Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

JP Cusick
Guru

Deleting the subject line creates problems for search:

Post #1

Post by JP Cusick »

:arrow: Hi all:

I have noticed a widespread trend on here that when people reply with a comment then they delete the "Subject Line" which is above the reply box, and this makes searching your own comments far harder then if you just leave the Line intact.

It does not apply for the OP because we have to create the Subject Line, but every reply comment has the option to delete the words, and it makes your own forum search far harder by deleting, and far easier by leaving the line intact.

FYI.

Go to your own Profile and the "Public" view and then it will say = "Find all posts by JP Cusick" (Find all posts by "your screen name") and if the subject line is deleted then it shows nothing, and if you change the words then the changed words is what it shows for the search results.

It is screwing your own search history by deleting the subject line.

The search criteria is displayed by the "Subject Line" - FYI.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I just now tried an experiment.

If I quote your post, the subject line is automatically copied into the subject heading box.

However, if I simply "Post Reply" (as I did in this post) instead of quoting your post, the subject box comes up empty automatically.

So this post should not have a subject line. Yet I did not delete it. It just doesn't appear when I use the Post Reply button.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JP Cusick
Guru

> Deleting the subject line creates problems for search:

Post #3

Post by JP Cusick »

Divine Insight wrote: I just now tried an experiment.

If I quote your post, the subject line is automatically copied into the subject heading box.

However, if I simply "Post Reply" (as I did in this post) instead of quoting your post, the subject box comes up empty automatically.

So this post should not have a subject line. Yet I did not delete it. It just doesn't appear when I use the Post Reply button.
That is correct, and when replying to yours now then the subject line came up blank and I had to copy paste the words into the subject line.

My point is that it screws our self and screws other people if anyone ever wants to search our comments because the criteria on the search is the subject line.

I make sure not to let it be done in my comments, and just FYI to every one else.
SIGNATURE:

otseng
Savant

Re: Deleting the subject line creates problems for search:

Post #4

Post by otseng »

JP Cusick wrote: Go to your own Profile and the "Public" view and then it will say = "Find all posts by JP Cusick" (Find all posts by "your screen name") and if the subject line is deleted then it shows nothing, and if you change the words then the changed words is what it shows for the search results.
When I look at mine, I do see something in the subject in the search results, even if the post has no subject.

Also, the number of search matches is pretty close to my actual number of posts. So, no results are missing.

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Deleting the subject line creates problems for search:

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

otseng wrote: When I look at mine, I do see something in the subject in the search results, even if the post has no subject.

Also, the number of search matches is pretty close to my actual number of posts. So, no results are missing.
Yes - the search results still show up and nothing else gets deleted.

I only mean that the subject line helps us to do the search because it tells us the thread subject if it is left alone.

It does not harm anything to delete the subject line, except that it makes the search more difficult to follow by subject.

I do not mean this thread as a complaint and I too have reworded the subject line in some of my comments, and it only makes the later searching a bit more difficult and I want any search of my own comments to be as easy as possible.

When I find other comments have it deleted then I just copy / paste the line back into my comment and so that fixes the issue for me, and it fixes it for searching my record too.

I do not see any reason to change the forum coding to stop this from happening - no - I just figure that other people do not realize the consequence of deleting the line as it makes a search of their own comments a bit more difficult.
SIGNATURE: