Atheist finds the truth!

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Atheist finds the truth!

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I was moved by this personal experience that found the truth because he had an open mind.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017171
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: Atheist finds the truth!

Post #2

Post by Kenisaw »

JehovahsWitness wrote: I was moved by this personal experience that found the truth because he had an open mind.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017171
So those that became atheists after being raised religious don't have an open mind? Nice slant JW.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Atheist finds the truth!

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

From what I read, I find the opposite of an open mind. This individual started asking hard questions about life and ended his search the instant he met someone who claimed to have the answers. An person with an open mind would have continued their search for some time rather than accepting the very limited and closed view of the very first answer they received.

I get the impression that this individual jumped at the first answer that provided emotional comfort. An open mind would consider the fact that they were in an emotionally vulnerable state and those claiming to have answers would pounce on this opportunity to provide the comfort they sought rather than a rationally satisfying consideration of life's difficulties. Accepting this answer closed down this individuals thought process rather than opening it to other possibilities.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

This is very typical of testimonies about how people become Christians. Often they have hit rock bottom and have had a gutsful of the rut they are in, so it's only natural that as soon as something positive comes along they will grasp a hold of it.

The guy says he was living a life of fear and anxiety. It's only natural that as soon as someone introduces him to something that appears to give a future and a hope, he's going to grab a hold of it as tight as he can.

I agree, with Tcg, this is not a guy with an open mind. He appears to have just jumped aboard the first bus that came along. This was a guy desperate for some kind of hope and a JW latched onto that desperation and managed to lure him in.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

This is a totally unimpressive testimony.

It's simply a story of a man who gives up at the first sign of trouble. At first he was passionate about communism but at the first sign that it might be difficult to implement in reality what does he do? He runs off and becomes a musician instead. And then to make matters worse he abandons his own moral values. In other words, he even gives up on being true to himself.

What a looser.

He then becomes extremely depressed and vulnerable which makes him the perfect target for religious evangelism. He then bumps into a Jehovah's Witness who fills him full of religious propaganda.

He then cites Daniel Chapter 2 as accurate prophesy that has been fulfilled which is absolutely false. I just read Daniel Chapter 2 and there's no way that can be claimed to be any kind of accurate description of reality.

Apparently this guy was disillusioned and has turned to religion now. So he went from being a proponent of communism, to becoming a musician, to abandoning his own personal sense of morality, to now embracing an ancient religion based on a totally unsupportable claim that the text of the religion supposedly predicted something.

Not impressive at all.

He even ultimately confesses:
"It appealed to me that this prospect is open to all individuals who endeavor to live up to God’s standards of conduct as explained in the Bible."
And then he says this:
"I am no longer fearful of life and anxious about the future. I feel part of a worldwide family of fellow believers, one that enjoys real peace and unity. Within this family we treat one another as equals. That is something I have believed in and wanted to achieve all my life."
Obviously he found a religious group that gives him comfort.

And he even confesses that this is what he wanted all his life.

So his incentive to join this group is crystal clear.

Claiming that he found "truth" is absurd. He simply found a group of people that he feels will accept him and his desire for communism.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

Peace to you!

Sadly, I must disagree that this atheist found the truth. We can know he did not, because he does not mention the Truth even once in his entire written testimony.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

If he had indeed found the Truth, would he not mention the Truth (Christ) at least once in his testimony?

Instead of bearing witness to Christ and speaking about how Christ (as the Truth) transformed his life, the man instead states that the Bible (and the meetings and the JW organization) transformed his life. And those things may indeed have transformed his life... but that does not make those things the Truth.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

tam wrote: Peace to you!

Sadly, I must disagree that this atheist found the truth. We can know he did not, because he does not mention the Truth even once in his entire written testimony.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

If he had indeed found the Truth, would he not mention the Truth (Christ) at least once in his testimony?

Instead of bearing witness to Christ and speaking about how Christ (as the Truth) transformed his life, the man instead states that the Bible (and the meetings and the JW organization) transformed his life. And those things may indeed have transformed his life... but that does not make those things the Truth.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Good point.

In fact, you have just proven that all Jehovah's Witnesses are then necessarily in the same boat with this guy because they didn't notice this as well.

So Jehovah's Witnesses are all lost souls apparently, no better than those heathen atheists.

This guy didn't find Jesus, he found Daniel. :shock:

Too bad.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 6 by tam]

Fair enough.

I'm not here to debate.

Thank you for taking the time to read the account.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8