Is Jesus the "Truth"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Is Jesus the "Truth"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

When questioned by Pilate, Jesus told him that bearing witness to the Truth was the reason he was born. (John 18.37)

When Pilate asked Jesus "What is truth"? Jesus made no reply.

For debate, why do you suppose that Jesus did not answer with John 14.6 where he says that he himself is the "way, the TRUTH" and the life".?

If indeed Jesus ever actually uttered the words recorded in John 14.6, that is.

Also, Is Jesus "the Truth"? (what does that even mean?)

Or was he born to "bear witness to the truth". If so, does he bear witness to himself?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

psychoslice
Student

Re: > Is Jesus the "Truth"

Post #31

Post by psychoslice »

2timothy316 wrote:
psychoslice wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
psychoslice wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 19 by psychoslice]

He is the creator of all things we know, see and don't see. I would describe Him as Patient, forgiving and tolerant. But, He seems to have His limits. I believe His basic message is, Love. The simplest view I have of the Bible and other writings is be good, do good, forgive others and try with all your might to be as righteous as He is described. Why do I assume male? That is the way He is depicted and seems to describe Himself. Wouldn't matter to me if He was neither or both.
No i can't imagine that, you have only repeated what you have read about him, the bible cannot be used to prove anything, so do you have proof ?.
I can not prove to you my personal interaction with God as you were not there . Some things we have to take on faith( by that I mean recognizing there is something above us all, however you label It) unless He decides to show Himself to you to. No, i do not mean i have seen Him.
I was a Christian for over 20 years and I have felt the same thing as you have, but that is all it was, something I felt, we feel this in anything we love, its all emotional.

What i call god even though i don't like that over used label, is the universe, we are all one with the universe, we are one with this planet, the sun, everything is connected, and everything works beautifully together.
This beautiful universe works because of it's design. The Bible says that the 'heavens of the heavens' [AKA outter space] can't hold God.
Why do we need to reduce this down to a mere belief in a god, that takes away the beauty, I have seen much more beauty in the world since I left my religion. My religion kept me in its hold, bowing down to a man in the sky that very did anything.
Religion and God are not the same thing. While I wouldn't doubt you see more beauty in the world since you left your religion, why do you think you need to leave God behind? Is it possible that your religion was teaching more 'religious things' but not teaching Godly things?
So yes, to me personally religion, or the main stream religion, was a wast of time, but that is how I see it.
I do agree with this. The history of most religions doesn't seem to line up with the book the say they support as the word of God, the Bible. Many things they teach are not supported by the Bible.

Example Doctrine: Wicked people burn forever in Hell.
The Bible says: The dead know nothing of their condition. When we die our thoughts cease. (Ecc 9:5, 6 and Psalm 146:4)

Hypocrisy is a huge problem in many religions. Condemning others all the while doing the same acts themselves. Not to mention all the other scandals.

However, these are human problems. God can't be held accountable for the actions of others. Though in time all those willfully going against God's will, will be held accountable to, not a human religion, but God's Son Jesus. (John 5:22)

So while you might have left your religion, I'd recommend not leaving God. Who's name is Jehovah. (Ps 83:18) Get to know Him through the Bible and give religion a back seat for now. For when people, even in a region where we might even trust the people, yet they have done us wrong or are doing the wrong thing. That is not the time to run away from God but run to Him, like a Father that can help make things right.
I haven't left what you call god, I have become one with the Source of all, I have only dropped second hand words from a second hand book called the bible. I now live one withe the Source, it was always within me, I no longer need the so called bible, it was only a stepping stone.

psychoslice
Student

Post #32

Post by psychoslice »

[Replying to post 31 by psychoslice]

Just want you to know that Jesus or the mythology of Jesus doesn't belong to any belief system, just because you are a Christian doesn't mean you have the monopoly of truth.

The metaphor of the story of the Christ is weaved through many religions, and the story is long before the Christians took hold of it and called it their own.

The story of Christ is and old story, that many beliefs systems had, such as the Hindus, the so called Christians stole their stories and cultured these religion, and then they called every other religion pagan, pure arrogance, and this I can never swallow, its disgusting.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #33

Post by JP Cusick »

psychoslice wrote: Just want you to know that Jesus or the mythology of Jesus doesn't belong to any belief system, just because you are a Christian doesn't mean you have the monopoly of truth.

The metaphor of the story of the Christ is weaved through many religions, and the story is long before the Christians took hold of it and called it their own.

The story of Christ is and old story, that many beliefs systems had, such as the Hindus, the so called Christians stole their stories and cultured these religion, and then they called every other religion pagan, pure arrogance, and this I can never swallow, its disgusting.
It was not a doctrine to follow Jesus the person as the truth - but to follow the truth which always leads to the Christ, and that always leads onward to the Father, and the truth is the way and the life.

Christianity makes the obvious mistake of viewing Jesus the person as the truth, instead of the significance that the truth leads to God (the true God by any name).
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

psychoslice
Student

Post #34

Post by psychoslice »

JP Cusick wrote:
psychoslice wrote: Just want you to know that Jesus or the mythology of Jesus doesn't belong to any belief system, just because you are a Christian doesn't mean you have the monopoly of truth.

It was not a doctrine to follow Jesus the person as the truth - but to follow the truth which always leads to the Christ, and that always leads onward to the Father, and the truth is the way and the life.

Christianity makes the obvious mistake of viewing Jesus the person as the truth, instead of the significance that the truth leads to God (the true God by any name).
Yes can agree with that, but then what id God, that is not quoting some book ?.

Monta
Guru

Post #35

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 33 by JP Cusick]

"It was not a doctrine to follow Jesus the person as the truth - but to follow the truth which always leads to the Christ, and that always leads onward to the Father, and the truth is the way and the life.

Christianity makes the obvious mistake of viewing Jesus the person as the truth, instead of the significance that the truth leads to God (the true God by any name)."

Yes, as he said - my words are spirit and they are life, but all this was
happening in the person of Jesus the Christ - his humanity and his divinity.
Would you agree with this?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: Is Jesus the "Truth"

Post #36

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Elijah John wrote: When questioned by Pilate, Jesus told him that bearing witness to the Truth was the reason he was born. (John 18.37)

When Pilate asked Jesus "What is truth"? Jesus made no reply.

For debate, why do you suppose that Jesus did not answer with John 14.6 where he says that he himself is the "way, the TRUTH" and the life".?

If indeed Jesus ever actually uttered the words recorded in John 14.6, that is.

Also, Is Jesus "the Truth"? (what does that even mean?)

Or was he born to "bear witness to the truth". If so, does he bear witness to himself?
When questioned by Pilate, Jesus told him that bearing witness to the Truth was the reason he was born. (John 18.37)
I agree with one here.
The truth in teachings and Word Revealed on Moses, Jesus was a Jew and a subordinate prophet/messenger to Moses. Jesus was to set the Judaism people on the true teaching given to Moses by YHWH/Allah and this was his mission:

[98:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[98:2] Those who disbelieve from among the People of the Book and the idolaters would not desist from disbelief until there came to them the clear evidence —
[98:3] A Messenger from Allah, reciting unto them the pure Scriptures.
[98:4] Therein are lasting commandments.
[98:5] And those to whom the Book was given did not become divided until after clear evidence had come to them.
[98:6] And they were not commanded but to serve Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, and being upright, and to observe Prayer, and pay the Zakat. And that is the religion of the people of the right path.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 98&verse=0

Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #37

Post by JP Cusick »

psychoslice wrote: Yes can agree with that, but then what id God, that is not quoting some book ?.
I do not find that we know what God is, other than the Father and the Creator.

The scriptures point us to God and can lead us to God but it never takes us all the way there, but it does give us connection with Jesus as the word of God and it teaches about the Spirit world of Angles and Demons, and the Father is just not truly revealed except by attributes and quality.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Monta wrote: Yes, as he said - my words are spirit and they are life, but all this was
happening in the person of Jesus the Christ - his humanity and his divinity.
Would you agree with this?
Yes I agree with that, and Jesus is saying that His words are spiritual and truth and life, and so the person of Jesus was not the bigger point or the message.

John 6:
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
-

The spiritual - not the physical flesh.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

polonius
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by polonius »

Prince wrote: The son of man who is the servant of God is the truth because as Jesus stated he can do nothing on his own. Since we are judged by our words then the servant of God can only speak the truth, God's word, which makes the Son of man in God's eyes the truth.

So the Son of man can truly say, I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me.
RESPONSE:

"Jesus stated he can do nothing on his own."

Then it follows that Jesus is not "co-equal ' with God, and thus cannot be a member of the Holy Trinity, right?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #39

Post by paarsurrey1 »

polonius.advice wrote:
Prince wrote: The son of man who is the servant of God is the truth because as Jesus stated he can do nothing on his own. Since we are judged by our words then the servant of God can only speak the truth, God's word, which makes the Son of man in God's eyes the truth.

So the Son of man can truly say, I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me.
RESPONSE:

Then it follows that Jesus is not "co-equal ' with God, and thus cannot be a member of the Holy Trinity, right?
One's viewpoint is reasonable and right.
Regards

Monta
Guru

Post #40

Post by Monta »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:

RESPONSE:

One's viewpoint is reasonable and right.
Regards
Jesus Mary's son certainly can not be equal with God which He rightly never claimed.
Jesus the Christ is, according the scriptures.