Tithing requirement.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Tithing requirement.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Most Evangelical churches (and Jehohvah's Witnesses too?) make it clear that it's members are expected to tithe, that is give one tenth of their income to the church.

They seem to ignore historical context of the tithe, that is, it was in effect a tax for the Jewish theocracy of Bible times.

And adding an extra ten percent in modern times seems an unfair extra burden in this day and age of taxes owed to a secular government.

Growing up Roman Catholic, I never heard about the "tithe" it was never expected and no pressure was put upon the parishioner to pledge 1/10th of one's income to the Church.

Sure, donations were always welcome, but they were voluntary. This is to the credit of the RCC.

For debate:

1) Do Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses require the tithe of their membership?
2) In this day and age of secular taxation, is the demand for the tithe outmoded, unfair and unrealistic?
3) Does the expectation or the requirement of the tithe discriminate against those of limited income? (after all, 10% to a poor person is much more difficult that it is to a wealthy person)
4) Would Jesus approve of such discrimination, whether overt or insidious?
5) Do Evangelicals look down on those who cannot or will not tithe? Are they "2nd class" in an Evangelical Church?
6) Is the willingness and/or ability to tithe a source of pride for the Evangelical?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

William
Savant

Post #11

Post by William »

Tithing is just another way of endorsing systems of disparity.

It is an invention created within the framework of the religious sectors of those those systems and hasn't proved to have solved the problem of the existence of the poor. What it does do is assist in keeping it from being too noticeable, or getting out of hand in the form of rebellion.

In that, it serves to keep the balance just giving enough in order that the problem never escalates beyond the ability of the authorities to handle without using brutal force.

It also serves to give those who have more than they need, some solace of self righteousness. A 'feel good', but inevitably, a self serving act in relation to the systems of disparity in which they serve and support - even as being endorsed by their idea of GOD.

It would not surprise me if the stats showed that the greater percentage of tithing goes towards building maintenance, extensions, propaganda (advertising), perks for administrators, etc - all things associated with business practice.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #12

Post by Elijah John »

William wrote: Tithing is just another way of endorsing systems of disparity.

It is an invention created within the framework of the religious sectors of those those systems and hasn't proved to have solved the problem of the existence of the poor. What it does do is assist in keeping it from being too noticeable, or getting out of hand in the form of rebellion.

In that, it serves to keep the balance just giving enough in order that the problem never escalates beyond the ability of the authorities to handle without using brutal force.

It also serves to give those who have more than they need, some solace of self righteousness. A 'feel good', but inevitably, a self serving act in relation to the systems of disparity in which they serve and support - even as being endorsed by their idea of GOD.

It would not surprise me if the stats showed that the greater percentage of tithing goes towards building maintenance, extensions, propaganda (advertising), perks for administrators, etc - all things associated with business practice.
Some "overhead" is certainly understandable, as is the necessity for pastors to make a living. And charity as well.

But the priority seems to be more "spreading the Gospel" (attempting to get others to believe like they do) than it does to alieviate human suffering.

That and making their pastors very, very wealthy.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by bjs »

Elijah John wrote:
William wrote: Tithing is just another way of endorsing systems of disparity.

Some "overhead" is certainly understandable, as is the necessity for pastors to make a living. And charity as well.

But the priority seems to be more "spreading the Gospel" (attempting to get others to believe like they do) than it does to alieviate human suffering.

That and making their pastors very, very wealthy.
According to US Department of Labor, the median pay for full-time pastors is under the $46,000 a year.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes212011.htm/

Compare that with the median wage of all Americans, which is just over $59,000 a year.

I do not think it is accurate to say that churches have a goal of “ making their pastors very, very wealthy.�
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Wootah
Savant

Re: Tithing requirement.

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Elijah John]

Well, my experience was it was easier to give when I was poor than when I was rich.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

Well, my experience was it was easier to give when I was poor than when I was rich.

Why was that, do you think? Is it simple a case of the poor like being poor while the rich like being rich?

Or is there something more to it?

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #16

Post by imhereforyou »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to imhereforyou]

How much do you give now?
Nothing
I'd rather my money go to someplace other than Christianity or the perpetuation of it.
My $ would be better spent elsewhere.
Let those mega-church pastors shell out their 'easy earned dough'.