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 9&verse=31

*In Arabic text it is "ʿīs�" or "Isa" in West it became Jesus and in lost tribes of Israel some of whom lived in and around India it became "Yus-Asif" or "Yuz Asaph". Even the proper names change sometimes from region to region of the world.
**In Arabic text it is Maryam in West it became Mary or "Merium" and in lost tribes of Israel some of whom lived in and around India it became "Murree" .

Does it help, please?
Regards

Willum
Savant

Post #39

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 38 by paarsurrey1]

Christ and Jesus are synonymous.

So, yes, in one sense people called him 'Christ,' in so much as the would call him 'Jesus.'

His given name was Ioshua or Eyhosooah, which is neither Christ nor Jesus, or recognizable as such.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight