Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witneses in Russia a facing an imminent ban which would criminalize all of Jehovah's Witnessses in the country as "extremists". Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide are presently conducting a letter writing campaign to protest this injustice.
CLATIFICATION 2020: Since the ban of the Watchtower Society was eventually passed in April 2017 thread is specifically to discuss the actual charges mentioned in the State procesution papers and the subseqent arrests under the specific charges under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (RF Criminal Code) of EXTREMISM in Russia.

What is your opinion of this move? Should Jehovah's Witnesses be banned from meeting to pray, read their bibles and sing spiritual songs together?

Do you think such a move could be envisioned elsewhere?

If you are non-religious, would you welcome such measures as a move to ultimately eliminate organized religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by- ... at-of-ban/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #91

Clownboat wrote: I personally don't condone the use of violence.
I'd just like to say thank you for your continued interest in this topic, I can feel how strongly you are against the treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses and it is comforting to know that there are non-witnesses like yourself that are not rejoicing at the violence or looking forward to seeing the JWs "get what they deserve" in prison and/or exile. That's one reason why I post, it shows that there are decent people no matter what their beliefs.

Hare Krishna, Muslims, members of Falun Gong, atheists and other evangelical Christians have also suffered. But only the Witnesses have been officially labeled extremists. They sit on a list of groups that includes the Islamic State and al-Qaeda.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #92

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #93

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witneses in Russia a facing an imminent ban which would criminalize all of Jehovah's Witnessses in the country as "extremists". Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide are presently conducting a letter writing campaign to protest this injustice.

What is your opinion of this move? Should Jehovah's Witnesses be banned from meeting to pray, read their bibles and sing spiritual songs together?

Do you think such a move could be envisioned elsewhere?

If you are non-religious, would you welcome such measures as a move to ultimately eliminate organized religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by- ... at-of-ban/

Jehovah's Witneses in Russia a facing an imminent ban
JW's are peaceful people and harm nobody physically. They try to present their viewpoint with arguments. They may be as far from Jesus' truthful teachings as are other 32000+ denominations of Pauline Christianity. I have visited their Kingdom Hall, many a time, they don't teach much of the Bible, they are fond of reading from Watch-Tower magazine.
I don't see any point in banning them by the Russians or for that matter any other country.
One could always argue with them with reason. Can't one, please?
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Jehovah's Witnesses are a peaceful people, why ban them?

Post #94

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Jehovah's Witnesses a peaceful people, why ban them?
Regards
Last edited by paarsurrey1 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #95

Post by paarsurrey1 »

What is the latest position on the ban, please

Regards

Olla

Post #96

Post by Olla »

[Replying to post 95 by paarsurrey1]

What is importante in many countries:
in the Constitution
FREEDOM of
â–ª speech
â–ª religion
â–ª assembly
â–ª press
â–ª petition the government

but not in Russia

Monta
Guru

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses are a peaceful people, why ban them?

Post #97

Post by Monta »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses a peaceful people, why ban them?
Regards
I wish JW all the luck but can understand Russian stand.
When millions of its people were sent to Gulags and
St. Petersberg citizens were starving to death in ww2,
it was against JW religion to get involved and fight for freedom.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #98

paarsurrey1 wrote: What is the latest position on the ban, please

Regards
Things are, as we expected getting steadily worse for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. A number of our members have been jailed, houses have been burnt, there have been problems for our children in schools, beatings and various other forms of persecution. It seems before long our meetings will be illegal.

All Jehovah's Witnesses pray for the brothers and sisters that they will remain courageous and strong in their faith.

Thanks for asking

JW

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #99

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

Sounds good to me. That would, theoretically, stop a lot of obnoxious door knocking.
While we're at it, let's ban Mormons, too.
And scientologist.
They're all pretty much to same to me.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses are a peaceful people, why ban them?

Post #100

Monta wrote:I wish JW all the luck ...
Thank you, like I say, we are praying for our brothers and sisters that they stay strong. If history is anything to go by, they will. If the plan is to decrease the number of Witnesses in Russia I don't think that will be successful.

JW