The pursuit of knowledge and truth, through God, through science, through civil and engaging debate

Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am
So, this is a choice...

Like this post
Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?

In other words, where does our primary loyalty lie, to ourselves, or to our world?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 am
Re: So, this is a choice...

Like this post
[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

It would be better to take a job that pays more to us and improves the world. Of course determining which job pays more is easy. Deciding which helps the "world" is so subjective that it is all but impossible to determine. Your description of what you mean by the words "better" and "world" would be an aid in making such a subjective decision.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:38 am

Like this post
In a general sense, as long as I'm not harming the world I'll take a job that pays more rather than a more philanthropic one. This assumes that both are equally enjoyable.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 4: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Like this post
2ndRateMind wrote:

Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?

In other words, where does our primary loyalty lie, to ourselves, or to our world?

Best wishes, 2RM.

It's fantasy if not narcissism to imagine that one can improve the world.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 5: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Like this post
Wootah wrote:

2ndRateMind wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.

I strongly disagree! The pen is as powerful today as before. Morally, the World has moved forward tremendously! Just check out history for voting rights, for immigration, for aid work, for implementation of human rights into actual legislation etc. However, as with everything else, there are bad writers and there are good writers. It's what you make out of it. Leaving people to Atheism isn't exactly what I intend to do. It is the battle for people's hearts and minds and as before, if you practice what you preach you gain ground with (the right) people! Cool

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 6: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Like this post
Aetixintro wrote:

Wootah wrote:

2ndRateMind wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.

I strongly disagree! The pen is as powerful today as before. Morally, the World has moved forward tremendously! Just check out history for voting rights, for immigration, for aid work, for implementation of human rights into actual legislation etc. However, as with everything else, there are bad writers and there are good writers. It's what you make out of it. Leaving people to Atheism isn't exactly what I intend to do. It is the battle for people's hearts and minds and as before, if you practice what you preach you gain ground with (the right) people! Cool

If you want to see recent history Niall Ferguson has a brief history of the 20th century on his youtube channel. It might change your mind a little.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 7: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Like this post
From the OP:

Quote:

'Pends on if I take me the job that pays so much I can help to improve the world and still get me a grab of the pretty thing there.

Quote:

To myself, as a matter of if I ain't here to help it, I can't help the world.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 8: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Like this post
2ndRateMind wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.

If the job pays more, it could make me happier and that makes my world better.
How it impacts others? Guess it depends on the job. My current job? I don't much care how it impacts others as it's not an important job for the world by any means

Goto top, bottom

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter