The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: The kingdom of God.

Post #341

Post by paarsurrey1 »

tam wrote: [Replying to post 327 by paarsurrey1]

The Kingdom of God is mentioned in the OT. One example:

For the kingdom is [the LORD'S], And He is the ruler over the nations. Psalm 22:28

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Sorry, Psalm 22:28 is:

28.All the ends of the earth shall remember and return to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall prostrate themselves before You.

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo ... ter-22.htm

Regards

_______
"Historical-Critical Analysis"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_22

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #342

Post by brianbbs67 »

"Thy kingdom, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven"

That right there should tell you his Kingdom is not here yet. Is God's will done here? Yes, he works around our will. But, "our collective will" is still causing war and suffering..so no Kingdom established as ruling yet.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #343

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 337 by Checkpoint]

Well I was talking about the government. Hope that clears that up.

Good day to you,

JW
The kingdom has a government, yes, which presently rules in the midst of its enemies.

That is the "now" I mentioned.

The "not yet" aspect will come when Kitg Jesus returns .

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #344

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote:
Yes, I agree Christ hasn't yet returned. When he does he will destroy the wicked, that is called in the bible Harmageddon. Then his government will be the ONLY one that exists! What a joy that will be! just imagine, no more wars, no more worldly "politics" ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT and an end to all suffering on this our planet earth.

All thanks to that government!

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #345

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Yes, I agree Christ hasn't yet returned. When he does he will destroy the wicked, that is called in the bible Harmageddon. Then his government will be the ONLY one that exists! What a joy that will be! just imagine, no more wars, no more worldly "politics" ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT and an end to all suffering on this our planet earth.

All thanks to that government!

JW
All of the above.

Come, Lord Jesus!

But in the meantime, the kingdom continues to function and govern, in the world but not of the world, as it as done since Jesus sat down at the right hand of the Father.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #346

Post by Checkpoint »

brianbbs67 wrote: "Thy kingdom, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven"

That right there should tell you his Kingdom is not here yet. Is God's will done here? Yes, he works around our will. But, "our collective will" is still causing war and suffering..so no Kingdom established as ruling yet.
Yes, the kingdom is God's will being done here now in and through the lives of His people in an alien world, and later in its full manifestation when Jesus finally deals with and ends that alien world.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #347

Checkpoint wrote:God's will being done here now in and through the lives of His people in an alien world.
Thank you, yes, we are doing our best to fulfill the commission God has given to us. It is a privilege to comfort people with this message.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #348

Post by brianbbs67 »

Checkpoint wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: "Thy kingdom, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven"

Yes, the kingdom is God's will being done here now in and through the lives of His people in an alien world, and later in its full manifestation when Jesus finally deals with and ends that alien world.

God's will always will be done. He hasn't come and re-established His Kingdom yet, was my point. If so, no strife. I don't know why JW are hung up on the first ww? Doesn't God say , he comes as a thief? No one knows the hour? Anyone who says he does lies?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #349

brianbbs67 wrote: God's will always will be done. He hasn't come and re-established His Kingdom yet, was my point. If so, no strife. I don't know why JW are hung up on the first ww? Doesn't God say , he comes as a thief? No one knows the hour? Anyone who says he does lies?

Hello,

I'm one of Jehovah's Witntesses: Just to clarify, we are not "hung up" on the first world war at all. 1914 marks for us the date when the God's Kingdom was established in heaven. We believe the God's Kingdom to be a real government that was established in heaven. Jesus is the king and he has been ruling in heaven since that time.

You are right, we do not know when Jesus will come to take control of the whole planet, killing off the wicked and destroying all human governments so that his own is the only one ruling over the entire planet earth. We simply "keep on the Watch" for the signs Jesus gave for the approach of that "day and hour"!

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

I'm posting this because this illustration because the picture sums up
how we believe the year 1914 marked the "beginning of the end" for this system of things (I believe it to be relevant to the discussion)

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #350

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: God's will always will be done. He hasn't come and re-established His Kingdom yet, was my point. If so, no strife. I don't know why JW are hung up on the first ww? Doesn't God say , he comes as a thief? No one knows the hour? Anyone who says he does lies?

Hello,

I'm one of Jehovah's Witntesses: Just to clarify, we are not "hung up" on the first world war at all. 1914 marks for us the date when the God's Kingdom was established in heaven. We believe the God's Kingdom to be a real government that was established in heaven. Jesus is the king and he has been ruling in heaven since that time.

You are right, we do not know when Jesus will come to take control of the whole planet, killing off the wicked and destroying all human governments so that his own is the only one ruling over the entire planet earth. We simply "keep on the Watch" for the signs Jesus gave for the approach of that "day and hour"!

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

I'm posting this because this illustration because the picture sums up
how we believe the year 1914 marked the "beginning of the end" for this system of things (I believe it to be relevant to the discussion)

I hear you. But , the beginning itself was the beginning of the end. Lots have tried to guess the "Time, Times, And Half a time". No one has. No one will. As God has said.(as i believe He said) I am more concerned with living as He wants me to, than when He comes. Because He is already here(always Is).