Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Euthanasia: Compassion or Contempt?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

It appears that at least in some circumstances euthanasia and "the right to die" are very popular nowadays. Modern medicine has advanced to the point where it is able to preserve life that would never have endured in ages past. While most people might agree that the preservation of human life is the right thing to do, others would argue that some people in some circumstances would literally be better off dead. The people who might be seen this way are those who are very sick, injured, or comatose. They are often seen as hopeless cases whose lives are not worth living.

I do not support any kind of killing of such people, and neither do I support any kind of "assistance" given to them to take their own lives. What I do support is improved ways to enable the disabled to live full, active, and happy lives. If anybody experiences pain, then we need to place our resources in pain-management research, medication, and therapy--and not in having them die.

So what do you think? Is euthanasia a "good death" based in compassion, or is it more an act of contempt inflicted upon those we do not value because we are too selfish to care?

I welcome any opinions on this issue and look forward to a lively discussion!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Euthanasia: Compassion or Contempt?

Post #51

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 50 by Bust Nak]
Not seeing any black swans therefore probably no black swans is a very different thing to falsifying black swans.
Who said there are no black swans?
See above.
I must need glasses! Either that or you posted no direct quotation of any logical fallacy on my part. Your logical fallacy is the classic straw-man fallacy. You are putting words into my posts that are not there.
You do realize that black swans are the classic example use for in explaining falsifiability, for how not to jump to conclusion, right?
Let me spell it out for you: I NEVER said that there are no black swans, and I NEVER said there are no cases of euthanasia that can be proved to be ethical! What I HAVE been saying is that I do not know any cases in which it is appropriate to trash any person's life. I am skeptical that any such cases exist.

OK? Please read the red text above especially the bold type until you get it. It's not hard to understand.
But why assume the worse?
Because the worse, death, cannot be undone.
Professionals are less prone to stupid mistakes than lay people, no?
You may wish to consult a medical-malpractice attorney for an answer to that question.
Is that distrust specific to euthanasia clinics, or any medical facility?
Well, I've learned to use my head about any medical care, but any euthanasia clinic I would trust no farther than I can toss the headstones of its patrons.
... why would you imagine those in euthanasia clinics would be act any less professionally than others?
Maybe I think they'd be "less professional" based on what you've posted on this thread.
It is the easy way out, that doesn't imply I don't envisage death like you described.
How do you see death? I'm an atheist, and I don't believe in any life but this one. That's why life is so precious. You can't buy it in a thrift store or a rummage sale. I wouldn't throw out a diamond ring, and I wouldn't trash a life.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #52

Post by Bust Nak »

Jagella wrote: Who said there are no black swans?
You did.
I must need glasses! Either that or you posted no direct quotation of any logical fallacy on my part. Your logical fallacy is the classic straw-man fallacy. You are putting words into my posts that are not there.
Glasses can only aid your sight, not your memory. I am afraid.
Let me spell it out for you: I NEVER said that there are no black swans...

Not in those words, you did say white swans appear to falsify black swans.

OK? Please read the red text above especially the bold type until you get it. It's not hard to understand.

That much is easy to get, but that wasn't all you said though was it? You said real-life examples of people you know appear to falsify the notion that there is a "good" death.

Because the worse, death, cannot be undone.

The stakes are higher, sure, but why would that mean these professional are less trustworthy?

You may wish to consult a medical-malpractice attorney for an answer to that question.

I don't see how. Instances of medical medical-malpractice does not say one way or the other of how prone professionals are to stupid mistake compared to the general population.

Well, I've learned to use my head about any medical care, but any euthanasia clinic I would trust no farther than I can toss the headstones of its patrons.

Okay. So a second opinion from another independent medical professionals, unaffiliated with euthanasia clinic, about the mental condition of someone seeking assisted suicide, would conceive you that they mean what they say?

Maybe I think they'd be "less professional" based on what you've posted on this thread.

That's not very specific.

How do you see death?

With terror and regret. That might change when I am ready to die.

I'm an atheist, and I don't believe in any life but this one. That's why life is so precious. You can't buy it in a thrift store or a rummage sale. I wouldn't throw out a diamond ring, and I wouldn't trash a life.

But why would you want to ban someone else from throwing away their diamond ring? When are you going to address my point that value is relative?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 52 by Bust Nak]
You did.
Sorry, Bust, but your posts are just getting too retarded to respond to. You love death, and I can't argue with that.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #54

Post by Bust Nak »

Jagella wrote: Sorry, Bust, but your posts are just getting too retarded to respond to.
Thanks for the ride, I was really enjoying this conversation. My usual opponents don't normally stick around for a satisfying end to a debate.
You love death, and I can't argue with that.
All I am really saying some deaths are better than others, you accepted that much. Where we disagree is which deaths are better ones and which ones are worse. I prefer quick timely ones, you prefer long dragged out ones. You want to characterize that as loving death, that's on you. I will do you the courtesy of not responding in kind.

otseng
Savant

Post #55

Post by otseng »

Jagella wrote: Sorry, Bust, but your posts are just getting too retarded to respond to. You love death, and I can't argue with that.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Saying that a post is retarded is not civil. Also, avoid making generalizations about another.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.